IGNORED

My worst and best day of hunting....ever

Hunter4623

Well....

Made it back out again. Went to a different spot where I've had success before. Climbed into my stand for the evening hunt. Around 430 I thought I heard the telltale snapping of deer breaking sticks. 1/2 hour later, a doe comes blasting past me. The only reason a doe is running that fast is because a buck is dogging her. I'm up and ready. Similar setup as my other stand. It's a funnel between 2 large pieces of hardwoods with thick undergrowth and a meadow on the other side. I killed my biggest buck with a bow in this funnel in 2003. Different spot about 30 yards away. 40 yards away I spy antler sneaking thru the trees. He's on his way to me and I'm going to get a chance. He's moving pretty quick but he stops in my opening about 7 yards from the base of my tree. I draw, make sure I'm bending at the waist, pick a hair, release my arrow.....and it sails harmlessly over his back lol. He jumps a couple times and he's under the tree I'm in but on the opposite side. He heard the arrow but didn't see or hear me release. He's in the thick stuff and hangs out for a few minutes and eventually wanders off. I shake my head in disbelief. Self doubt creeps in. That's 4 missed deer in a few days. I've missed more deer in these few days than I have in my entire hunting career inclusive of every weapon I've hunted with....rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, compound bow. It's a humbling experience. I felt like I did everything right but somehow I'm messing up. As I sit there for the next 45 mins and try to diagnose what I'm doing wrong.....I hear a snap coming thru the woods. It's another buck. He's small but legal. The first buck was an 8 point mainframe and I believe he had a 4" drop tine. I set a trail camera before I got in my stand so hopefully I got a video of him (and my miss lol). Back to the little guy. He follows the same trail in but he's walking. He stops in my shooting lane. Here's my chance. Draw back. Bend at the waste. Pick a hair.....and sail ANOTHER arrow harmlessly over his back lol. He wastes no time in running away. At this point, I'm dumbfounded and angry with myself. My options were

A. Unhook my safety line and do a header out of my stand

B. Scream

C. Throw my bow in disgust, climb down and go home to lick my wounds.

A. sounded great at that time but would've been a bad choice.

B. Would've been ok except I saw 2 bucks and a doe on my first night in this spot and the best part of the season is beginning.

C. C. Seemed to be the most logical way of e pressing my frustration....aggravation....disbelief.....anger....and eventually acceptance.

C was my choice and writing this is somewhat cathartic. I'm clearly having some issues and need more practice. I have elbow tendinitis so I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I'd like. I decided to put my longbow down for now. I'll do some practicing with my compound (which hasn't been in the woods hunting in 4-5 years (That's the last time I've been archery hunting) I'm enjoying being back in the woods at this time of year but I don't want to ruin that by wounding an animal. I'll take my compound and maybe get lucky with that at some point. I'll post a pic if my camera got those deer.

I did the same thing with my recurve for 15 years. Shot over the back of countless deer over the years.. and the few i got in accidently spine shot.

But I shoot at targets no problem.

I video my shots this year to find out the deer are ducking . Compensate

You know you shoot a foot high or so, aim that much lower and you will connect.

Don't shoot at alert deer. These bows are not fast enough. At 25 yards they can duck 12" before the arrow gets to them .

Here's 3 of my 4 opening morning misses in a video titled "i suck"

https://youtu.be/DgYNHDU969k

www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

B. Scream

C. C. Seemed to be the most logical way of e pressing my frustration....aggravation....disbelief.....anger....and eventually acceptance.

C was my choice and writing this is somewhat cathartic. I'm clearly having some issues and need more practice. 

:devil:  :devil: Advocate

:headscratch: Nice story but it seems you have ISSUES as YOU SAID.

You say you did a header out of your stand  :hmmmer:  Then say you climbed down  :headscratch:

The Worst part is you threw your Bow Down in disgust  :down:

You said it all seemed logical to you. :down:

What you need is not more practice but respect for your Firearms. after throwing it do you expect it to be accurate.

Hunting is supposed to be a relaxing sport it is hunting not killing.The harvest is the reward.

If you feel I am  :poke:   I am not just hoping you get it all togeather, before your next Hunt.  Good luck, stay calm. and do some practice :cheers:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Well....

Made it back out again. Went to a different spot where I've had success before. Climbed into my stand for the evening hunt. Around 430 I thought I heard the telltale snapping of deer breaking sticks. 1/2 hour later, a doe comes blasting past me. The only reason a doe is running that fast is because a buck is dogging her. I'm up and ready. Similar setup as my other stand. It's a funnel between 2 large pieces of hardwoods with thick undergrowth and a meadow on the other side. I killed my biggest buck with a bow in this funnel in 2003. Different spot about 30 yards away. 40 yards away I spy antler sneaking thru the trees. He's on his way to me and I'm going to get a chance. He's moving pretty quick but he stops in my opening about 7 yards from the base of my tree. I draw, make sure I'm bending at the waist, pick a hair, release my arrow.....and it sails harmlessly over his back lol. He jumps a couple times and he's under the tree I'm in but on the opposite side. He heard the arrow but didn't see or hear me release. He's in the thick stuff and hangs out for a few minutes and eventually wanders off. I shake my head in disbelief. Self doubt creeps in. That's 4 missed deer in a few days. I've missed more deer in these few days than I have in my entire hunting career inclusive of every weapon I've hunted with....rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, pistol, compound bow. It's a humbling experience. I felt like I did everything right but somehow I'm messing up. As I sit there for the next 45 mins and try to diagnose what I'm doing wrong.....I hear a snap coming thru the woods. It's another buck. He's small but legal. The first buck was an 8 point mainframe and I believe he had a 4" drop tine. I set a trail camera before I got in my stand so hopefully I got a video of him (and my miss lol). Back to the little guy. He follows the same trail in but he's walking. He stops in my shooting lane. Here's my chance. Draw back. Bend at the waste. Pick a hair.....and sail ANOTHER arrow harmlessly over his back lol. He wastes no time in running away. At this point, I'm dumbfounded and angry with myself. My options were

B. Scream

A. sounded great at that time but would've been a bad choice.

B. Would've been ok except I saw 2 bucks and a doe on my first night in this spot and the best part of the season is beginning.

C was my choice and writing this is somewhat cathartic. I'm clearly having some issues and need more practice. I have elbow tendinitis so I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I'd like. I decided to put my longbow down for now. I'll do some practicing with my compound (which hasn't been in the woods hunting in 4-5 years (That's the last time I've been archery hunting) I'm enjoying being back in the woods at this time of year but I don't want to ruin that by wounding an animal. I'll take my compound and maybe get lucky with that at some point. I'll post a pic if my camera got those deer.

My thought are similar to Jay's.  You're used to the speed of your compound and they're ducking the arrow.

1975buck. Reread my post. You missed a couple things. It's all good. I've been working towards making the transition to traditional archery but clearly I'm not ready yet. I'll keep practicing and try again in the future

The parts that concerned me was what I posted the worst throwing your Bow.  It will come to you as a learning curve be patient laugh at your mistakes you will have a lifetime of them. I threw my Bow also after wounding a Doe but gave up since The equipment and Funds did no make it viable for me in the 60s hang in there enjoy the Hunt. Like I said the harvest is the Reward awaiting you. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif