• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

State to stock 10K fewer birds!

54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:39 AM

A few buddies of mine just called me to ask if I heard the rumor that the state will stick only 45K birds this year, one friend called me from the hatchery to tell me the pens look thin this year, not many birds at all, and he called me only a week ago, I've been looking on the states site but can only find stocking dates and locations, but not the total numbers, so if anyone can find out and post it here?

From 55K to 45K is a lot! My dog passed this year, and I was like as not going to hunt birds on state land anymore due to the dismal stocking season last year, I mean, are they trying to ruin it?
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#2 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:41 AM

The stocking information is on the fish and game site now

http://www.state.nj....smgame_info.htm

#3 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:43 AM

If you add up the total stocking numbers for the state 

its a total of 45,090 birds 

#4 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:45 AM

Ok, cool for some reason I could not find it, but it still looks like they are running 5k short, it's always been 55-56K and one year before I had Attila it was over 65k! Seems like they are putting fewer and fewer.
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#5 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:46 AM

Oops so the 50k they say is total bs then? They are running 10k short! Jeeze, I'm glad I didn't spend the money for the stamp!!

#6 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:50 AM

Well the past few years they always have those "extra" birds towards the end of the season so this just maybe that same thing 

#7 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:50 AM

Either they really messed up the northern NJ numbers for stocked birds 

#8 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 09:55 AM

Yeah, they did, taking birds away from a few places to send them to the Gap, or down the shore, instead of raising more birds, that facility is capable of putting out waaaay more birds than they do, and if they keep shorting birds every year, they will lose stamp sales, you put fewer birds at whittingham, few to none hold over when they get pasted at first light! Lol, you get frustrated stamp buyers that may not buy the next year! Lol
  • Like x 1
  • List

#9 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 10:03 AM

You are spot on with that 

#10 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 10:03 AM

and I was contemplating by my first stamp in over 25 years this year, since my Lab is a pheasant hunting machine now.... hmmmmm

#11 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 10:09 AM

No worth it Jack, you'd only get birds on the stocking days, and it's a mad house those days, that's why Attila and I almost always hunted non stocking days, and when they put out 55K birds over the season, plenty would hold over, The last three seasons before the BS reallocation Attila would have 6-10 points in a 3 hour hunt! In 2016 we did the same hunts as the year before, but this time only 2 points the ENTIRE season, and I killed one and missed the other, fewer birds stocked means fewer hold overs after the morning blast fest.
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 10:41 AM

Last year Bucksandbows hunted on Thanksgiving and it was so slow where we hunted 
only 1 point and we got that one bird. But the year before in one small area we had a bunch of birds 

• Agree x 1
  • List

#13 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 10:52 AM

Yep, last years thanksgiving stocking was dismal at best, the field I hunted, there was not a single bird, and it was lined up like I marching band and had to be six dogs besides mine, and not a single bird, dismal.

I had to brave the last two stocking days to get any birds at all!! And the way guys were fighting over shot or missed birds was ridiculous! Got my two quick and got the heck out of there!
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   Uplandhunter75

Uplandhunter75

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 11:12 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread inspired me to create an account and chime in.

I'd like to just share my feelings on the stocking program. Last year I did notice what seemed like a significant drop off in the quality of the pheasant season. I know the reduction is directly tied to the allocation program, but I felt as thought they way the handled the stocking with the reduced number of birds was VERY poorly handled. My favorite pheasant hunting area, near Roy tract bridge in Flatbrook WMA went from an enjoyable area to hunt in 2015, to a dead, quite, bird less area in 2016.  

This area when stocked at the old allocation numbers had lots of birds in the thick stuff that were around all week. I'm a young guy who has no problem trudging into the thickest of the thick to find birds and last year they were simply not there. Some Saturdays by 9AM you would not hear a shot all day. It was almost Erie. The sediment was shared by most of the hunters I passed by in that area.

Back to my point of on how I feel the stocking of the reduced number of birds was poorly handed... I feel they took the reduced numbers of birds, and just dump the majority "killing fields" up front, where the orange army lines up shoulder to shoulder, and the back fields and off the beaten path areas took the brunt of the reduction. I thought the point of the reallocation was to spread hunters out.. safety.. make it a more enjoyable experience.

If my feelings are correct, and they are taking the reduced number of birds per WMA and just dumping them all into the "killing fields" and the smaller and off the beaten path areas which used to receive birds are taking the brunt of the reduction.. well then this whole plan seems to be handled completely incorrectly... spread the birds out within the WMA. Stop feeding the hundred guys who was to take a 5 minute walk to the end of a field every morning and go home.. stock the birds for guys who want to actually upland bird hunt.

