IGNORED

bird hunting without a dog on off-stocking days?

mazzgolf

The posters that told you to go on stock days after 11 AM are giving you good advice. So are the folks who are telling you to go the next day after the sun comes up and warmsthe field edges.

In the afternoons of stocking days, you will often see a lone hunter with a dog. Wave and head towards their general area. If they veer away, they don't want company. If they don't, they might be willing to let you come along.

Many folks with dogs are out there more for the dog work than the birds.

RayG

Hey, Ray... great advice. I just got to experience this very thing this afternoon! I have off today so I decided to hit a field for an afternoon hunt. As I'm putting my coat on in the parking area, a guy I've never met before parks his truck next to mine. He gets out and let's his two pups out and without me saying a word other than "Hi, how are you doing?" he invites me to join him and his dogs for a hunt!!

The guy said what you said - he really just wanted to come out and give his dogs some exercise and let them work some birds. He kindly let me take this cock bird that his dogs found.

Really nice guy, and I had an awesome time.

pheasant.jpg

Another way to do it is in fresh snow.  Hit hedgerows fields, bushes,etc until you get on some fresh tracks.  Follow the tracks slowly. You will get birds. Where do you live?  I'll take you out with my dog if you are any where north of route 22/78

Nice offer... thanks. But I'm all the way down here in south Jersey by the AC Expressway.

I can remember a couple years ago some friends and I went to GameCreek preserve and hunted some birds in the snow. It almost felt like cheating :happy:  It was fresh snow - we could even see the tire tracks where the guys drove out so we even knew the spots where they released them.  :laughing: