IGNORED

Can farmers shoot deer an night?

dlist777

Sorry Pintail, couldn't "Disagree" more. You'd never get hunters to commit to shooting only (or enough) females to have an actual impact on the damage these farmers are experiencing.

That's why using recreational hunters for management programs isn't effective.

Sorry Pintail, couldn't "Disagree" more. You'd never get hunters to commit to shooting only (or enough) females to have an actual impact on the damage these farmers are experiencing.

That's why using recreational hunters for management programs isn't effective.

One of the reasons it is not effective because recreational hunter gets overwhelmed with the numbers of deer they would have to handle, very quickly.  

My complaint with the system is this state has every joker planting two dozen tomato plants and a half dozen christmas trees then claiming its a farm. They whine about crop damage then waste a pile of animals to prove a point. For what? This isn't a livelihood its a freekin tax shelter. I guess I wouldn't get as twisted up if the meat were going to a worthy cause.

There's paper work that would allow the use of the meat, but as I understand it it's pain to do, easier to just bury them.

That said, I agree about the small 8-10 acre "farms" are nothing but tax shelters, and to get farm status they need to only prove $1000 in sold "farm products" used to be 500, but still, these shouldn't be getting DP's at all.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I don't agree with the wasted meat either. All The programs I've been involved with have never dumped deer, they're either used or donated to the shelter programs.

I don't know the qualifications for obtaining a permit in other areas of the state, but I know the criteria has become more stringent in the last two years. So I'm not sure if it's as easy as you describe to get a dep permit.

My complaint with the system is this state has every joker planting two dozen tomato plants and a half dozen christmas trees then claiming its a farm. They whine about crop damage then waste a pile of animals to prove a point. For what? This isn't a livelihood its a freekin tax shelter. I guess I wouldn't get as twisted up if the meat were going to a worthy cause.

I understand your point but if you were on the other side I think you would change your mind very quickly. I hunt a working farm and its a deer magnet. Farming is hard work and it isn't cheap. Then you watch 50 deer in your soybean field every night eating your profits and destroying your hard work.

Yep, but his chief complaint I think is with the little hobby farmers that sell just enough to qualify for the farm tax exemption. Those farmers farming a few hundred acres is one thing, those farming 5 and caiming thier a farm for a tax break is another.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

You're taking about two separate isuues GB. Just because they may qualify for a tax exemption doesn't automatically qualify them for Dep permits. They still have to prove crop damage.

true, but that is easy enough to do as the standard is so low, though I don't think many hobby farms get DP's anyway. What I'm saying is it's just a scam for a tax shelter to say a 5 acre "farm" is the same as one spanning a few hundred acres.

This is all news to me.  Thanks for all the info.  I heard probably at least 50 shots; maybe 100...I just stopped counting.  If I was a farmer; I'd do it or have it done.  But just thinking of a giant pile of venison getting buried kind of bothers me.  I wish they could it make it easier to get the meat donated somehow.  

Back in the late 90s the farmer on our leases used to gut shoot on purpose so he wouldn't have to bury them.. my club members found numerous deer in the soybeans and the body rotting in the fields killed a 60 yard circle of beans around the body. Wardens were called and his farmer permit was revoked. Now he just plants hay because he can't win with soybeans or corn on some if these properties.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same guys that sell you corn during the day are slaughtering the herd at night

Never thought of it that way.   Depressing; lol.

My complaint with the system is this state has every joker planting two dozen tomato plants and a half dozen christmas trees then claiming its a farm. 

And given the highest property taxes in America, if they didn't have those bogus tax rules, there'd be about 10 people left in New Jersey.  We're already the state more people are LEAVING in all of America (for 6 years in a row now).

I heard probably at least 50 shots; maybe 100...I just stopped counting. 

Odd to think that could all have been deer hunting.   I pull the trigger once and all the deer but the one with the terrible "fight or flight" response gets out of dodge.  A second trigger pull and typically everyone's gone.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775