• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Is the 6-Day tradition a thing of the past?

193 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:14 AM

Yesterday there was 1 truck parked in the parking lot at Hamburg Mountain WMA.  This morning there were none. 

Is the craziness of 6-Day a thing of the past?  Now that bow season is 5 months long, we can use crossbows, modern muzzle loaders are basically single-shot rifles, muzzle loader season opens a week before 6-Day, etc. etc.   It seems that very few people hunt 6-day anymore.  

#2 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:19 AM

Gun season no one longer sits. Its push push push. Trespassing, thieves brown and down.
Its sickens me to watch what hunters will do to the herd for the next 2 and a half months.
Id say its over
  • Agree x 10
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:24 AM

The herd is largely improperly managed.  I used to go out and hunt zones 3 and 6 during 6-day.  Now I avoid it like the plague.  Drives and dicks happen in the woods during 6-day, no real hunting to speak of.  Why bother with all that crap?

• Agree x 3
  • List

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#4 Male OFFLINE   buckhound

buckhound

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:25 AM

not in this part of the state lol i seen so many trucks parked at beginning of dirt roads a man could put a kid through college taking them in to where they hunt and picking them up at dark.......

#5 Male OFFLINE   Farmshine

Farmshine

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:25 AM

Yesterday there was 1 truck parked in the parking lot at Hamburg Mountain WMA. This morning there were none.

Is the craziness of 6-Day a thing of the past? Now that bow season is 5 months long, we can use crossbows, modern muzzle loaders are basically single-shot rifles, muzzle loader season opens a week before 6-Day, etc. etc. It seems that very few people hunt 6-day anymore.

I’d say as we “knew it” it’s over. Where it’s going time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   bill43

bill43

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:30 AM

Still a lot drivers in area I hunt. But what I don't see many of anymore on 6day is stand hunters.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#7 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:35 AM

It has not been 6 day for years . Its now 2 1/2 months in most zones.
No urgency anymore for this week
  • Agree x 7
  • Winner x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#8 OFFLINE   SPEARFISH

SPEARFISH

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:35 AM

I was out.  Saw a bunch of guys, heard some shots, saw some deer and my dad got one.  I'll post a report later.

We had fun.

#9 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:36 AM

Yesterday i barely heard any shots all day so who knows but with 6 months to hunt I dont think the need for people to get out during 6 day is there

#10 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:37 AM

Gun season no one longer sits. Its push push push. Trespassing, thieves brown and down.
Its sickens me to watch what hunters will do to the herd for the next 2 and a half months.
Id say its over

But that part of it has ALWAYS been there. Actually in reality  -  the big traditional deer gangs of Sussex County are nearly gone... I grew up into that.  I didn't like it much, when I picked up the bow at age 20 it was quite liberating and I learned how to read deer sign, patterns, food sources, wind direction, stand location, and shot selection.  I lost interest in shotgun hunting over 20 years ago. So much has changed though, the "traditional 6-day" season really needs to change, starting with TWO buck tags...  Ending with "no gun hunting after 6-day, sans a few doe-days".

I sat 6am to 8:30 yesterday with bow, and 2:45pm till dark.  All I saw were several fawns in morning and one lone doe, and just two fawns in afternoon.  I sat in what is arguably the best stand location I have ever known.  However - I already knew that with the full moon and post-rut, the odds of seeing a decent buck to shoot at were as slim as slim can be, combined with all the "pre 6day" activities of all the last minute scouters and bait-dumpers leading up to it.  I heard 3 shots in z5/Fredon in morning, and 2 in afternoon.  Nothing within a mile either.

I know this much - where I used to dream of taking off the entire week (but never was able to), I now refuse to even waste a day on 6-day.  The amount of hunting pressure from archery and the popularity of baiting has these deer completely nocturnal and educated, and the only thing that kept them moving during the day leading up to 6-day was the rut.    If the deer were moving on their own - there would possibly be less inclination for the trespassing deer drivers.  I say give the deer a break - they earned it.

The way deer hunting has evolved into 5 months of crossbow hunting - I think it's time to separate bag limits/tags from seasons and permits...

1) tags should be about quality and management

2) Seasons and Permits should be about revenue

There is a way to "de-couple" them, as I keep harping 2 flexible buck tags a calendar year, NOT to be affixed to any specific season, permit, or weapon.      Antlerless tags must be better managed per DMZ.   Also time to decouple WMA's and Public land from general DMZs, they need much tighter antlerless restrictions.

I swear with just a little bit more thought put into it, there is a way to offer a better quality product that keeps the majority happy, while still taking in the almighty dollar...

