IGNORED

Transporting inherited firearms across states

Hey guys, just a question on transporting inherited firearms across state lines. I have most of my dads guns already but a few more need to be transported from FL to NJ. They are all long arms (2 rifles and 1 shotgun).

The two options are driving them back or flying them back.

Is there anything I need to do or be aware of other than putting them in a locked case with no ammo?

Whether driven or flown do I need each one in its own individual case? I'll read TSA documentation but someone here may already know.

If driven, would I need to be present in the vehicle if any issue arose? This is in the event someone else drives them back due to circumstances.

Who should I call to verify transport laws? Destination NJSP? TSA if I fly with them?

Anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks for the help guys, and apologies if my head isn't working too well right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself the hassle and just put then in thier cases, put them in the trunk and drive home, all perfectly legal, hand guns would need to be shipped to an FFL as I understand it, but long guns don't need to, otherwise you could not go dove hunting in PA! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Save yourself the hassle and just put then in thier cases, put them in the trunk and drive home, all perfectly legal, hand guns would need to be shipped to an FFL as I understand it, but long guns don't need to, otherwise you could not go dove hunting in PA! Lol

Incorrect. An inherited handgun does not need to go through an FFL. That is an exception in NJ Law. I would however have a copy of the documentation that gave you ownership of those handguns during transport until they get to their new home.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Incorrect. An inherited handgun does not need to go through an FFL. That is an exception in NJ Law. I would however have a copy of the documentation that gave you ownership of those handguns during transport until they get to their new home.

Correct. I just went through this when my father passed away last year. His firearms were willed to my brother and myself. I doubled checked with the state police and they confirmed this.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Driving- trunk in cases

Flying- Call whichever airline you're using.  More than one gun can be flown in a locked case.  I used United Airlines and they were very accommodating on the phone and at both airports, Philly and Portland.