• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Cops called on me

101 replies to this topic

#41 Male OFFLINE   Zipper

Zipper

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:46 AM

Throw a blanket over it.

I'd like to throw a blanket over the head of whoever called the police, and pound the lump out of it.
  • Funny x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List
"All men die, not all men really live". WW

#42 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:48 AM

The law was changed in 2016 when transporting weapons your allowed to stop for coffe , have a sandwich etc normal stuff when ever a situation falls into the gray area the officers are to document only the situation only " not arrest " county prosecutor has final say if person gets charged.

It came from when that guy in south jersey got locked up from after a day shooting think he stopped at his mothers to eat.
But I am sure with the new govenor coming in January the law will change again.

OK, so, to be technical, the "law" was not changed. There is no law that defines "reasonably necessary deviation."

What Christie did was perform an executive action (and you are right, the new governor can revoke this) - he had his attorney general's office issue guidelines to law enforcement agencies giving them instructions how they are to define "reasonably necessary deviation." You can read the official attorney general's guidelines statement here. This NJ.com article and this Politico article describes it.

The attorney general’s new guidelines on gun transport more clearly defines what “reasonable deviations” are allowed, including picking up passengers, buying gas, buying food, using the bathroom, emergency situations and driving around a traffic jam.

So, this is merely "guidelines" issued by the current attorney general's office. As easy as they came, it is that easy they can go. Just as it was easy for the legislature to pass a prohibition against Christie's other executive action expanding the definition of "justifiable need". And I have absolutely every reason to believe our future rabid-anti-gun governor will tell his new attorney general to revoke those guidelines from Christie's administration.

Besides, read these guidelines - when you read it, even WITH the new guidelines in place, you can see how we are to be treated as if we are a criminal UNLESS we can prove otherwise. Here's what you have to look forward to if you want a police officer to NOT ticket you or arrest you if you are stopped and do not have an FID with you:

A police officer stopping a vehicle with firearms . . . should request that the driver disclose the vehicle's point of origin and destination, and also should ask about the route traveled, inquiring whether, for what purpose and for how long the vehicle made any deviations in the course of travel. A police officer also should inquire concerning any intermediate locations where, in the course of travel, the vehicle was parked, the distance of these locations from the intended destination point and route of travel, and the duration of any such stop.

So, be prepared to give an entire log of your drive - where you drove, how long you stayed, how far you traveled, where you are coming from and where you are going to. Not quite a Nazi interogation, but geez, seems all that is missing is "Papers, please!"

"But I don't have to tell the police officer that! I have my rights!" This is correct, but look what happens if you don't:

It should be noted that a citizen cannot be compelled by an officer to make a testimonial statement. If the person fails or refuses to respond to police questions seeking information relevant to whether there was a deviation from direct travel and whether such deviation was reasonably necessary in the circumstances, the officer may in the exercise of his or her discretion proceed as if the exemption does not apply, and may leave the ultimate resolution of the applicability of the exemption to the prosecutor and/or the court.

So basically the police officer can just arrest you or write a ticket and let the courts decide. Awesome.

Finally, here's just another little tidbit to share to show how we are treated like children and can't be trusted to drive around with an unloaded/cased firearm and are considered criminals first, and law-abiding citizens second:

The more direct the route between the points of origin and destination, the more likely the exemption is to apply. An excessively circuitous route weighs against the applicability of the exemption . . . a roundabout route (taken, for example, simply to enjoy the drive) likely would not fall within the scope of the exemption.

God-forbid we drive around because it's a beautiful day and we want to look at the fall leaves turning on our way home from a nice day of hunting.

So, yeah, I'm still carrying my FID even WITH these guidelines in place (which I doubt will remain in place anyway when the new governor is in charge).

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#43 Male ONLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 09:21 AM

Don't know when things changed but it once was The shotgun had to be cased in the car during the hours of darkness after hunting. 

When spotting deer at night no gun ( firearm) can be in Position.

To and from a range Cased with ammo stored separately.

The Rule Out of Sight Out of Mind still stands. 

Was stopped many times on the roads in Oxford and Stocks during hunting season by wardens and asked to see License and for properly plugged shotgun while the guns were in the back seat uncased.   

Or walk along the roadway with an exposed shotgun.  Guess today that calls for the swat team to come after you. 

If and when stopped for any reason by Police the first words are I have Unloaded Firearms in my car. can save a lot of heartaches from not doing so.  And Yes I carry my FID card if Caring Firearms. Mine says carry and Purchase.      

Edited by 1957Buck, 12/06/17 - 09:22 AM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#44 Male OFFLINE   Oddball8945

Oddball8945

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:00 AM

This.I would want to know what kind of whack job is going around casing people's cars.In this state you can be safe in assuming it's either a criminal or a whack job liberal.Either way your a hunter and where severely harrassed.I don't see how that's not hunter harassment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Off topic but i was scouting out a patch of woods closer to my home that were not posted private property..... for trapping season and i had 20 some cops roll up on me. I had my girlfriend at the time in my car and she said a lady came up and asked what i was doing, guess she drove by as i was walking into the woods. She told the truth to the lady and the lady left, gf called me and within 5 minutes of the calls 20 cops came....I walked out and told them the truth, they let me go and gave some BS reasoning not to be in those woods. meanwhile im talking to the cop and hes standing next to shooters, bud light cans on the side of the road and grafitti is spray painted on a bridge 150 yards away. I wonder if the cops come 20 deep for the a$$hats who do illegal sheet.

#45 Male ONLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:12 AM

Off topic but i was scouting out a patch of woods closer to my home that were not posted private property..... for trapping season and i had 20 some cops roll up on me. I had my girlfriend at the time in my car and she said a lady came up and asked what i was doing, guess she drove by as i was walking into the woods. She told the truth to the lady and the lady left, gf called me and within 5 minutes of the calls 20 cops came....I walked out and told them the truth, they let me go and gave some BS reasoning not to be in those woods. meanwhile im talking to the cop and hes standing next to shooters, bud light cans on the side of the road and grafitti is spray painted on a bridge 150 yards away. I wonder if the cops come 20 deep for the a$$hats who do illegal sheet.

You were in Their Spot In my township there is open land according to Township Firearms. allowed map but hear hunters get harassed by local Cops and public works guys who hunt those areas.  :focus:  

• Disagree x 1
  • List

#46 Male OFFLINE   tuny

tuny

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:29 AM

Actually you did not need to show your FID as the hunting license was enough for you to legally carry your shotgun in the vehicle. But then again if you had it so much the better, rather than try and explain the gun laws to cops who may have only read the first portion of the law and not the exceptions to the law.

#47 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:37 AM

Actually you did not need to show your FID as the hunting license was enough for you to legally carry your shotgun in the vehicle. But then again if you had it so much the better, rather than try and explain the gun laws to cops who may have only read the first portion of the law and not the exceptions to the law.

Not true if he was on his way to his job, as he said, "then went to quick check in lake hopatcong for a cup of coffee before continuing a few blocks to the jobsite. Not there 5 minutes and three explorers with four lake hopatcong cops pull up". That is not going _directly_ to or from hunting area which is what the exception says. That is a classic "deviation". Was it reasonable? Necessary? If the police officers determine it is not, you are outside the scope of the exception and illegal. UNLESS he had and can show his FID card (which is what he did).

• Agree x 2
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#48 Male OFFLINE   1563621

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:56 AM

Wow I never knew that! Such bs.
Did they check to see where your ammo Was?
Is it illegal to have ammo in the cab?
Is it illegal to have a magazine loaded but not clipped in the cased gun?
Say you're going from spot to spot all week hunting, can you legally pull the clip, case the gun, and drive from point a to point b with the magazine loaded in a cup holder or coat pocket?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is illegal to have a loaded mag.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#49 OFFLINE   sussexcohunter

sussexcohunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 11:39 AM

where im hunting i have to park on the side of the road across the street from a bank and when i pulled my gun out i felt like i was going to have the cops come because someone was going to call but luckily it didnt happen. 

#50 Male OFFLINE   2 Brits

2 Brits

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 12:15 PM

Things like this are becoming the norm.  Guys, also do yourself a favor and keep your cased guns separate from your ammo.  I have a pickup with a cap, my guns are cased in the seat behind me, ammo is kept in the bed.  If you have a Tahoe or something like that, the ammo has to be kept in a locked box in the rear.  A club member was pulled over one morning while driving (with his orange hat on), State Police saw him and pulled him over.  He was lucky that he just got a ticket for not having his ammo locked in a box in a Chevy SUV. 

