• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Hand gun Question .

66 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Capt Hook

Capt Hook

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:11 PM

I have a big bag of Popcorn ready. Iam a shotgun Rifle person ,and looking for a good hand gun for the house .my question is this .what would be a good house pistol ? for   this ? thank you .

#2 Male OFFLINE   Psehunter

Psehunter

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:15 PM

Your better off with your shotgun for home protection but if you really want a hang gun look at the taurus judge and put some bird shot in it..

Edited by Psehunter, 11/14/17 - 01:17 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   Swamprat

Swamprat

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:23 PM

Glock 19 - 9mm
If you're a revolver guy,look at k frame 357/38. 4" barrel.
  • Winner x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:25 PM

I moved this from Deer Hunting to General Hunting.  We don't really have a nice neat fit for topics like this, so I dumped it here.  

And my home defense is a .44 mag.  But only because I don't have a .40 or 9mm semi auto.   

#5 Male OFFLINE   Farmshine

Farmshine

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:46 PM

Pistol grip shotgun like the mossberg “just in case” is my favorite. To answer your question I’d consider a SnW 357 mag, .44 or .454 casull. There are larger caliber options too. You want stopping power. A 9mm is nice to shoot but not great stopping power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Disagree x 2
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:49 PM

I prefer a shotgun for home defense.  I like to load buckshot, but just about anything would work well at close range

If I was going for a semi- it would be a 10mm or maybe a 40 cal.  Good mix of stopping power and control-ability for most shooters.  You never know what can happen in a home defense situation and your wife or child may have to be the one pulling the trigger

"that helpful a**hole"

#7 Male OFFLINE   Bones

Bones

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 01:59 PM

You don't want over penetration so make sure you use frangible rounds
Especially if you have loved ones in other rooms or neighbors close by.
Shooting someone with birdshot won't stop them from killing you.
If you are shooting someone in NJ you better make sure it's life or death for you or your family, so I would use a single projectile
.45 should do it frangibile of course.
Shotguns and rifles are hard to move around in the house going through doorways and around corners.
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:14 PM

You don't want over penetration so make sure you use frangible rounds
Especially if you have loved ones in other rooms or neighbors close by.

Shooting someone with birdshot won't stop them from killing you.

Shotguns and rifles are hard to move around in the house going through doorways and around corners.

Agreed on the penetration aspect. 

The other 2 points have actually been discussed to death and proven false over and over.   Any shotgun round from close range is absolutely lethal.  Home defense shots are extremely close range.  You're not spraying an intruder at 30 yards, you're shooting at 10-15feet, maybe less.   Birdshot, game loads and even buckshot don't have the distance to actually spread out more than a couple of inches and will be 100% lethal at any interior range. 

As for the maneuvering indoors, the difference is negligible.  shoulder a defense shotgun, or hold it at the hip.  figure out the distance it protrudes from your body.  Then hold a handgun in a firing position.  measure the distance to the tip of the gun.  The difference won't be more than a few inches. 

There are a million side by side comparison tests, taking in to account accuracy, speed of firing, buckshot/birdshot/game load, and it more or less boils down to most things ending up equal.   

Shoot what you feel comfortable shooting, but know that the only true reason to be shooting it is because you're comfortable doing so, not the old wive's tales that won't seem to go away 

• Agree x 2
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#9 Male OFFLINE   HeadedWest1

HeadedWest1

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:14 PM

A short barrel home defense shotgun with personal defense buckshot would do the trick. The only thing is being able to maneuver in tight quarters at home. Another option would be a .40 or .45 cal. semi-auto with night sights or a crimson laser light. Make sure you load dependable non-penetrating bullets. Practice, practice, practice. And of course keep it secured and away from children. Do your research and handle as many guns as possible to see which one you're comfortable with. Be safe.

#10 Male OFFLINE   sicrado

sicrado

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:25 PM

Ill just leave this here....

• Funny x 2
  • List

“There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.”

#11 Male OFFLINE   Slayer1962

Slayer1962

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:28 PM

I have a snub nose .38 that I would use to get to my 12 gauge.

• Like x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   sicrado

sicrado

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:32 PM

but in all seriousness, a 9mm with hollowpoints ....offer more rounds, and have a much more controllable recoil

“There’s a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.”

#13 Male ONLINE   vdep217

vdep217

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:36 PM

For strictly hone defence get a revolver in 357 but keep 38s for home. Here is my thinking. As said above a family member might be put in the situation to use it. Now think of this even if u bring them to the range or yourself and get really familiar with the gun. In the unfortunate event that u need to use it it Will be very high stress. Can u confidently say that in the event of a malfunction you or family will be able to drop mag rack slide reseat mag and rechamber a round. Probably not. If a revolver ftf you pull the trigger again. Again my opinion but you ate talking a situation where your life and family life will depend on it.
  • Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   Bones

Bones

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:49 PM

Agreed on the penetration aspect. 