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#11 Male OFFLINE   buckfever1974

buckfever1974

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:40 AM

I think it started with the introduction of the early muzzleloader season for sure.  But even so, the early muzzy season isn't as crowded as it has been either.

#12 OFFLINE   Bucndoe

Bucndoe

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:41 AM

I'm in Stokes. There were 10 trucks in here yesterday. Not one except mine now

#13 OFFLINE   jerseybowhunter

jerseybowhunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:46 AM

It's crazy I was just thinking the same thing, I've only been hunting 11 years but I remember sitting my uncles stand in a huge swamp and having clubs driving the highlands around it all week long, hearing a dozen or so gunshots a day, yesterday was ideal hunting weather and I heard 1 club way off and 2 shots from the same guy. I didn't see a deer all day yesterday, I'm sitting my bow stand today in the oaks and saw 4 so far. The past few years my trusty swamp stand really died out because it relied on clubs and other hunters pushing the deer to it. I guess it's a good thing, I just need to adjust to it and start sitting my bow stands this week

#14 Male OFFLINE   buckfever1974

buckfever1974

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:47 AM

There is a way to "de-couple" them, as I keep harping 2 flexible buck tags a calendar year, NOT to be affixed to any specific season, permit, or weapon.      

I know it's a complete money grab but if I bought the buck tag for extended bow and I want to hunt the doe days I have to buy a second buck tag and then muzzy would be a third.

#15 Male OFFLINE   dlist777

dlist777

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:48 AM

It's kind of a good thing though...no?  Not necessarily good that a tradition is dying, but that we have so much more opportunity to hunt.  It's just so much more spread out and I think (all in all) that's a good thing.  

• Agree x 2
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:50 AM

You also have to factor in that to the "gun only" hunter, that might have grown up with 6-day being the one and only "deer season" except for the few that hunted with stick bows (pre wheels) during a much shorter archery season, back then the percentage of bucks per overall herd was a lot higher than it is now.    Compare the total bow harvest back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s to the overall harvest,  versus what it is now, and it's clear that percentage wise, a lot more bucks have been removed from the herd prior to 6-day.

What are better odds to see and kill a buck?

1) Take first week November off and hunt with crossbow

2) Take week of 6-day off and hunt with gun

I would take option 1 any day of the week.

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:52 AM

Some people may not agree with this but I am sad I missed out on what the traditional way of 6 day was as I only started hunting 5 years ago. 

#18 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:52 AM

As NJ public land got more and more crowded during 6 Day, my dad and I stopped hunting it entirely.  About 20 years passed without us setting foot on NJ land during a gun season.  We decided about 10 years ago to get back out and give it a whirl.  The WMAs were packed for Monday and Tuesday and then again on Saturday.  We were surprised to see the WMAs getting driven on opening day though.  Fast forward about 3-4 years.  The WMAs were empty. The Pennsylvania guys showed up bright and early on opening day, 5-6 pickup trucks full of guys, and they drove the shit out of every inch or land for all 6 days. We tried different Zone 5 and Zone 7 pieces each day and it was all the same.  The standers would come in and literally line up on either side of us.  Didn't give a shit that someone was already sitting there.   Then they would "brown and down" the hell out of each piece.  So we stopped hunting NJ during gun season again. 

If you want my honest opinion on what would make 6 day tolerable, ban deer drives that have greater than 4 people and ban non-resident firearm license sales. Unless you're hunting private land, NJ mostly sucks to hunt deer on anyway.  The PA crowd doesn't come here for a trophy buck experience, they come here to beat the shit out of the land and kill anything brown. Or, change all of the regulation sets to not allow any does to be shot during 6 day.   That will deter many of the drivers and out of state crowd anyway

Edited by not on the rug, 12/05/17 - 08:55 AM.

• Like x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#19 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 08:59 AM

The "tradition" for me every 6-day was to get set up on by very rude and nasty people that have no care about how public land works, not drivers mind you, othe pot hunters, like yesterday, 2 idiots wanted to go by me further on the hill I was sitting right into where the deer where, they gave me crap for asking them to do the right thing and go back the way they came, it's been that way for me since I started gun hunting deer more than 25 years ago, and the reason I find. It distasteful these days, I can count on one hand the times I did NOT have some guy giving me crap for getting to a spot first.
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#20 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12/05/17 - 09:00 AM

While talking about the bear hunt yesterday on 101.5 they brought up they felt the deer were not being managed correctly.
They said since there are still 26000 deer struck by cars that not enough deer where being shot.
And that the legislature should change the bag limits to allow more harvest LOL

Guys called in and said maybe the town's showing high accident rates should open more area to hunting .
  • Like x 2
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users