It really seems to depend on the cop, as I was pulled over for speeding on route 23 last year, state cop followed me and finally pulled me over.  I always say hi how are you so as not to put them on edge.He stopped by the passenger back window, hand on his gun asking for license etc.  He asked what is in that case?  I told him a shotgun.  He asks where are you going, I told him bird hunting as my one crated dog was barking at him through the window.  He asked me a few hunting questions like whats the limit?  I told him its private, we set our own limit, usually 2 birds by 12 then after that it doesn't matter.  He gave me a ticket for obstructed license plate, second one I've gotten in 2 years - watch those speed traps!  Again I said - "My license plate is clear as day", he smiled.   Afterwards I always say be safe out there.  That one stopped him, he turned around and said thank you. 

• Like x 1
  • List

#51 Male OFFLINE   1563621

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 12:33 PM

Moving to a new house soon. have to transport 20 long guns and 12 or so handguns. Could I have a problem? LOL! No ammo. ammo in storage already.

#52 OFFLINE   Bucndoe

Bucndoe

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 12:43 PM

Never have a magazine loaded. It is an extension of the firearm and thus considered loaded. Carry your hunting licence and FID card at all times during any open season and your covered. Period end of story. If not an open season carry the FID card, covered end of story. If you don't have an FID card and are relying just on the hunting license because of the technical basis that you don't need it, you are an idiot and asking for someone to crawl up your ass with a microscope
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#53 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 12:46 PM

Sorry that happened gg but who the heck was looking into your vehicle!? 

#54 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 01:27 PM

Did they say anything about the dead coons and yotes in the back?

• Winner x 1
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#55 Male OFFLINE   HeadedWest1

HeadedWest1

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 01:27 PM

gobblergetter,

Sorry you had to go through the aggravation but it is the sign of the times. With all the crap going on worldwide and now homeland people are on edge. It's worst with people in the 'burbs and urban areas that are far removed from the land and don't fish and hunt. Like some of the other folks have said put a blanket or something over the gun case. No need to keep it in plane sight just low profile it and you won't have to deal with the uninformed nonsense.

Edited by HeadedWest1, 12/06/17 - 01:29 PM.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#56 Male OFFLINE   1563621

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 01:48 PM

With firearms in vehicle, Make sure you have FID,& Hunting license,& PBA & FOP cards, NO loaded mags!, Etc. LOL!

• Agree x 1
  • List

#57 Male OFFLINE   Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 01:56 PM

Moving to a new house soon. have to transport 20 long guns and 12 or so handguns. Could I have a problem? LOL! No ammo. ammo in storage already.

Among other things don't do stupid things like criminals do to get pulled over.  Things like driving 95 mph or with a broken tail lights, be in possession of drugs etc..

Edited by Gunsmoke, 12/06/17 - 01:57 PM.

#58 Male OFFLINE   gobblergetter

gobblergetter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:43 PM

Did they say anything about the dead coons and yotes in the back?

No...but one of them asked me why I didn't have a deer if I went hunting.
My reply was "If I had gotten a deer and had blood on my clothes the swat team would of probably been called in."
  • Funny x 2
  • Like x 2
  • List

#59 Male OFFLINE   gobblergetter

gobblergetter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 03:47 PM

Sorry that happened gg but who the heck was looking into your vehicle!?

Don't know
I parked by the entrance and locked the doors...went inside and got a coffee so I wasn't gone long. They supposedly followed me to the jobsite site a short distance away.
They put forth an effort to report 'the sighting '

#60 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 04:01 PM

I offered my hunting license , then they wanted my drivers license (to confirm my I.d. ) then my firearms i.d. card. Everything checked out.
I was 100% legit. So no issues...like I mentioned in original post, the cops were pretty cool about it and we actually joked around a little bit. My grip or disbelief is with the general public and how things have changed over the years...what will it be like in another 30 or 40 years ?!?!

Firearms ID card?  You are not required to carry that when in possession of a firearm.  That is the law in NJ.  It used to say possess but they were forced to remove it by the courts.  I never carry mine unless I am going to buy ammo or a firearm so they are not allowed to ask you for it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users