My 2 cents.. wonder if its shared. If not.. no hard feelings! I'm excited for the season and will be out there regaurdless

• Agree x 4
  • List

#15 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 11:56 AM

They took those birds and reallocated them, so the birds that where taken from places like Flattbrook, Black River and whittingham, have been sent to Be stocked south of 78, and in the Fedral land along the Delaware, wth the idea of spreading out hunting pressure, which did not happen, I hunted whittingham with my dog for years, mostly on Mondays, in an area that typically never gets stocked, but is smack dab in between two areas that are, and whatever birds are missed in the a.m. Slaughter, usually end up there, and in real good numbers, with the average 3 hour hunt yielding 6-10 points and flushes, even many of the stocked fields still held birds on Mondays, but 2016 told the tale, with those same fields being stocked with fewer birds, but the same amount of guys shooting, results in few to none making it out alive, my dog and I did the very same hunts we did with great success in past years, only to get 2 points in 4 hunts, I killed one rooster and missed the hen. So yeah big difference, this year my plan was just to guide at the preserve this year but Attila became ill and then passed away, but my plan was to pass on state land this year, just not worth hunting what isn't there to begin with.

Edited by GhostBear, 09/28/17 - 11:58 AM.

#16 Male OFFLINE   Uplandhunter75

Uplandhunter75

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 12:09 PM

Its a shame..

In reference to the increased number along the Delaware.. I made many attempts to try and find those birds. Never saw any notable increase in 2016 vs. 2015 and back. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion / input on the increased stocking numbers along the Delaware. Does anyone find birds there in any concentration? I wish the state provided more input as to where they are actually stocking the birds along the Delaware. I have laminated copies of all the stocked WMA's.. but both he north south and central areas are all rather expansive, and I have received first hand information that stocking occurs along areas in between those stretches which are technically "un stocked"  

My opinion is it is a less than ideal area to stock birds in. Habitat along the Delaware I feel is less than ideal as compared to the WMA's such as flatbrook (I'm only referencing flatbrook as it is the area I am most knowlegable and experienced in).I've hunted the land along the Delaware many time, and it seems like birds scatter there and don't hold in stocking areas as well. I mean I've personally seen pheasants literally fly across the Delaware when they bump early.. enjoy PA

• Agree x 2
  • List

#17 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 12:13 PM

Well, it's the way of it, my dog died two months ago, so I'm out of it now, he was gonna retire this season anyway, he was getting to old.

#18 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 12:21 PM

Paul, the Rockport pheasant farm does the same thing the Pequest hatchery does which is under promise on numbers and then over deliver. Some of that is protecting themselves if they do have a bad rearing year for birds or trout and some is marketing.

Welcome UplandHunter75. Last year's allocation changes were far more dramatic than I know I expected for those of us up north. And I absolutely noticed that all shots were taken right away in the killing fields and few shots heard by 8am on. But that is different than how many birds will be released this year and I haven't heard anything out of the norm yet in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like x 1
  • List

#19 Male OFFLINE   Uplandhunter75

Uplandhunter75

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the Welcome Bucksnbows.

I totally agree.. the changes up north due to the allocation program were much more dramatic and felt then I feel myself or anyone else would have expected. That being said, I wish the state would recognize that and at least speak to it. Release a statement of how the stocking will be handled going forward under the new allocation, at least address the fact the change was strongly felt but hunters in the region, give the states opinion as to whether or not they felt it was successful or not, will the be continuing on this path, are there planned deviations? Something.. anything... 

A lot of questions I think should be answered... and especially considering the fact that the program is primarily funded via a hunter paid stamp you think they would at least provide some transparency and information (unless they have and I'm complexly naïve to it)

#20 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 09/28/17 - 01:09 PM

Under promise? No, not even close, they've been under producing since the 2011 storm incident! Then a few yearsafter that they lose like 15K chicks because they got the brooder design wrong! Square instead of round I'm no biologist but even I know that!, they've been steadily stocking less and less, it was way better as little as 12 years ago compared with today, IMO it's laziness on their part nothing else, and it's going to cost them stamp sales if the keep shorting birds, it's the number one gripe I hear, "where the hell are the birds?!"lol, they have the land and resources to raise way more than they do, and if it's feed costs which to me is BS, then use a money order to pay for it instead of a check stamped Fish and Wildlife and they may get a better deal! They have like 10 acres of pens across the street that hasn't had birds in them for almost 15 years!, bottom line is they used to put out and raise way more birds 15 years ago then they do now, and every year they put fewer. That's just my observation only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users