IGNORED

STUMPED - Tree ID, please

LittleM

New Brunswick/Piscataway would be, at best, 6 so I don't think it would survive a winter.  I thinks its on Cook Campus and if so, its prolly some obscure tree that got planted by some dendrologist or someone from the LA Dept.  Back inmy day there, there was some cool plant material scattered over that campus as well as in the display gardens.  My first guess was Ben Franklin Tree, but that does not seem to be it, either.

LittleM, any chance you knew my wife's uncle, David Lewis?  Retired Rutgers plant pathology professor that was likely responsible for some of those odd plantings.  His life's work was mostly with rhododendrons.  We have one of his hybrids in our yard here in Flanders.  He also taught photography at Rutgers.     

LittleM, any chance you knew my wife's uncle, David Lewis?  Retired Rutgers plant pathology professor that was likely responsible for some of those odd plantings.  His life's work was mostly with rhododendrons.  We have one of his hybrids in our yard here in Flanders.  He also taught photography at Rutgers. 

Name sounds familiar, but that was a LONG time ago and I was in the Landscape Architecture Department.  I wanna say I had a prof with the last name of Lewis, but that would have been in a remote sensing class..........

Better pics supposedly coming some time today

So originally I called it a non-magnolia because a botanist friend of mine said it wasn't so, based on the original pics, but he was thinking native which has whorled leaves at the terminal branch's.  After some more pics, I had a guess what it was, but still was not 100 percent sure and it pissed me off so I left work yesterday afternoon and met my daughter on campus.  As soon as she said we had to walk over to Woodbury dorm, I knew it was a Saucer Magnolia - there were a bunch of them there way back when I lived in that dorm.  So that's what they were.

She had guessed that as well, but her TA said they were Star Magnolia's, which they were not.  He also told the class that a red-osier dogwood was a silky dogwood.  How you mess that up I don't know but I asker her to break a stem to see what color the pith was.  Brown pith  = silky.  She could teach that class.  I could teach it better.

I was TA for the general ecology classes back in 86-88. 

Hmmmmmm.  I was there 85-89.  Landscape Architecture.  I did take one general ecology class, but I do not remember a lab with fieldwork for that.  I was TA for LA Construction.  We had many plant classes with labs, but they were al titled "Landscape Plants", tho we did learn all the natives.  Lots of cool stuff planted around Campus.  Maybe you knew or heard of Bruce "Doc" Hamilton?  Or Roy DeBoer?  That's where there might have been some cross-over.

Lets go to Ag Field Day this coming spring and drink beer all day at Red Oak Lane.

Maybe you knew or heard of Bruce "Doc" Hamilton?  Or Roy DeBoer?  That's where there might have been some cross-over.

We were there at the same time.  But I didn't have either of them, I was in grad school for wildlife management.  Most of my classes were with Dr.'s Wolgast, Kuser, and Applegate.  I lived on Dr. (Lenny) Wolgast's tree farm.