• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Is the 6-Day tradition a thing of the past?

193 replies to this topic

#121 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 07:44 PM

This has turned into a very productive debate. I hope F&G is reading!

but they will fail to listen, follow thru

#122 Male OFFLINE   BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 07:56 PM

too many people want to claim antler restrictions don't help the quality of the herd due to hygrading.

as you stated it is working beyond expectations in PA.

It's obvious AR do help the buck antler quality, and the positive results should occur quickly.   

The problem is, eventually that trend will reverse as you're killing off 50% of the "good antler genes" year after year after year.  It will take some years, of course, but this overall decrease in antler quality will happen.  So by 2030 or so, be on the lookout for lower-quality antlers in the PA herd just like you're now seeing higher-quality antlers in the PA herd.    If not, it will mean that Gregor Mendel guy was full of shit man!

https://www.youtube....bed/GV3E5e7fZ6M

Holy crap that's a significant decline!

Fewer than 1% of New Jersey residents are hunters.   Once the Democrats figure that out, we're screwed.

Edited by BenedictGomez, 12/06/17 - 07:56 PM.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

#123 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:08 PM

Fewer than 1% of New Jersey residents are hunters.   Once the Democrats figure that out, we're screwed.

Not really.  The rest of them want their expensive landscaping jobs to persist without being eaten by deer.  We are the only thing that can manage the herd.  If they want to restrict us, mother nature will rear her ugly head.  That will be a problem they will not be able to fix without us.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#124 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:15 PM

Not really.  The rest of them want their expensive landscaping jobs to persist without being eaten by deer.  We are the only thing that can manage the herd.  If they want to restrict us, mother nature will rear her ugly head.  That will be a problem they will not be able to fix without us.

I truly believe if the democrats in trenton could ban hunting in NJ they would especially firearm hunting.  They would equate firearm hunting with violence and it would pass.  Dumbphucks that they are. 

#125 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:20 PM

I truly believe if the democrats in trenton could ban hunting in NJ they would especially firearm hunting.  They would equate firearm hunting with violence and it would pass.  Dumbphucks that they are. 

You are right, and I wouldn't put it past them.

However, they lose all of that revenue generated from hunting.  They lose the revenue generated from firearms and ammo sales.

Not only will they trigger an ecological disaster, it will also be a financial disaster.  Will that deter the herd of morons in Trenton?  No!  But it will be just one more thing the rest of the country will mock NJ over.

Please, will the last person leaving the state turn the lights out.

• Like x 1
  • List

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#126 Male OFFLINE   smoking gun

smoking gun

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 08:49 PM

I wish I had the time to go all week I would have went again.ill go Friday

#127 Male OFFLINE   CJ3a

CJ3a

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 09:40 PM

Haskell you give them to much credit. They will ban hunting the first chance they get. Start with the gun hunters and the bow guys will support it. Then the bow hunters will fall. Libs will claim they have a birthcontrol method for deer.
  • Agree x 1
  • List
I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

#128 Male OFFLINE   BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 09:49 PM

Not a chance, because they're delusional.   They'll suggest birth control for female deer, vaccinations for male deer, and 101 illogical and ultimately failing liberal "solutions".

IMHO, the only reason liberals dont ban hunting is that the, "you dont need ______ to hunt" with is there #1 favorite gun banning argument.   Liberals hate hunting!

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

#129 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 10:27 PM

I'm not saying they won't do it, they will.  Bear hunt is sure as gone.  But when the rest of the state is dealing with bear issues, and I hope it does not happen, someone else dies, these legislators will be mocked throughout the country.  When bears, yotes, and deer start showing up in substantial numbers in Montclair, Essex Fells, Cherry Hill, Woodcliff Lake (wait, they already have a deer and yote problem), and they destroy property and snack on yip-dogs, people will start to realize that they made a very, very bad mistake.

Headlines in 4 years:  "Murphy administration has no solution for bear problem in Newark"

• Like x 2
  • Funny x 1
  • List

--BBC News

#130 OFFLINE   hunterdan199

hunterdan199

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 11:08 PM

How many acres have we lost since 1971 ???? All those guys mainly hunted six day and doe day. Get it doe dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Not shooting deer from sept to February. I swear some of you guys are kill freaks. Early season is a joke cause deer are getting whacked in every zone and maybe just maybe they get called in.

Antler restrictions in certain zones waste of time cause the smaller ones get shot and get called in other zones.

Bad encomony people eating deer 12 months out of the year.

If this keeps their will be nothing for our children to enjoy.

Sad very sad 6 day is dead !!!!!!

#131 Male OFFLINE   BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12/06/17 - 11:18 PM

How many acres have we lost since 1971 ???? 

Deer have gained more habitat in New Jersey since 1971, which is why there are more deer in New Jersey now than there were in 1971.

