IGNORED

bear harvest numbers are low

mazzgolf

I just had one come down my driveway 2 weeks ago. My clubs property is littered with them. Mainly due to nobody but me hunting them

Guys I know don’t hunt bear any more because of the effort dragging it out of woods and the cost of butchering and taxidermy...

The bear group would love that. I can here them already.

The dishonest bear groups already spread the lie that NJ bear hunt allows to run them with dogs - even though it is explicitly mentioned as illegal in the Digest (see page 52 of the 2017 digest for those reading this and don't believe me).

One thing I've learned listening to them and seeing their website, they lie consistently - from the fact "no one in the written history of New Jersey has ever been killed or seriously injured by a black bear" (yes, their website STILL claims this) to the fact that NJ allows bear hunters to run dogs when it is clearly illegal and advertised as such in the NJ hunting digest published for all to see.. They have to lie to make their position more palatable and try to get the non-hunters on their side, because the truth hurts their position.

Heres my take on the low numbers.Definitely lots of natural food competing with the baits this year. Also, Lots of hunters have successfully hunted bears the last few years. Lots of them now have a rug or mount and are happy with that. For whatever reason hunting bears is one of the hunts that guys are like, glad I did it but have no desire to do it again. It turns out to be extremely time consuming and costly as well for alot of folks. And if thats not enough, you have the drag at the end of it.,lol. Also, I personally know a few guys who hate the no stand within 100 yds rule and that alone was enough for them to not hunt after the one season. They just didnt find it enjoyable on the ground and the rule rubs a couple of my friends the wrong way so much that they wont hunt unless its changed. Im sure if you compound these reasons , the answer lies in there somewhere.