IGNORED

Public hunting land tree stand placement ediquit

muzzy1

Got to my spot today on public ground only to find a climber tree stand locked to a tree within 40 yards of my hang on.the guy also baited it with about 50 lbs of corn.I know it's not my land it's everyone's but I personally would have kept looking around until I was at least 1 or 200 yards from the nearest guy.what would you do?

I don't hunt public land but I think 40 yards is uncalled for. However; as you said you don't own the spot so why should it be of limits 24/7 while you maybe there only one time per week or so?

Keep hunting the stand  if you get to your stand before he gets there.

Sometimes you just don't see the lock on or ladder stands based on foliage and he may just have missed it. We all try to keep our stand and blinds as concealed and unintrusive as possible. Leave a note on his climber and be polite about it. Possibly leave a contact #. Don't always assume the worst.

Edited by buckfever1974

I've seen 2 climbers (knew) not even locked 50 yds apart w/a feeder and one was 10' feet from my tree hook which had a water bottle hanging from it. Since I use a climber I just moved on . I hunted every other day usually and never seen anyone in the stands. Come gun season no tracks, but I did take 2 does which dropped 20 yds in front of the stands, next time there feeder and stands gone.

Edited by jerseyhunter

The state woods spot where I got my 12 pointer this year had a guy set a ladder up 70 yards from my spot.  I ran into him earlier in the year and told him good luck and told him I will still be hunting it. He first had a pile further from my spot but than week before he put a pile on either side. The one was 40 yards.

The joys of state land hunting, good luck!!

Vice President Piedmont Chapter NWTF, Christian Bowhunter, NRA,  EX resident of Communist Jersey

Personally if I wasn't there first I try to stay away, problem is as mentioned before lot of guys will hang a stand and then just leave it. Tough to tell what is an active stand. 

Vice President Piedmont Chapter NWTF, Christian Bowhunter, NRA,  EX resident of Communist Jersey