Whitetail are an edge-habitat species, and edge-habitat is what is created when chunks of forest are knocked down for housing developments.   

#132 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 12:20 AM

Strato you posted nj doesnt have what it takes to have big deer.
Thats only under the current restrictions.
Just some small changes to let deer get some age on them and show true potential would show we could have better quality deer hunting in just a few short years.

Even with todays regs many great xeer are shot .
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#133 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 06:53 AM

less deer roaming in NJ today then 20/25 years ago.   Unlimited antlerless hunts, 6 months of hunting is nonesense.....Have a few days in mid/late December for shotgun/muzzleloader, January 1st thru 31st bow only, and that's it.

And please STOP  with none sense excuses of  "I HAVE TO TAKE OUT A FEW DOES CAUSE THAT'S ALL WE EAT" if that's the case then you can't afford to live in NJ or "MY BUDDY WHO DOESN'T HUNT WANTS SOME VENISON"  tell your homo friend to man up and hunt or "LAND OWNER SAYS I NEED TO TAKE OUT THE DOES" land owners have no clue what is roaming around, all the deer look the same. POLICE YOURSELF to help the future of hunting here in NJ

Before moving out to western NJ, I lived within a mile of a big archery pro shop and I would hang out there a few times a week BSing with the crew and customers.....some hunters who came in would jump in and BS as well, some would claim they shot 7, 10, 15 plus deer a year, all does/small bucks, claim they are great hunters, and then bitch the state needs to change things cause they have problems seeing deer as each year passes. Well let's see these great NIMRODS kill that many deer without bait in areas like ZONE 3,& 4 deep woods, they would be lost........Just because the State says kill as many as you want, doesn't mean you have too. 

I'm all for statewide antler restrictions, 2 buck tags, use them as you please and if a BB is taken you use one of your buck tags........I can see maybe 4 does per year, per hunter (that can be open for discussion) , stop the unlimited crap, and 6 months of hunting.....few days in mid/late december for shotgun/muzzleloader, and winter bow from January 1-31 then put your equipment away, and wait for trout/turkey season

• Agree x 2
  • List

#134 Male OFFLINE   Buck154

Buck154

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 06:54 AM

Age is the biggest problem here for our bucks. Average age of bucks shot is 1.5 year old. We could have better bucks if they were able to get some age on them. But this is New Jersey  :shakehead:

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1
  • List

#135 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 07:20 AM

Deer have gained more habitat in New Jersey since 1971, which is why there are more deer in New Jersey now than there were in 1971.

Whitetail are an edge-habitat species, and edge-habitat is what is created when chunks of forest are knocked down for housing developments.   

Not quite. There is positively less habitat for all wildlife now than there was in 1971. Any place there is new pavement since then means that habitat was lost. However, some of the remaining habitat has been improved for deer because, like you said, it created edges. And there aren't more deer now than there were in 1971. The number of deer is a little lower now than it was then. It did get higher, much higher, but it's been cut in half since that explosion. Deer are thriving in developed areas not so much because of the edge habitat, that helps for food, but because those small pockets create sanctuaries where they are protected. Deer numbers are drastically lower now than they were in the 1970's, 80's and 90's in most places where hunting access is not a problem, ie. public lands. Could also be a reason small game hunting has declined while deer has become more popular; you can slip into these pockets with a bow to hunt deer, but can't really push through strips of cover between developments with a gun for rabbits.

Edited by DV1, 12/07/17 - 07:22 AM.

• Disagree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#136 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 07:34 AM

I was born/raised in Lodi (Bergen County) lived there for 38 years, only deer seen in my days hung from trees in hunters yards, Now deer are plentiful, and if fact big bucks. Across from Lodi High School is a cemetery loaded with deer, and big bucks as well, parks in Saddle Brook also loaded with deer, Paramus always had small pockets of deer, and the case for many bergen county towns. So the deer are in very good if not great numbers in places where no hunting is allowed or is very limited, versus areas where hunting takes place 6 months per year. I drive from southern warren county to Rahway each day for work, I see more deer near Rahway then where I live.....

#137 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:15 AM

Paying for taking deer does not spread it out like the fish limit. Fish limit puts the same restriction on every single person while the suggested pay to play for deer hunting does not. People with money take more deer  and how does that give other hunters chance at available resources? Limit the bag limit on deer and then you could compare this to fish limit as a meaningful way to give everyone a chance at our resources.

Another problem with paying for each does you kill is the very problem we have with bucks. Once they attached a dollar number to each and every buck it is very hard to reduce the bag limit. This is the problem right now, with I think 6 bucks because each one is worth $28 and they will not give up this money. If you do the same thing with does, charge for each taken, it will be very difficult to reduce the bag limit in the future because the revenue will be directly proportional to number of does killed. Bad all around idea.

