• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Pheasant hunting questions

16 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   nmc02

nmc02

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:20 PM

I am a novice at pheasant hunting. I go once or twice a year. I recently purchased a 20 gauge silver pidgeon over under. My question is....what size shot for pheasant # 5, 4, 6?? Length shell...3 inch or 2 3/4?? Brand shell?? And lastly, what chokes are best for the over under barrels?? Thanks in advance

#2 Male OFFLINE   maximus66

maximus66

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:27 PM

Imp cyl and mod are the only chokes you should need. You cant go wrong with #6 shot, and stick with 2 3/4” shells, its all you need unless you like eating lead and blowing game apart LOL I shoot a 28 gauge with #6 shot out of imp cyl and mod and never needed s tighter choke or bigger shot. Early in the year when the air is less dense i even use 7 1/2 shot
  • Agree x 3
  • Like x 1
  • List
I've hunted with many a dog but never found one that would do it all until i met... The Boykin

#3 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:43 PM

I think if you hunt with a dog that works close, improved for first shot mod for second shot are ideal as Maximus66 said.     If you are anticipating longer shots (like you are hunting without dog, and expect to shoot escaping birds from other hunters), then go mod/full.  If you are hunting with a flushing dog that ranges far, again mod/full.   If you are just walking along flushing your own, back to improved/mod.

I would go with the #6 shot, and when I used to pheasant hunt a lot, always went low brass first shot high brass second...   Seemed to work perfectly.

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:51 PM

That's all the advice you'll need.  They are both spot on.  

• Like x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   nmc02

nmc02

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 04:39 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. What brand shells are best? Looked at remington, federal, & fiocci

#6 Male OFFLINE   maximus66

maximus66

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 05:18 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. What brand shells are best? Looked at remington, federal, & fiocci

All good, i love fiocchi ammo though
I've hunted with many a dog but never found one that would do it all until i met... The Boykin

#7 Male OFFLINE   CapeCod

CapeCod

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 07:55 PM

#6 shot Fiocchi 2 2/3"

#8 Male OFFLINE   Batsto

Batsto

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:19 PM

All light game loads seem to be about the same to me. Get the box that is on sale.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

• Agree x 1
  • List

#9 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 09:41 PM

"what size shot for pheasant # 5, 4, 6?? Length shell...3 inch or 2 3/4?? Brand shell?? And lastly, what chokes are best for the over under barrels?? Thanks in advance"

​I don't see a correct answer for this question other than whatever u seem to down the most birds with.. For me its 2 3/4, 7 1/2 Remington high brass with either a full, modified or improved cylinder choke.. The choke didn't really matter much because I would always get hits in the center of the pattern.. so it was just a matter of selecting how many pellets I wanna put into the bird by using different chokes .. 

•  

:D

#10 Male OFFLINE   LPJR

LPJR

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 09:46 PM

Nick, try these....No complaints, whether with or without dogs for us....

Attached Images

• 632332.jpg

• Like x 1
  • List

#11 Male OFFLINE   Big Joe NJ

Big Joe NJ

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:31 AM

I use what ever 2-3/4 shells I have around with great success. I use standard game loads in low brass with a 12 gauge and have no problem getting birds. At under $7 a box compared to $15+ for high brass my results are pretty much the same. I use a single barrel pump with a mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 Male OFFLINE   Integracingsr

Integracingsr

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:39 AM

All good advice.  I go with Fiocchi #6 2 3/4.. It patterns well out of my over/under.  I use improved and mod chokes because I hunt over my dogs.  As Jack said, my choice of chokes would change if I was hunting without dogs and depending on the situation.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#13 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 12:37 PM

I've been using 2 3/4" high brass #5's in my Stevens 20 gauge O/U. Improved cyl for the top barrel and modified for the bottom. Some swear by 3" shells but I think 2 3/4" does the job just fine

#14 Male OFFLINE   nmc02

nmc02

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:32 PM

Thanks again guys....went w a case of the fiocchi golden pheasant #6 in 2.75. Appreciate the advice
  • Like x 1
  • List

#15 Male OFFLINE   maximus66

maximus66

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:39 PM

Thanks again guys....went w a case of the fiocchi golden pheasant #6 in 2.75. Appreciate the advice

Great choice, for the price no other brand comes close, fiocchi used gualandi wads which are probably the best wads you can find and nickel plated shot. Simply the best in my honest opinion. But as others have said, regular target ammo will kill the birds too, just not as efficient at longer ranges. Now you’re set, GO KILL SOME BIRDS!
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 04:10 PM

I'm sure you know this, but .... practice at the clays range is more important than ammo brand, etc.

Have fun!

#17 Male OFFLINE   LPJR

LPJR

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 11:26 PM

How did I know you were going to buy a case of shells for birds that you go 1-2 times a year for Nick?  :rofl: 

You will have plenty for certain for when your daughter gets her license..........Go big or go home, right? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users