IGNORED

588.5 LBS

Russ 11

Was the live weight of the bear my son took on opening day of the October hunt . I was hesitant to post because of all the BS going on about the hunt and a youth being involved . I actually contacted a few members on here to discuss my concerns and they were very helpful and understood I was in a tough situation . Things have cooled down and it's time to tell you about our hunt .

We didn't put a bait out until the week before the opener . We were trying to help the farmer out on the bear damage to his corn crop . Every year he plants corn the Bears hit it hard . So we set up in an island of woods surrounded by corn. We had a nice blow down as a natural blind . We had a bear come thru in the morning but just cruised thru the island and into the corn . As you remember the weather was horrible and we were not optimistic of our afternoon sit but he wanted to go so I was all in . After sitting in the rain for awhile we kept hearing something in the corn but wasn't sure if it was deer or a bear . Well out he came but was hesitant to commit . Back in the corn he went and this went on for 15/20 minutes . Finally he decided to come and I told my son we have to wait for the right shot . It was close to 10 minutes before he gave us the shot and like a seasoned vet my boy smoked him and into the corn he bolted . He didn't make it 40 yards before he crashed . It was a little freaky tracking a bear in standing corn in the dark but he didn't go far . To say we were overwhelmed at the size of this boar is an understatement . We had no idea something that big was around . I was so proud of the way my son handled the situation and kept his cool . It's something we will never forget . Oh and thank God for good friends and a Mahindra tractor !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Congrats to him and you. Monster boar with a huge head. What was the dress weight?

We brought him to the check station without gutting him because it was getting late and we wanted to make it before they closed . Don't know what the dressed weight was . I'm sure there is a formula you can use . I would think close to 500 .