• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

State to stock 10K fewer birds!

54 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   Mixbaghunter

Mixbaghunter

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 01:34 PM

I hunt black River for years and last year was to he worsted year ever . I have never seen so few birds then last year . Like said above this is going to hurt stamp sales. If they do not change something . I just pick up a lab puppy last year so I will hunt this year if it not better. He will become a house dog and I will trap instead .

#22 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 01:40 PM

The truth is that reallocation was fair, but they should have eased into it and not done it so drastically. They will lose stamp sales up north for certain and my guess is they won't make up those losses with more birds in pork roll territory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#23 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 02:26 PM

What they should have done was raise more birds if they wanted to put some down that way, we get ZERO quail up here so now you're getting less for the 40 bucks, which by the way is more than the firearms license. Like I said, they did a better job 15 years ago with way more birds than now, and the stamp was half as much. Lol
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#24 Male OFFLINE   njdeerhunter54

njdeerhunter54

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 03:33 PM

There was a problem at the Rockport farm this year. High mortality rate of pheasant chicks from two vendors. This is written in the latest Federation of Sportsmens Clubs newsletter !

#25 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 03:40 PM

Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread inspired me to create an account and chime in.

I'd like to just share my feelings on the stocking program. Last year I did notice what seemed like a significant drop off in the quality of the pheasant season. I know the reduction is directly tied to the allocation program, but I felt as thought they way the handled the stocking with the reduced number of birds was VERY poorly handled. My favorite pheasant hunting area, near Roy tract bridge in Flatbrook WMA went from an enjoyable area to hunt in 2015, to a dead, quite, bird less area in 2016.  

This area when stocked at the old allocation numbers had lots of birds in the thick stuff that were around all week. I'm a young guy who has no problem trudging into the thickest of the thick to find birds and last year they were simply not there. Some Saturdays by 9AM you would not hear a shot all day. It was almost Erie. The sediment was shared by most of the hunters I passed by in that area.

Back to my point of on how I feel the stocking of the reduced number of birds was poorly handed... I feel they took the reduced numbers of birds, and just dump the majority "killing fields" up front, where the orange army lines up shoulder to shoulder, and the back fields and off the beaten path areas took the brunt of the reduction. I thought the point of the reallocation was to spread hunters out.. safety.. make it a more enjoyable experience.

If my feelings are correct, and they are taking the reduced number of birds per WMA and just dumping them all into the "killing fields" and the smaller and off the beaten path areas which used to receive birds are taking the brunt of the reduction.. well then this whole plan seems to be handled completely incorrectly... spread the birds out within the WMA. Stop feeding the hundred guys who was to take a 5 minute walk to the end of a field every morning and go home.. stock the birds for guys who want to actually upland bird hunt.

My 2 cents.. wonder if its shared. If not.. no hard feelings! I'm excited for the season and will be out there regaurdless

:happywave:  :welcome:  :welcome:  :clapping:  :cheers:  :cheers:

• Agree x 1
  • List

#26 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 04:03 PM

There was a problem at the Rockport farm this year. High mortality rate of pheasant chicks from two vendors. This is written in the latest Federation of Sportsmens Clubs newsletter !

wait, they used to breed thier own, when the hell did they start buying chicks?!
  • Like x 1
  • List
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#27 Male OFFLINE   JimmyScags

JimmyScags

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 04:28 PM

Well that sucks! First year with a dog and I wanted to try it.
I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

#28 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 06:40 PM

No worries Jim, take hi to Hunts!
  • Like x 1
  • List

#29 Male OFFLINE   LPJR

LPJR

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the site Uplandhunter 75  :up:

Last season my son and I did very well along the Delaware River and in Walpack thanks to the allocation program. Fewer guys, lots of birds, much safer and most were shot without a dog. The cost of the stamp is well worth it in my eyes. The birds were gorgeous and we many times limited out before school started... I was able to get him there before his 1st class which was cool...

Attached Images

• thumbnail_Resized_32430.jpg

Edited by LPJR, 09/28/17 - 08:35 PM.

• Like x 4
  • List

#30 Male OFFLINE   DonT

DonT

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 10:10 AM

Nice first post Upland 75, your spot on.  I saw a Huge reduction in birds in the north, some areas are un-huntable.  I got calls from other hunters last season, asking about the lack of birds.  On big stocking days I hear 5/6 birds shot with 30/40 hunters, all over in a hour or less, lot of bitching going on.   I live 8 mins from Clinton WMA , in there about a dozen times, saw 1 bird, 50 % of the time I don't carry a gun in there.  I travel to hunt now, 1 to 1 1/2 hours just to find a safe area that has a few birds.  I don't think getting 30/40 shooters to line up with a couple of guys walking in early to shoot 6 birds is safe or enjoyable. 

