IGNORED

Carrying and/or shooting on your own property.

Livesintrees

So I’ve been reading laws and statutes etc. pretty much gotten my answer. Last step will be contacting local police to confirm. However I figure some here may have gone through this already. So here goes.

Basically I’m purchasing a home with land tomorrow. Sussex County. 60 acres total. I fully intend to carry a firearm of some sort when I’m in the woods checking cams or planting food plots or walking the dogs etc. Not while hunting of course as it’s against he law as I understand it anyway. In addition to carrying, I also intend to confirm that say my shotgun or muzzleloader are still on. Handful of shots here and there. Not a 1000 round barrage.

My understanding is as long as I’m on my property (in this case the woods etc) I’m fully legal to carry a firearm whether concealed or openly. Also assuming proper backstop and safe direction (of course) I’m also legal to shoot on the property as well. Town has no laws against discharge so I’m good there or I obviously wouldn’t have purchased.

Anyone have input, or gone through a similar situation? What are your experiences.

The only sad thing about this post is that we have to even think about this sh*t here in NJ.  But as Haskell_Hunter said, you're good to go on your own land.  And don't worry about the barrage of 1,000 rounds, it is still America after all, even if a bit less of America than most other states.  We shoot sometimes on the property I manage in Sparta and only once did the cops show, but it was a Sunday and the neighbor complained that we were hunting.  Once the officer arrived and saw it was target practice, he said "fire away, I'll let the neighbor know you're fully within your rights".  That was the last time they called.    

The only sad thing about this post is that we have to even think about this sh*t here in NJ.  But as Haskell_Hunter said, you're good to go on your own land.  And don't worry about the barrage of 1,000 rounds, it is still America after all, even if a bit less of America than most other states.  We shoot sometimes on the property I manage in Sparta and only once did the cops show, but it was a Sunday and the neighbor complained that we were hunting.  Once the officer arrived and saw it was target practice, he said "fire away, I'll let the neighbor know you're fully within your rights".  That was the last time they called.

100% agree. However having the Neighbors accept what your doing and thing to prevent future issues is why I wouldn’t blow off a case through my AR. I go to cherry ridge for that!

100% agree. However having the Neighbors accept what your doing and thing to prevent future issues is why I wouldn’t blow off a case through my AR. I go to cherry ridge for that!

What happens if one of your buddies (lets say in this case your BEST buddy) wants to bring an old washer/dryer and light it up with 1000 rounds of .223? Are you going to stop him from doing so?

Welcome to Sussex buddy! Where about you gonna be? I got food plot stuff if you need to borrow..(quad attachments to till and spread seed, spray, etc.)

60 acres- living the dream! Congrats!

But are you sure you wanna go to the closing? I mean Murphy just won... I'd think twice.. maybe a nice place in another state would be better. .

Anyway, fire away! Lmk when you close I'll come by with my stand ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Your land, you may carry, and shoot all you want.....no different then if one lived in a urban area and they had a gun on their hip inside their home or on their property, step off the property then of course a different story cause this is "THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF NJ" 

Welcome to Sussex buddy! Where about you gonna be? I got food plot stuff if you need to borrow..(quad attachments to till and spread seed, spray, etc.)

60 acres- living the dream! Congrats!

But are you sure you wanna go to the closing? I mean Murphy just won... I'd think twice.. maybe a nice place in another state would be better. .

Anyway, fire away! Lmk when you close I'll come by with my stand ;)

Vernon township. And I may take you up on it. Your attachments that is. got a lot of trees to clear first. It’s all woods

And J Needs Trees on is Lot. talk to him before you go Chain Saw Happy and clear more than Necessary.

Not sure what you mean exactly. And when I say all woods I mean not a spec of open ground. Gotta cut anyone as required by woodland management program. I like to think I have a very good handle on my plans and goals. For once the work will pay off without the fear of losing a property year to year.

Not sure what you mean exactly. And when I say all woods I mean not a spec of open ground. Gotta cut anyone as required by woodland management program. I like to think I have a very good handle on my plans and goals. For once the work will pay off without the fear of losing a property year to year.

As long as your neighbors are cool.. a neighbor can ruin all your fun.. and you can't just walk away if that's the case when you own it.

Good luck to you on your future paradise!

Not sure what you mean exactly. And when I say all woods I mean not a spec of open ground. Gotta cut anyone as required by woodland management program. I like to think I have a very good handle on my plans and goals. For once the work will pay off with out the fear of losing a property year to year.

You are living my dream, trees!! Congrats & happy hunting.

As long as your neighbors are cool.. a neighbor can ruin all your fun.. and you can't just walk away if that's the case when you own it.

Good luck to you on your future paradise!

Neighbors don’t have much of a choice to be quite honest. If they don’t like hunting they aren’t gonna like me.