The other 2 points have actually been discussed to death and proven false over and over.   Any shotgun round from close range is absolutely lethal.  Home defense shots are extremely close range.  You're not spraying an intruder at 30 yards, you're shooting at 10-15feet, maybe less.   Birdshot, game loads and even buckshot don't have the distance to actually spread out more than a couple of inches and will be 100% lethal at any interior range. 

As for the maneuvering indoors, the difference is negligible.  shoulder a defense shotgun, or hold it at the hip.  figure out the distance it protrudes from your body.  Then hold a handgun in a firing position.  measure the distance to the tip of the gun.  The difference won't be more than a few inches. 

There are a million side by side comparison tests, taking in to account accuracy, speed of firing, buckshot/birdshot/game load, and it more or less boils down to most things ending up equal.   

Shoot what you feel comfortable shooting, but know that the only true reason to be shooting it is because you're comfortable doing so, not the old wive's tales that won't seem to go away

Hold a handgun at the tactical ready when moving through a doorway or around corners doesn't allow someone hiding behind a door or hard corner from grabbing your gun from you it's hard to go into a room with a long rifle without your rifle being the first thing through the door.
As far as bird shot
Yes it most certainly can be fatal but more times then not it's not instant fatality and that's what you need to end a deadly situation.
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#15 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:52 PM

For strictly hone defence get a revolver in 357 but keep 38s for home. Here is my thinking. As said above a family member might be put in the situation to use it. Now think of this even if u bring them to the range or yourself and get really familiar with the gun. In the unfortunate event that u need to use it it Will be very high stress. Can u confidently say that in the event of a malfunction you or family will be able to drop mag rack slide reseat mag and rechamber a round. Probably not. If a revolver ftf you pull the trigger again. Again my opinion but you ate talking a situation where your life and family life will depend on it.

I am not sure you have to drop the magazine if you have misfire. All you have to do is to pull the slide back and release. This will eject the misfired round and put new one in.

#16 Male ONLINE   vdep217

vdep217

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:54 PM

#17 Male ONLINE   vdep217

vdep217

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 02:55 PM

I am not sure you have to drop the magazine if you have misfire. All you have to do is to pull the slide back and release. This will eject the misfired round and put new one in.

if the round is miss fed from the mag u may hsve to

#18 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 03:00 PM

Hold a handgun at the tactical ready when moving through a doorway or around corners doesn't allow someone hiding behind a door or hard corner from grabbing your gun from you it's hard to go into a room with a long rifle without your rifle being the first thing through the door.
As far as bird shot
Yes it most certainly can be fatal but more times then not it's not instant fatality and that's what you need to end a deadly situation.

Agreed on the moving through doorframes and rounding corners.  In my understanding, home defense situations invlove a whole lot less of that  type of movie-scene action and a whole lot of point and squeeze and try not to die of a heart attack from utter fear.  

You think that shooting someone with birdshot at 10ft won't kill them instantly?  Remember that at close indoor ranges, no shotgun round will actually have the time to spread more than an inch or two.  A birdshot round is guaranteed to punch a fist sized hole in someone's chest or take half of their head off at that range.  I wouldn't want to shoot them at 30 yards with it, but if they were standing in my hallway, it would drop them in their tracks.  If you don't believe me, test it out the next time you're at the range.  Get yourself some 3/4" or 1" plywood and rip some birdshot at it from 5ft, 10ft, 15ft and 20 ft.  See what happens to the wood and how big of a shot pattern you get.  Do the same with some waterfowl loads and some buckshot.  The holes won't look much different at very close range.  

I'm in agreement that you need to kill the guy and neutralize the situation immediately and I load with 00buck in my primary home defense weapon.  I'm just saying that birdshot will get the job done in a pinch.  Let me see if I can find some of the articles I've read in the past

Edit:  Here are a few links

http://blog.cheapert...e-lets-science/

https://www.shooting...r-home-defense/

https://www.outdoorh...e-home-defense/

Edited by not on the rug, 11/14/17 - 03:04 PM.

• Agree x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#19 Male ONLINE   dlist777

dlist777

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 03:06 PM

One?  You need many.  I have a few spots around the house where I have a little pistol safe tucked away and I have a 9mm in them.  You never know where you'll be when someone tries to get in.  I'd at least have one on each floor.  

In my bedroom, I have a mossberg 500 with buck shot ready to go.  If I have a choice, that's what I'll go for first.  

#20 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 11/14/17 - 03:06 PM

I agree, in the up close and personal situation you have in a home invasion, the " point and click " aspect of 12ga at close range will end a threat on the spot, high brass 6's with an ounce and a quarter shot load will rip a 3" entrance and a basket ball size exit, no one is getting up from that, that said, my go to was a pump loaded with 000.
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users