IGNORED

Sussex county residents- vote question

There is a lot of land in Warren County where the only thing happening is twiddle dee and twiddle dum flying through the trees. Most of it marked Green Acres- NO HUNTING. Never see a vehicle parked along the roads...ever. Most of these public questions are worded to make it look like gold. You really do have to see who is asking the question and their reason why.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't stewardship mean someone living there to maintain the land?  That means that they can preserve their own farms or friend's farm and then collect tax dollars to live there and maintain the land for themselves.  It would work if the preserved land had to stay open to the general public but I don't believe that will happen.

This funding is not just for conservation organizations managing green acres properties. this certainly will open up more local public funds to be used by private landowners...to what end? It's not spelled out here. And the language is kind of ambiguous as to what the potential uses could be..we see "stewardship projects" but what does "development and maintenance" mean? The biggest issue I have always had with taxpayer money being used to fund stewardship projects on private property is that there is a ridiculous amount of public property where that money could be better put to use for the benefit of all...and not just those with acces to private....I understand the need for public funds to be available to private citizens for habitat improvement as the majority of the land and waters our wildlife lives on is private....but it still bothers me a little bit. And again, when talking about land managed by conservation organizations, these lands aren't fully open to hunters and anglers. It might as well be private property. We have limited access to those properties with those rules being set by each particular conservation organization. I'd just love to see more stewardship projects happening on our public lands and waterways that we as outdoorsman have real access to.

[quote name="Bucksnbows" post="195280" timestamp="1509465233What good is preservation if the land is full of foreign, invasive plants?

No offense Brian...but that's kind of ridiculous. Preservation of land with poor habitat is better than development and zero habitat. You'll find vast more quantities of wildlife living in a 5acre field choked with autumn olive than you would on a 5 acre lawn. And what if there is a major water source there? What if you had a spawning trib running through a property full of invasives? Should we just ignore that property? Lol

With all that being said, would I still vote for this? I probably would if I had a better idea of what they had in mind.

Edited by MS22

Are you saying that these organizations don't make rules that limit certain access and usage of the properties they manage?...much of which was acquired through public funding. Because I would certainly have to disagree with that. I believe the state/public entity supplies the funding with certain conditions but outside of that, these organizations control the property under their rules.

I ran into this exact problem in PA.  There is a "conservation organization", some such land trust group that says it wants to buy land to preserve the headwaters of wild trout streams that run through the land.  So I wanted to go and fish one of these streams and saw a sign that said C&R only.  When I checked the webpage there was no mention of it being C&R.   I have a friend who has a son who is a CO and he patrols that area so I called him.  He said emphatically that the org that owns the land can make their own rules regarding fishing and if they want to prohibit public hunting they can do that as well but are governed by PA game laws if hunting is allowed. 

He said it doesn't matter if it's "public trust", if it's not owned by the state then they can control access and fishing rules as opposed to state game lands which are open to licensed hunters and fishermen.   

A lot of people are aware of this now and have changed their minds and decided not to sell the land to the trust because they refused to change the charter to allow hunters access during any open season. 

Same thing in every NJ counties on the Ballet but at least in Monmouth Counties Ballot the put the Price tag on it and this year they want to double your contribution to almost 3 cents for every $100 evaluation. Everyone wants their hand in our pockets Murphy will put his hand and feet if elected.     My vote IS NO on every Question Live with in your means 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif