IGNORED

CWD-Question for the Jersey Hunters

Now that CWD had been confirmed in the Pa. a lot of guys are stopping the use of any deer urine based scents. Hopefully the Pa Game Commission steps it up to get it totally banned. Cwd has been shown to stay in the prions of deer urine for many years in the dirt where the deer urinated. Theres been a much higher incidence of cwd in captive herds where the urine for scents is collected. Hunters themselves may be actually spreading cwd.

Now that we know its spreading east are the guys in jersey pressing the NJDEP for a total ban on deer urine scents yet?

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

Interesting, I never even knew CWD was passed through urine, especially for that length of time.  Years?  Wow!

I have heard that baiting tends to increase the spread of CWD due to the increased interaction/contact between deer.

I'm not adverse to either being banned, honestly I'd prefer baiting were.  Scents I rarely use, so I'm OK with that as well.  I'd imagine if they banned scents, it would only be urine based ones and more "chemically" based ones would rise in popularity.

The interaction that spreads the cwd is found through deer urinating in close proximity to each other in penned conditions and also in wild conditions. Scrapes etc... The is no known "cure for cwd.. The only treatment found to be effective is to actually burn the soil at something like 2000 degrees for a period of time to kill the prions.

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

Yeah I just looked on the NJ site here: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/cwd_surveys.pdf

Latest surveys just show the 2011-2012 hunting season, not sure about the 2012-2013 hunting seasons yet.

The first survey for CWD in New Jersey was conducted during the 1997-98 hunting 
season, and sampling has been conducted annually since 2002. During the 2011-12 
hunting season 362 wild deer were tested, which brings the total number of wild deer 
tested since 1997 to 4,753. Figure 1 shows the Deer Management Units (DMUs) that 
were sampled in 2011-12 and Figure 2 shows all of the DMUs that have been sampled 
since 1997. In addition to the wild deer, 129 captive deer, 6 captive elk and 3 captive 
reindeer have been tested. All samples to date have been negative for CWD.

Baiting should be banned now!   Why risk it? I believe the division has an emergency plan but it does not include the ban of baiting.... It will not take long for cwd to get a foothold here in NJ..

>>>>--------------------->>

Harmony Twp Warren County I know had some cases

I agree JJoe, with all the baiting being done in this state, CWD can be spread easily and rapid

Edited by BHC

I agree with both of you guys!!    baiting as well as urine based scents need to be banned asap!   Hunters are going to want to continue to use them for their own selfish reasons but this is bigger than us as hunters. Cwd can and will devastate the herd once it takes a foothold.

Good god.  The new PA CWD area is where I am originally from in PA. 

I agree with everyone above.  We as sportsmen need to do our part to stop this crap.  No more bait to congregate deer and no urine or body fluid scents.  Also...dispose of bones and carcasses properly - IN THE TRASH!  Don't dump them to make coyote and fox feeding piles.  This stuff stays in the ground for decades. 

banner1_zpsc4bb088a.png smallfb_zpsffb5c351.gif

Harmony Twp Warren County I know had some cases

I agree JJoe, with all the baiting being done in this state, CWD can be spread easily and rapid

That was EHD not CWD..Watch the video to know the difference

http://bonesnbroadheads.com/2013/03/11/ehd-vs-cwd/

Good god.  The new PA CWD area is where I am originally from in PA. 

I agree with everyone above.  We as sportsmen need to do our part to stop this crap.  No more bait to congregate deer and no urine or body fluid scents.  Also...dispose of bones and carcasses properly - IN THE TRASH!  Don't dump them to make coyote and fox feeding piles.  This stuff stays in the ground for decades. 

You're wasting your time.. People will just do what is easiest for them.