#138 Male OFFLINE   Tater1973

Tater1973

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:18 AM

BHC your post from 0653 HRS pretty much nailed it!!!  Agree 100%%%

• Like x 1
  • List

#139 Male OFFLINE   Farmshine

Farmshine

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:30 AM

I was born/raised in Lodi (Bergen County) lived there for 38 years, only deer seen in my days hung from trees in hunters yards, Now deer are plentiful, and if fact big bucks. Across from Lodi High School is a cemetery loaded with deer, and big bucks as well, parks in Saddle Brook also loaded with deer, Paramus always had small pockets of deer, and the case for many bergen county towns. So the deer are in very good if not great numbers in places where no hunting is allowed or is very limited, versus areas where hunting takes place 6 months per year. I drive from southern warren county to Rahway each day for work, I see more deer near Rahway then where I live.....

Southern warren county, especially the 519 corridor gets pounded with deer drives. From the white /hope border south to pohatcong. If you go ten miles east it’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#140 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 08:48 AM

Another problem with paying for each does you kill is the very problem we have with bucks. Once they attached a dollar number to each and every buck it is very hard to reduce the bag limit. This is the problem right now, with I think 6 bucks because each one is worth $28 and they will not give up this money. If you do the same thing with does, charge for each taken, it will be very difficult to reduce the bag limit in the future because the revenue will be directly proportional to number of does killed. Bad all around idea.

Technically each buck today is not a $28 permit.   All around sportsman gets you a winter bow buck, a fall bow buck, and two 6-day bucks.   So that is 4 of the 6.   $28 permit gets you a permit bow and muzzy buck each.  It's the seasons/ weapons where the $ starts to pile up.

The more I think about it the Ohio model is really the best.  It does separate deer hunting from hunting license but requires both, but the deer permit system is much more intertwined with MANAGEMENT and not 100% focused on REVENUE.

The very concept of "permit bow" is stupid....   Just charge more for a bow license, what percentage of bow hunters are NOT doing permit bow?  Has to be miniscule.   Here is my final proposal:

1) You have to buy a hunting license to hunt "anything" in NJ...  NON-REZ needs to be much higher.  The license itself, is not weapon specific, it covers all weapons (but based on season, you need to have proof of hunter safety for gun or bow). If they still want to offer "all around" at a discount - fine, but it does not include ability shoot any deer unless permit process is followed as below:

2) DEER PERMIT EITHER SEX (up to two flexible tags to be used at hunters discretion.)  If you want two - you have to buy them both "together". Price is TBD - perhaps $40 each for rez, $120 for non-rez?   These permits are not zone-specific but each zone will have its own bag limits.

3) DEER PERMIT ANTLERLESS.   Much lower in price - lets say $5 rez, $25 non-rez.  These are not zone specific, but each DMZ will set it's own limits. If you want to shoot multiple antlerless in one day, and not burn your 'either sex' tag, you must have pre-purchased 2 or more antlerless tags.  Based on DMZ limits, you would pre-purchase accordingly as to your plans and needs.

4) Bow season starts late September / Early October based on how the weekend hits, and ends last Sunday in January. 

5) Bag limits are set as per DMZ based on sound "management" principals.   With the permit system is place - all confusion is gone, and it's very easy to figure out and bag limits span ALL SEASONS.  Since there is a maximum of two "either sex" allowed, bag limits really will just need to govern "antlerless" quotas per DMZ

6) Shotgun season stays as is for the "traditional" week.  As stated, antlerless bag limits will be set as per DMZ. Some may allow antlerless to be taken concurrent to 6-day, some DMZs may not. Some DMZs may allow an additional 2 days of shotgun the following Friday/Saturday after 6-day ends and that is ALL for shotgun.

7) Muzzeloader season opens Monday after Thanksgiving, as it has traditionally and runs the usual 2 days.  Some DMZs may allow up to an additional 7 days of muzzy, ending 12/31.   (nothing in January).

This system has something for everyone, and it greatly simplifies the process and if properly priced could maintain current revenue stream, and would not impede the hunter that "needs" to put 12 deer in their freezer every season but would limit that rare breed that needs to kill 6 bucks...    And hey - if it were even remotely possible or enforceable, button bucks would require an "either sex" tag and not an antlerless, but I doubt that would pass because it would probably result in too many untagged buttons or left to rot in woods for all those "mistakes" made by those that for whatever reason, either refuse to look and study before they shoot or have no clue how to tell the difference...

I firmly believe this system is the perfect compromise of quality/quantity if properly executed and managed.

The biggest farce in current limits on antlerless that went from "unlimited" down to 9, or 5, is that it resets with the next season or permit season. My proposal just limits your individual quota per zone and covers all seasons. The F&G Database could be easily designed to track each hunters quotas per DMZ.

Edited by JHbowhunter, 12/07/17 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users