NJ Stocking #'s   2015  55K total     North Total 29K   Clinton   4,630   Flatbrook   6,460    Black River   4,460  Birds   

2016                                                 Clinton   3,610   Flatbrook   4,240    Black River   3,330  Birds

2017  41K total     North Total 15K   Clinton   2,560   Flatbrook   2,650    Black River   2,200 Birds

I don't think they are releasing the numbers they say they are, I don't see that many birds.  On the positive side I do see some attempts at improving the field conditions.  Lots of Sorghum being planted, clustered not in rows, like it should be.  I just don't like the direction this is headed.  

Edited by DonT, 09/29/17 - 10:12 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   Greenspace

Greenspace

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 10:45 AM

I gave up on the NJ chicken hunt long ago.  Deer, ducks, turkeys, there's lots of better quality hunting options than the shootouts for pen birds, IMHO of course!.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#32 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 12:47 PM

I didn't know they bought chicks, either. What's the story with that?

bird.jpg

That photo should be on the cover of next year's digest, LPJR!

• Like x 1
  • List

#33 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 12:54 PM

Back about 15 year ago they used to breed their own birds, the quantity and quality was way better and the stamp was $20, now there are far fewer birds, chick loss rates are ridiculous, the quality of bids is less, the are removing birds and stocking them else where then the last few year they tried to sell off so call extra birds, the quality of the hunt is down, and to top it off the stamp is now $40!

So now, they get hosed on feed, and quail, but now on pheasant chicks, no wonder it sucks anymore.
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#34 Male OFFLINE   LPJR

LPJR

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 01:54 PM

Back about 15 year ago they used to breed their own birds, the quantity and quality was way better and the stamp was $20, now there are far fewer birds, chick loss rates are ridiculous, the quality of bids is less, the are removing birds and stocking them else where then the last few year they tried to sell off so call extra birds, the quality of the hunt is down, and to top it off the stamp is now $40!

So now, they get hosed on feed, and quail, but now on pheasant chicks, no wonder it sucks anymore.

Paul, with all due respect I am going to disagree. Not to start a state controversy, or a debate on W/W for that matter, but for guys with young families like me and numerous hunters on here with new dogs, and a daughter who just started in college this Fall, the state stocking program works. The birds were among the biggest I have seen last season, and they were spread out nicely. Lots of memories with family and friends were created on state grounds since I was a kid....Now the thousand of acres for that matter along the Delaware River above Flatbrook WMA's are being stocked........A private preserve is of course a dream hunt, but is money I choose to spend elsewhere on necessities, especially with the family. So to bash the state's stocking program constantly and to say it "sucks" non stop is not everyone's opinion. You have made your point, which is your opinion, and then some. How bout we all move on...Thanks in advance.......

Edited by LPJR, 09/29/17 - 02:12 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 03:12 PM

No worries, but you should've seen it back then, one year they put out just over 60k, this about three years before I got Attila so 2000 or so, after the morning shoot, about 10am birds where walking around everywhere! Then it went down from there, 56k,55k,50k,now 45k and the stamp went from $20 to $40 in that time, so what's going to happen in 2018? 35k birds? All I'm saying is this, it was way better as little as 15-16 years ago than it is today, even if I still had Attila and he was in his prime, I'd still not buy a stamp this season, not worth the money to me anymore, I only had Monday's to hunt, Attila and I did the same hunts from 2005-2015 with incredible success, in 2016, same hunts, same amount of days and only finding two, when in previous years it was and average of 6-10, big difference. Just doesn't make sence to me to keep reducing the numbers and reallocating them on top, so that none hold over anymore, that's what I'm hearing from other guys so it's not just me! Lol these are just my observations, and I put every Monday, and a ton of days after my jobs winter shutdown around thanks giving.

#36 Male OFFLINE   smoking gun

smoking gun

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 03:16 PM

Shred those birds

#37 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 04:33 PM

But, when did they start buying chicks? And, why? That building they did was for eggs.

Anyway ... I've still had success at Black River these past years. I'm able to go some weekday afternoons with the dog .... we have fun.

#38 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/29/17 - 05:32 PM

But, when did they start buying chicks? And, why? That building they did was for eggs.

Anyway ... I've still had success at Black River these past years. I'm able to go some weekday afternoons with the dog .... we have fun.

yeah I was wondering that myself? That's a lot of chicks to by and you gotta think the prices are high because the check say fish and game on it. I do know they used to breed them. I'm also curious as to when they stopped.

#39 Male OFFLINE   toze777

toze777

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10/12/17 - 07:05 AM

This going to be the first year hutninig back in NJ in the last 16 years moved away and moving  back ,   but im seeing that this is going to be a bad season with few birds i guess,    7

i have a question does the Nj Games wild live have there own breeding program or do they buy from local  breeders  ? 

#40 OFFLINE   Mallard1100

Mallard1100

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10/12/17 - 07:27 AM

A little off topic but I will say this until I'm blue in the face. The state needs to stop announcing the stocking days! That's the only way the experience and safety factor will improve. Stock the same amount of birds per week, but pick a random day and time out of the 7 days in a week and the first light firing squads will end.
  • Agree x 1
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users