IGNORED

2017 Ohio recap - 2 BBD's, a true hunting adventure...

JHbowhunter

Congrats to the both of you guys again. Amazing animals they are and the bigger they are the tougher they are. With one lung they can go a long ways but still crazy he would go straight up that hill at the end.

Deer out there in the old strip mine areas are a different breed.

unlike many areas where deer travel a more gradual bench, out there they run up and down the ravines where ever they want at a given moment.

more like goats than deer.

Many bucks when skinned have 0 fat on them. look more like you skinned a rabbit than a deer.

guessing they are in better shape too, which makes them tougher to kill

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Awesome hunt and finale Jack, congrats. 

Since you asked...I think you went across the top of the nearside lung and punched through the off side lung. It's a double lung hit but not "solid" double lung, and sometimes more like a single lung hit.  They can go a long ways like that, as you found out.

From the pic of the entry wound, seems like the crack you heard could have been the scapula right in the area where the spine dips down. The closer to edges of the lungs you hit, the less damage you do. Hitting closer to the center results in more damage. The mainstream bronchi or lobar bronchi (the bigger branches of the tree) result in dead deer quickly. If you hit closer to the edges of the lungs, you get the segmental bronchi (small branches on the tree) and while it's still double lung, they don't always die as quickly.

I was out there most of the time you were, came back a few days before. Weather was pretty rough and I saw very little deer activity. I was just below where you were, not far from rt 77.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Congrats on a successful hunt. I just returned from Illinois for a few days, weather (temps) were not cooperating and the full moon and corn still standing all around me made hunting a little more difficult. I grazed a big 9 pt chasing a doe on my 2nd day. I had a big 10 pass by my stand that I couldn't find that morning due to some excessive vegetation still on the trees. I pulled the camera card the next day when I found the stand to see him walk past at 8am.  Rut activity was off and on. I had 2 encounters with some really good bucks on 2 trips so far. Heading back out in a few days for the gun season and looks like I will have a late season bow tag in my pocket. Temps were dropping as I was getting on the plane this morning. Things should be crazy towards the end of the week into next week out west. I did see a real nice buck 150+ bedded in the road next to a road kill doe. Crazy. Never seen that before

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com