IGNORED

A Hunt To Remember

Woodsman416

Some of you may have read about my Mathews Creed. For others, or those that forgot, a quick recap.

A good friend of mine had quit bowhunting and taken up the dreaded crossbow. After a few years he realized he wasn't enjoying it as much, sold his crossbow and bought a new Mathews Creed. He bought it from Sportsmans Rendezvous. They set it up to shoot then I set it up to shoot well. He was excited to shoot his first deer with it but before he got a chance he passed away suddenly on January 21st, 2016. When they settled his estate, I bought the bow from his heirs. My goal was to set it up to my specs and kill a nice buck with it. I ordered a new cam, installed it and made some other slight modifications and it was good to go.

007.JPG

I hunted with the Creed a few times this year with no shot opportunities. Friday afternoon I planned on hunting a property in zone 11. When I got there the landowners son in law was cleaning out her gutters.

"You gonna go kill a deer for me?" Mark asked.

"Mark, if I get a shot at a doe, I'll take it and drop it off at your house." I replied

He said "I'd appreciate that but just give me a call and I'll come back over here and pick it up."

With that said, I headed into the woods and up into my bank stand. The bank stand is high on a creek bank overlooking a mostly dry oxbow off of the Neschanic River. Really the river is just a small creek at this point. From this stand I can see the entire creek bottom and also deep into the rose thicket on top of the bank. Emil, the previous owner of the Creed, and I set up this stand three years ago. The deer run the top of this bank often. There's a trail that comes in through the thicket at a 45 degree angle that meets the bank 24 yards in front of my stand. Just behind the stand the bank goes from high to low and, as any trapper knows, high to low banks funnel movement. So it's a pretty good setup.

Edited by Woodsman416

I wasn't in the stand very long when I hear footsteps over my right shoulder. Coming down the trail in the thicket are three small bucks. One five point and two spikes. Right on cue they walk to the edge of the bank, scan the creek bottom for a minute than meander off, nibbling on brush as they go. A short while later two more bucks come down the trail. A four point and another spike. They come to the bank and stare down also. But more intently. I look to my left and see a doe on the other side of the creek. I watch as she crosses the creek and heads right to the two bucks. She's walking right to me and at 22 yards she turns broadside and I send the arrow on it's way. She dropped at the shot and never got up. She died right there, 22 yards from my stand. The two bucks stood and watched her for a minute or two and then, growing bored I guess, wandered off too.

I thought about getting down at that point and taking care of the work ahead but it was a beautiful afternoon, starting to cool down nice so I put on a light jacket and settled back in. Good thing I did because it wasn't very long before I had more customers. Behind me and to the right I scanned for noise and came up with two more bucks. About 50 yards back was a three point trailing behind a pretty nice eight point. Unfortunately, they headed away from me and didn't come any closer. After that I spotted first one, than a second buck on the other side of the creek. I glassed them both and they were more of what I'd been seeing. 1 1/2 year olds. It's getting later now, the suns dipping below the trees. I know I'll have to get down soon and get to work, dress the doe and drag it 400 yards to the truck. I don't want it to end. It's been a great afternoon. Nine bucks sighted and a doe down. Yeah, a great hunt! Than I hear running.....

From behind me. I turn around  to see a big doe with two fawns, sans spots, following the bank. They walk right past my tree and continue on in front of me. The doe suddenly turns her head to the right and I follow suit. There, coming down the trail through the thicket are two bucks. One is a spike, I think. I'm not really sure because as soon as I see his traveling companion, I never look at him again! I see lots of points and lots of mass and I grab my bow which is hanging in front of me. Bow in hand, I glance back at the doe. She's got me pegged! She's locked on me like a bird dog. I'm trying to hide behind my bow and I don't think it's working. I move my eyes to look at the buck and he's staring straight ahead at her. Back to the doe she's still locked on me. Back to the buck. He starts moving forward and that breaks her concentration. She circles around him as he comes forward into my shooting lane. The two fawns run interference for me as they trot out of his way and he stops. Broadside. 24 yards. Looking down into the creek bottom. I've already drawn my bow but I don't remember doing it. Pin on his shoulder and I watch the arrow disappear in the crease behind his left front leg. Five deer run off through the thicket. In the dying light I do my best to watch the bucks tail bouncing off. Than all is quite. 

Edited by Woodsman416

Holy shit! Did that just happen? That fast! I'm shaking pretty good. I get myself under control and climb down. I go to where the buck was standing. No blood. No hair. No arrow. I call a friend of mine to tell him what happened. He tells me he'll be there as soon as done work. I went down, checked on the doe and grabbed my arrow, hiked out to my truck and put away my bow. The telephone tree worked that night and as I got to my truck friends starting showing up to help. We got the doe out of the woods and started after the buck. I found blood not to far from the impact site and, although not good blood, we were able to find the buck 80 yards away in short order. To enjoy this hunt, with my friends bow, from a stand we put up together is something I'll never forget. Thanks  to Jackie and Jay and Mark and Mark for all your help! And thanks Emil!

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Edited by Woodsman416