IGNORED

Compound vs crossbow at last light.

Lonewolf

Does anyone else feel like using a crossbow with a scope gives them a few extra mins at last light ?

My last hunt I had a deer come in right at last light, although I could see the deer I wasn't comfortable taking a shot, pretty sure if I was using my crossbow instead It would of gave me a few extra mins to take a ethical shot.

Ahh decisions decisions....

Does anyone else feel like using a crossbow with a scope gives them a few extra mins at last light ?

No doubt about it.  Took a buck last year that I dont think I could have got with a vertical bow.  It was mid-November and within 2 minutes of game over.  Through the scope I could see pretty clearly, without the scope....not so much.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

No doubt about it.  Took a buck last year that I dont think I could have got with a vertical bow.  It was mid-November and within 2 minutes of game over.  Through the scope I could see pretty clearly, without the scope....not so much.

Well there you have it, proof that scoped x-bows are decimating the deer herds wherever they have been allowed in the general archery season. Look out Illinois! 

Of course, legal hunting hours start 1/2 hour before sunrise, and  end 1/2 hour after sunset. 

Today sunset is 6:57 PM. Last legal shot is at 7:26 PM.   I can easily "see to shoot" with my compound until about 6:40 pm if sky is clear.

That puts me about 10 minutes past legal.

If I had a scoped x-bow, figure another 10 minutes, so 20 minutes past legal shooting time.

However - I am sure that everyone including scoped crossbow hunters would never shoot a buck in that last 20 minutes of illegal shooting light, correct?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Well there you have it, proof that scoped x-bows are decimating the deer herds wherever they have been allowed in the general archery season. Look out Illinois! 

Of course, legal hunting hours start 1/2 hour before sunrise, and  end 1/2 hour after sunset. 

Today sunset is 6:57 PM. Last legal shot is at 7:26 PM.   I can easily "see to shoot" with my compound until about 6:40 pm if sky is clear.

If I had a scoped x-bow, figure another 10 minutes, so 20 minutes past legal shooting time.

However - I am sure that everyone including scoped crossbow hunters would never shoot a buck in that last 20 minutes of illegal shooting light, correct?

Interesting.  I usually have a hard time seeing much earlier....but I usually am in the woods; not on field edges.  And, I'm old.....

I can't say wether or not a scope will give you more time but I can say that those 3/16 inch peep sights are worthless for hunting low light! They just don't let enough light through to see down range, now the G5 meta mega hunter peep at 5/16 can have you shooting up to the last second of legal time. I've heard complaints about the larger peeps (1/4-5/16 inch) because the sight window is smaller than what is seen through the peep which means you have to center the site in the center of the peep. To me it's not a problem but guess most guys suck at shooting so they are unable to line things up!

Snowfall allows the most amount of questionable hunting time ! Not that anyone would use that to their advantage , the timetable matters to all shielded protectors of wildlife , take it from me experience tells me this ! If you can't see well enough , that tells me the bell has already sounded , and everyone has walked into that last minute buck , that is a snort you will never forget especially in cold weather !

Edited by Sotaroas

My arrow is usually tucked away in my quiver by the time legal shooting light expires.

What if it's a dark, dreary night and 15-25 minutes before LST expires you have about the same light as right before LST, do you tuck your arrow away in your quiver then?

In my experiences deer love to come in the last 5 minutes of LST so I'm tucking my arrow away when the state says I have to!

What if it's a dark, dreary night and 15-25 minutes before LST expires you have about the same light as right before LST, do you tuck your arrow away in your quiver then?

In my experiences deer love to come in the last 5 minutes of LST so I'm tucking my arrow away when the state says I have to!

If I can't see well my arrow comes off the string. I don't care if it's noon.

Of course, legal hunting hours start 1/2 hour before sunrise, and end 1/2 hour after sunset.

Today sunset is 6:57 PM. Last legal shot is at 7:26 PM. I can easily "see to shoot" with my compound until about 6:40 pm if sky is clear.

However - I am sure that everyone including scoped crossbow hunters would never shoot a buck in that last 20 minutes of illegal shooting light, correct?

Think ya mean 7:40

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk