IGNORED

Shells/Choke Question

not on the rug

Hey guys,

I grew up doing some pheasant hunting with my dad and some of his friends, but we all know how life goes and I haven't been out in over 20 years.  I have the opportunity to get out this year and literally have no idea where to begin.  If this opportunity remains consistent, I'll probably purchase a nice upland gun for the future.  For now, I 'm stuck using what I have. 

I'll be slinging a Mossberg 500 for the time being.  What shells would you guys recommend?  What choke?  

I feel ridiculous asking these questions, but pheasant hunting is so far out of my wheelhouse these days, I literally have no idea.  

Thanks for the help

Nothing to feel ridiculous about and be prepared for many different and sometimes what might seem like conflicting answers as guys use all gauges and chokes for pheasant.

What gauge is the Mossberg (I'm assuming 12) and will you be hunting over a pointing dog where shots will closer and you have time to set up for the shot or over a flushing dog where shots will be farther away and you need to react quicker ?

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Depending on whether you are hunting over a dog or not could change your choke and shot preference but in general...

High Brass # 6 shot if you are shooting out of a 12 gauge, modified choke....2 3/4" Shells.

If over a dog with closer shots generally, you can get away with an improved cylinder and lighter/smaller shot like 7 1/2s or 8's.

Edited by buckfever1974

Nothing to feel ridiculous about and be prepared for many different and sometimes what might seem like conflicting answers as guys use all gauges and chokes for pheasant.

What gauge is the Mossberg (I'm assuming 12) and will you be hunting over a pointing dog where shots will closer and you have time to set up for the shot or over a flushing dog where shots will be farther away and you need to react quicker ?

The mossberg is a 12.  

Not sure of the dogs yet.  There is a small group of guys hunting and there are a couple of dogs.  I know that one is a flushing dog for sure, he is a springer spaniel  

The mossberg is a 12.  

Not sure of the dogs yet.  There is a small group of guys hunting and there are a couple of dogs.  I know that one is a flushing dog for sure, he is a springer spaniel  

If you are dealing with flushing dogs that you haven't hunted over yet, high brass 6's are the way to go IMO

If you are dealing with flushing dogs that you haven't hunted over yet, high brass 6's are the way to go IMO

I agree.

There have been times that I hit Black River on my way home from work with no dog, and I put a lighter load in the chamber with high brass 6's in the magazine.

Have fun.

Over a pointer, when I had one, I toted a 12ga with low brass 7.5, seems light, but with an imp cyl choke it folded up pheasant like a cheap suit, and didn't tear them up, for a flusher 6 shot is a good choice for birds at a further distance as for chokes, stick with the improved cylinder, that should be good to about 20 yards or so.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I have little to add other than I use skeet 1 and modified in my over under 20 gauge for pheasants and either 7 1/2 shot or 6 shot, high brass 2 3/4" shells.  That is for over my pointing dog with the modified barrel being for the follow up shot or an early flush before I get in position.  Most shots over a good dog are very close, so a wide open choke is all you need for that first shot.  When I hunted Iowa for wild birds without a dog, I used skeet 1 and full choke for my follow up and only high brass 4s or 6s.  But the Rockport Rockets are not nearly like wild birds. 

......  When I hunted Iowa for wild birds without a dog, I used skeet 1 and full choke for my follow up and only high brass 4s or 6s.  .....

I did the same in Pennsylvania in the real winter months and much cover is gone, when I carried a double. IC in the open barrel, though.