IGNORED

NJ Road Killed deer Stats.

Sorry hit the Doubl Quote Button  :hmmmer:

Not    :hijack: from " hiking's " post about how to handle Road kills' But found this interesting as reported by Bill Gallo from Nj.Com Posted May 01, 2017 on The 13 Counties with the worst dead deer Problems  He foes on how there was a time in Nj and the northeastern Us. When the White-tailed deer were a Rarity. And how just over a Century ago The State Game commission sent deer for release in our woods. deer sightings were newsworthy. As today deer are everywhere form the most rural to residential and even urban areas.

Not many today realize NJ at one time had an endangered deer population and were imported from NY, & PA.  along with Much more from Virginia hence the term NJ Virgina Whitetalled deer. 

That led to a Healthy Heard at the Time with now so much inbreeding leaves many questions asked over the years to introduce deer from other states. But $$$$$$ and overpopulation keeps that from happening. 

It may come as a surprise but Monmouth County Leads all others with  999 road-killed deer reported in 2016 were picked up on State Roads. Leaving out County-Township- GSP-NJTP where most are no longer picked up due to Budgets. Like the one in " hiking's " post left to the Vultures.

That said The NJ Department of Transportation reported just in 2016 that 6,525 were collected just in their jurisdiction alone. That combined with The Hunting the Seasons combined where 41,439 were harvested  Add in the unknown numbers not reported & Poached that is a lot of Deer for an Overpopulated Urban Suburbanite State Called The Garden State. 

Who have the Numbers for Total deer population in Nj. :think:    Let alone the bear Statistics. for The ZERO of the Past To Today Estimated numbers.   I already have begun seeing road kills in My area of Monmouth County and Ocean County 11 on my way The Jackson Range Saturday most new. 

The Saying Goes in Nj road Killed Buck Deer the antlers are taken Does are left to Rot.--In PA- NY most other states The Hind Quarters and Loins if not the whole deer are taken not left to waste.

I have been known to Harvest a few Road Kills in my time.  :cheers:   I have the other County numbers if any interests.               And still, some say where are all the deer my zone I see Few  :crying:

Photos Coming to a Location Near you Franchises Available

29488-royalty-free-cartoon-clip-art-of-a-happy-red-haired-woman-in-an-apron-her-hair-up-in-a-scarf-singing-and-dancing-with-a-spoon-on-a-red-and-black-vintage-sign-for-moms-roadkill-diner-by-andy-nortnik.jpg

3231ea7a-7c89-4060-b963-1990144e3aef.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

We all know that basically 100% of New Jersey's forests were entirely cut down by the turn of the last century.  No habitat = no deer.  Or bear or most anything else, for that matter.  But the reason NJ has so many deer today is because deer are creatures of edge habitat which is somewhat minimal in nature but which man is great at producing.  All those lawns, shrubs, woodlots, fields, and dense housing/businesses where hunting is difficult if not impossible and you have the perfect storm.  It's happening wherever whitetails live in close proximity to man and not just here in NJ.  They, much like racoons, are highly adaptive to man's disturbances and have flourished well above "normal levels" because of man's disturbances to the natural environment.      

We all know that basically 100% of New Jersey's forests were entirely cut down by the turn of the last century.  No habitat = no deer.  .      

100% not even close to the History of Deer in Nj  Who Is WE All  ;) being almost driven to extinction where they had to be Reintroduced from other States Yes deforestation was one part but for the most part Uncontrolled Harvesting with very little laws protecting them No limits Day or Night hunting The artical is from Rutgers The Photo is Of The first Conservation officers. 

NJ Forests are old growth were farming was not practiced Only South Jersey has a history of Forest Fires to this day. 

Bears migrated to NJ across the Delaware on and off. when in the mid-50s Nj had if you encountered a Black Bear during deer season it was Legal to Harvest it.  only 2 were taken that year.  As the deer population grew so did the bears.  

Have to Edit My Father and Grand Father lived during these times and handed down may stories of Hunting in Nj dating back to late 1800 thru the 1900s  Not to leave out Great Grand Father who also was a Farmer and Hunter in VA. 

Derr Post.jpg

warden.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

We all know that basically 100% of New Jersey's forests were entirely cut down by the turn of the last century.  No habitat = no deer.  Or bear or most anything else, for that matter.  But the reason NJ has so many deer today is because deer are creatures of edge habitat which is somewhat minimal in nature but which man is great at producing.  All those lawns, shrubs, woodlots, fields, and dense housing/businesses where hunting is difficult if not impossible and you have the perfect storm.  It's happening wherever whitetails live in close proximity to man and not just here in NJ.  They, much like racoons, are highly adaptive to man's disturbances and have flourished well above "normal levels" because of man's disturbances to the natural environment.      

Does that logic apply to all whitetails in all habitats?