IGNORED

Cops called on me

gobblergetter

So correct through the state of NJ, but just not for NJ residents where an NJ FID would be required to prove your possession is legal. For a non-resident, obviously you wouldn't have an NJ FID, yet you would be in possession but still legal.

That I cannot answer.  That is up to the discretion of the officer who you're having a conversation with.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

That I cannot answer.  That is up to the discretion of the officer who you're having a conversation with.

Right seems odd. I mean the shear principle there is that a non-resident can do things legally within NJ that an NJ resident cannot. Unless I am misinterpreting the interpretation of how things can interpreted? :headscratch:

Right seems odd. I mean the shear principle there is that a non-resident can do things legally within NJ that an NJ resident cannot. Unless I am misinterpreting the interpretation of how things can interpreted? :headscratch:

Nomad's advice is spot on, and so is your assessment.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

This is exactly why I put my FID card in my wallet before I go hunting with any firearm. You never know if you have to stop and get gas or something like that and someone looks in your car and sees a case and then all hell breaks loose (as what happened to GG). I don't want to have to try to claim that I took a "reasonable deviation necessary under the circumstances" - with an FID, you can avoid that discussion and hopefully get on your way.

I do exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason...

What's interesting about that is, say you only inherited firearms...never had an FID, then you could never transport them other than to go hunting or moving (really the only exceptions I'm aware of)?

Is recreational shooting an exception?

Right, in that case (you inherited, but no FID) you can only transport under the exceptions - and yes, recreational shooting at a range is an exception as well so you are allowed to go to a range:

2C:39-6  Exemptions.

f.   Nothing in subsections b., c., and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3)   A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a.)   Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b.)  Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

Note, same thing if, for example, you used to live in another state, legally purchased your long guns there, then moved to live here in NJ and brought your guns with you, but you do not have a FID. Same as if you inherited your guns - you legally own them, but you can only possess/transport via these exceptions.

Read 2C:39-6 - you can see all the exceptions.

there are a lot of good, easy going police officers. and understand that its hunting season and your not a criminal of any sort. 

sucks you had such a crappy situtation though. however, you did not, what so ever, need to show your firearms ID card. the ID card is soley to purchase a firearm. not posses one. a hunting license would be the only thing you needed. and obviously a drivers license, reg, insruance. 

i agree, its a shame the world we live in these days. cant even grab a cup of coffee after a hunt (on the way to work no matter) and not be harrassed. because everyone thinks firearms are the devil. 

however, you did not, what so ever, need to show your firearms ID card. the ID card is soley to purchase a firearm. not posses one. a hunting license would be the only thing you needed. and obviously a drivers license, reg, insruance. 

Are you suuuuure?? I'm telling you, it is incorrect to say "the FID is solely to purchase a firearm, not to possess one." This is a myth.

Read the statute I quoted earlier (2C:39-5). 2C-39-5(c.) clearly indicates it is used to show legal *possession* (the word "possession" is right in the law itself):

2C:39-5(c.)   Rifles and shotguns.  (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

You only do not need an FID *IF* you are possessing/transporting under the exemptions (the word "exemption" is what they use - and it literally means you are exempt from showing a FID if you are in certain situations - that is what 2C:39-6 "Exemption" section is all about - this is where you are exempt from showing an FID if going directly to/from hunting, directly to/from range, and a bunch of other things).

I suggest if folks haven't done so - read 2C:39-5 and 2C:39-6 - they are here:

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/gateway.dll/statutes/1?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=Publish:10.1048/Enu

GG NEEDED to show his FID card because he was NOT transporting as per the exemptions - he was NOT going directly to home from hunting (he went to his work at a jobsite after hunting). That did NOT adhere to the exemption 2C:36(f)(3)(a) ("Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing") and thus he needed to show his FID card or he would have be in violation of the law because his travel did not "include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances".

​"and thus he needed to show his FID card or he would have be in violation of the law because his travel did not "include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances"

​Show us the Statute that's says his travels did not "include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances".. The man had to go to work... That to me seems reasonable and necessary.. Especially in the high tax state of NJ

The law is subjective and / or ambiguous.. How can law abiding citizens possibly not run afoul of such legislation.. Answer?... You cant.. Several people in this thread have already incriminated themselves.. A lot of you are unintended felons who never got caught.. Which, IMO the law was designed to do.. in other words, the law wants you to be in possession of a fire arm at your own risk, and at the mercy of the state government.. 

:D

It's going to get worse next 8 years . No private transfers , ar will be gone asap, no more ordering ammo.

It's going to get bad.

We can only hope it's not 8 years. Maybe with all of the #metoo hub-bub and all the woman coming out of the woodwork claiming sexual harassment against everyone, including politicians, maybe our new guy has some skeletons in the closet just waiting to be exposed?  :hmmmer:

Firearms ID card?  You are not required to carry that when in possession of a firearm.  That is the law in NJ.  It used to say possess but they were forced to remove it by the courts.  I never carry mine unless I am going to buy ammo or a firearm so they are not allowed to ask you for it.

100 percent incorrect

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

sucks you had such a crappy situtation though. however, you did not, what so ever, need to show your firearms ID card. the ID card is soley to purchase a firearm. not posses one. a hunting license would be the only thing you needed. and obviously a drivers license, reg, insruance. 

100 percent incorrect. Read the statutes, all of them including those in the Administrative Code that covers firearms and weapons possession

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I would think the officer already knows everything about you before they step out of the car. They know if you have a hunting license and or FID card, just like they know if you have a driving license, but your still require to have the physical license with you. So just keep the FID in the glove compartment, just in case.