IGNORED

Z5 morning hunt in the Hemlocks & Oaks = BBD

JHbowhunter

At a private spot 2 miles from home I used to hunt a lot but this area has not held deer for several years. I am 1/2 a mile from Jay's house. I am set up in a huge hemlock tree with good cover. Steep hemlock and oak ridge but I am on a plateau halfway up. Lots of Chestnut Oak acorns and still dropping I can hear them. Jay and I took a walk up here a few weeks back to see if we could find any white oaks dropping and the only few trees we found dropping were 40 yards from this stand. All the bigger more mature whites were barren. Not a single red oak is producing here either. We saw a real nice fresh rub and fresh deer sign. I been itching to get up here and sit but the heat wave set in. It was 44 degrees when I pulled in. After the uphill climb I arrived to the stand at 5:45 am only to find deer already there. Dammit. Hope they and others come back. Gonna sit till about 8-8:30. This cool air feels GREAT.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Ha I texted my girl "I got coyotes alll around me in the dark - hate those sneaky bastards". She replies with "sneaky bastards - said the man hiding in a hemlock tree wearing camo" LOL

I shot a big 10pt once….

My current view looking dead East - my 12. That's where the yotes came from. They ran one helluva deer drive. At least half the 52 acres was covered if not all. Note the double white oak. Real healthy tree but barren several smaller ones 40 yards south of me and I can hear them drop a few. I have seen deer after seeing bear. I have seen deer after seeing one coyote. I have never seen deer after a pack of coyotes runs through all spread out in formation. Hope today will be the exception.

IMG_6019.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

Followed by an acorn sucking 4 point that followed my trail to the tree. Now they both within 7 yards. I am so well hidden. Love it. This is how I spent most of my bowhunting life. No cameras no bait. I have no clue if there is a shooter buck around here worth hunting. I haven't killed a good buck off this piece since 2009.

IMG_6021.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….