IGNORED

For those that do their own butchering

vdep217

Just finished the grinding from my 6 point. I do different things with each deer. This one I did steaks and cutlets with ground burger. My next one I may do stew meet n less burger. Do you always do your deer the same way or switch it up

I 'm going to to try ageing in the fridge a little more this year. Other than that, I'm going to stick with packaging large pieces.

Then it'll be trying some new sausage recipes.

my ex wife made one of them deer roast in some pickled brine she had it I. The fridge for like 13 days wasn't bad tasted like corn beef

It all depends on what I have left from the previous season. Right now I'm almost out of breakfast sausage, so, first animal gets ground into breakfast sausage, (usually mix my own spices but tried Hi Country last year, and it was awesome). Then the next will be burger. and the one after that Italian sausage. Instead of using pork or beef fat I've been using deer fat or bear fat and it's been amazingly good. All the loins get cut into 5 inch sections and vacuum sealed. Sometimes I do like Nomad and take some meat to Alpine or Nellos for hot dogs or hot sticks.

without me, my rifle is nothing

I mix it up and try to learn new ways and recipes each year. Sometimes I make a lot of jerky. Sometimes I "can" a bunch. Sometimes I leave a shoulder whole for braising. Going to do more stuff for the crock pot this year. Much like canning, it can turn shoe leather into tender juicy deliciousness. 

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear