IGNORED

All around hunting dog???

Probably any of the dog breeds listed would fill the bill,but due diligence is required to get the best hunting breeding you can find,had French britts for many years from good bloodlines fantastic hunters probably too small for geese! The pup I now have ( Pudelpointer) can handle just about anything,I'm not a waterfowl hunter but many who own this breed are and tell me they are incredible,So far this dog has been a pheasant hunting machine at such a young age,scored perfect on his navhda NA test,but as stated by someone previously you might have a wait for a dog! After a few weeks layoff Saturday had seven finds great points and a few relocates,harvested all seven birds! Still not a lost cripple!

Poodle pointer so I'm assuming it to poodle and a German short hair pointer looks almost like a Griffon with that face!

I'm okay with waiting also want to be able to train in the spring before the season starts.

how young is too young to train or how old is too old to train? I assume between 6 months to a year is the best time to train?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You could always look into Vizslas, very people oriented dogs that have historically been used on everything from upland and water fowl, to deer and hogs. These days they are used mostly on upland game.image.jpegimage.jpeg the late great Attila.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I am not too knowledgable with using dogs.

But I hear for locating, tracking, and hunting different types of Cans.

Nothing beats a trained German Sheppard, or Doberman. :up:

The local police have been using them for years.

Like I said, no personal experience, just word of mouth.

Happy Hunting.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Poodle pointer so I'm assuming it to poodle and a German short hair pointer looks almost like a Griffon with that face!

I'm okay with waiting also want to be able to train in the spring before the season starts.

how young is too young to train or how old is too old to train? I assume between 6 months to a year is the best time to train?

The Pudelpointer has nothing to do with poodles or German shorthairs it's a breed from the early 1800's derived from the German water pudel and the English pointer,it's a breed highly regulated as to breeding,dogs have to achieve minimum scores to be able to breed.They have specifically been kept out of the show ring to maintain their hunting traits! My pup was born in April and started training at 8 weeks,his first hunting year started at 6 months and wound up shooting over 150 birds over him.everybody has their own opinions about training,you have to look at the individual dog and his progression!And by the way they don't shed their coat varies in length and color!

IMG_0565.JPG

Edited by Tallman

The Pudelpointer has nothing to do with poodles or German shorthairs it's a breed from the early 1800's derived from the German water pudel and the English pointer,it's a breed highly regulated as to breeding,dogs have to achieve minimum scores to be able to breed.They have specifically been kept out of the show ring to maintain their hunting traits! My pup was born in April and started training at 8 weeks,his first hunting year started at 6 months and wound up shooting over 150 birds over him.everybody has their own opinions about training,you have to look at the individual dog and his progression!

Wow thanks for the education! Definitely one to look into... How about a breeder anyone local and reputable?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I can't answer for retrievers or spaniels, but for pointing dogs I  start with yardwork at 16 weeks.  it is play training and of very short duration, but it is training, nonetheless. 

There is no magic age when a pup is ready for more.  There is no breed where all the dogs come along faster or slower. It all depends on the dog and the trainer.    Some dogs come along faster than others, some dogs need a softer hand than others, some get bored with rote training faster than others(this IMO tends to be somewhat breed  specific), but ultimately, the trainer needs to be able to read the dog and give them what they need...when they need it.

One of the  things I like about doing yardwork at a young age and watching the puppy learn and respond is that, if you pay attention to the body language and responses of the dog, you get a sense of how it reacts when it understands and how it reacts...when it is unsure. 

The other thing I like about yardwork with youngsters is that they get to bond with you, learn to take direction from you, and, hopefully, learn to trust and like you.

RayG

FWIW, the conventional wisdom regarding bird dogs is that steadying them to wing and shot is usually done between 12 and 18 months of age. 

I personally have steadied pointers as early as 9 - 10 months and they were dead broke by the time they were a year old.  I have also had pointers who were NOT reliably steady at 2 years of age.  Different breeding, different individual dogs...different timeline and schedule.  it takes as long as it takes.

I recently took in a Borador (border collie/Labrador) and he's done a great job upland hunting, water retrieving and tracking wounded deers. If I didn't take him in as a rescue I was looking at getting a Griffon as well. But I couldn't be more pleased with the dogs hunting ability to date even though he's still relatively young(just turned 2 last month)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas on where to find a Griffon breeder?

Probably any of the dog breeds listed would fill the bill,but due diligence is required to get the best hunting breeding you can find,had French britts for many years from good bloodlines fantastic hunters probably too small for geese! The pup I now have ( Pudelpointer) can handle just about anything,I'm not a waterfowl hunter but many who own this breed are and tell me they are incredible,So far this dog has been a pheasant hunting machine at such a young age,scored perfect on his navhda NA test,but as stated by someone previously you might have a wait for a dog! After a few weeks layoff Saturday had seven finds great points and a few relocates,harvested all seven birds! Still not a lost cripple!

Where to find a reputable breeder?

Okay now that you guys confused the crap out of me. Who knows where I can find a breeder or a rescue for the following:

Labs

Griffon

Pudelpointer

Vizla

It's confusing because there is no right or wrong answer. Guys are giving you the benefit of their experiences, but no two dogs are ever the same.

If you want an "all around" dog (family pet, upland, and waterfowl), my advice would be boykin, lab, or springer.

There are a lot of breeders and rescue outfits out there, a Google search will keep you busy for a few days. But if you are serious about a hunting dog, I would find a reputable breeder (possibly start a post here listing a specific breed), and ask the breeder to let you hunt with the parents for a few hours, with some luck, the genetics will be passed along to the pup. I know getting a rescue dog is the "right thing to do" (I have one), but you really are taking a chance not knowing the pup's background.

Edited by Stan Putz

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: