• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

How many of you guys use your dogs to guide hunts.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Tika270

Tika270

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:15 PM

Just wanted to see how many guys guide
With there dogs. I have done it at a couple of places
And for some groups of guys. I like it I really enjoy the dog
Work more not worried about shooting , plus getting Paid
Tops it off.
D-D... Nothing like a warm barrel.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

#2 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 03:55 PM

I did for a few seasons. Got to hunt some of the best property in NJ and make some money as well. The downside was that in certain situations, especially with very senior hunters, the club would plant all the birds very close together so the hunter wouldn't have to walk too much. But what happened was, as the dog was making a retrieve, she would inadvertently bump birds because they were all bunched in a tight area. This was not good for the hunter, although it was due to his condition, nor for the dogs training discipline.
So, while it was great, it can have a downside.

#3 Male OFFLINE   Beaverkill

Beaverkill

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:22 PM

The big downside that I see is your Liability as a guide.. When you take money from people for a service, you open up Liability for your actions and the actions of your clients and your dog. We live in a very litigious state and you need to protect yourself and your assets... For my fly fishing trips, I have a $2m insurance policy that covers the Fly Shop and myself...I also have the clients sign a waiver (but any good lawyer will get right by any waiver)...I do this part-time and dont make alot of money so there can be significant expense for guiding.. NJ doesnt have a registered guide program like other states... I am licensed in New York, which means I had to pass a state test and be certified in First Aid, CPR and Water Safety... In NY it is against the law to "guide" hunters or fishermen for a fee without a License... PA has the same requirements except you need to show proof of insurance...
The upside..I spend time on the water, teaching people how to fly fish, and making many friends along the way...

Daniel Ansbach

#4 OFFLINE   Blackthorn

Blackthorn

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:29 PM

I use my dogs to guide. I set the law down before we go out and the first unsafe thing that occurs the hunt is over. I have yet to end a hunt and at no time felt like myself or my dogs were in danger. Plenty of upsides. My 2 year old has probably seen more birds than most dogs will get to point in a lifetime. It is nice to get paid to put your dogs on birds!

#5 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:37 PM

You're right Beaverkill, that's why I wouldn't take hunters on public land. I only went to their private property or private clubs and preserves that needed extra dog handlers. The oneness is then on the established club or preserve.

It's very different than taking a paying client out into some wilderness area to hunt and they are then your responsibility. So I guess it's really not "guiding" per say, it's more of just being a dog handler for a fee. Remember, they have the gun, I was just working the dog and carrying birds!

#6 OFFLINE   Bruinupacup

Bruinupacup

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:45 PM

I do some guiding with my dog and really enjoy it! I have never had any problems but like Blackthorn has said I lay down the law before we ever leave the parking lot. One day when I get rich I would love to do it full time. I enjoy working the dog more than shooting any day.

#7 Male OFFLINE   Red

Red

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:51 PM

I would if the opportunity arises.

#8 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 05:09 PM

Red, put your availability out there to any clubs or preserves that you are close to. I put a small ad in the digest a number of years back and got a good number of calls.

#9 Male OFFLINE   Red

Red

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 05:13 PM

Red, put your availability out there to any clubs or preserves that you are close to. I put a small ad in the digest a number of years back and got a good number of calls.

Thanks good advice...:thumb_up:

#10 OFFLINE   Jswany04

Jswany04

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 09:13 PM

I have an amazingly good German short-haired that I would love to guide with. My question is how does one get into it?

#11 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 09:24 PM

See post above yours JSW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users