IGNORED

Pre Rut

Stugots

As some of you guys may remember from last year, I work on Fort Monmouth Army Base which has a serious deer population.These deer move around the fort freely without much pressure. Last year before the fort opened the roadway to cars there was no pressure at all and after observing them, i did not feel like they acted like true "wild" deer. You were able to see giant bucks all day everyday. Now that the road is opened to cars with a bit more pressure, the deer act more like "wild" deer. Starting with the bachelor groups in the summer to becoming more nocutrnal over the past couple weeks. With this cold weather today, I figured I'd watch their behavior this afternoon. I just saw about 6 bucks scattered around the property all around 2.5 - 3.5 year olds. I just watch a 6pt make a large scrape under a licking branch. The pre rut is here and we should start hunting any chance we get. In my opinion, hunt the cold snaps this next week and a half then last week of October till thanksgiving hunt every minute you can. Good luck guys and be safe!

a few years ago I watched an 8pt legitimately breed a doe on 10/15...  I see scrapes starting in late august most years, around time velvet comes off. I generally see sparring start by end of September, sometimes a little earlier.  All could be considered "pre-rut" activity. Already the young bucks are getting frisky and doing some chasing...  However, I always feel 10/20 is a significant date in the "pre-rut" stage as this is around the time the older bucks start showing themselves in daylight.  (unless you were lucky enough to get them in a late summer/early fall feeding pattern on agriculture or acorns)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

that period between say 10/6 and 10/19 always seems to be the toughest for me..... Then it always seems to change around 10/20...

This is the time when the older mature dies are the first to start coming into their cycle. You can bet there are always around 10/19 to 10/23 some good bucks will be shot. Edited by Buck154