IGNORED

What the hell happened to Sportsman Center?

06roadking

I do most all of my shopping at Cheyenne Mountain but occasionally stop at Sportsman Center for fishing stuff. I know Cheyenne hired Vinny and his kid who are both top bow techs and customer service at Cheyenne is great. I've had a couple of bad experiences at Sportsman center mainly due to ignorant, rude employees. Well, I stopped at Sportsman Center over the weekend and really, they have NOTHING to sell. They had one bow hanging up. They had zero arrows. I mean ZERO! No standard arrows or crossbow arrows. They had no crossbows at all. Their fishing dept is less than half the size it used to be. They had no clothing. Hell, they didn't have not even one bottle of deer urine for Christ sake! A few guns. Some boots. Place was empty! I couldn't believe it. Maybe their rude employees chased everyone off. When I was a kid, my dad would take me there and it was the place to be. Guess Cheyenne doing things right has brought the axe down on Sportsman Center once and for all. Like I said, I didn't buy much there due to how I was treated on more than one occasion but I hate to see another place go out of business. Plus, a little competition in any business helps keep prices in check and make places work harder to get yer business. Anyone know the story?

When retail stocks nothing, it means they are out of cash and credit.  They are on the brink of going under it seems.

In retail, customer service will make or break you.  Heck, in any business this is the case.  More than likely their craptacular retail team annoyed the customers enough to shop someplace else.

You reap what you sow.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Cheyenne is far superior in every way except lack of a fishing department. Couple that with the way that online shopping is crushing retail stores and they really don't stand a chamce. Stopped at sportsman's center last year for a box of cheap steel shot for the youth duck day and they wanted $18 for a box of low end steel. That box is less than $11 from cabelas or macks. Went down to Cheyenne and bought the same box for $12. I love to support small businesses and don't mind paying a dollar or two more for the convenience of being able to just drive to the store and pick it up but I can't justify spending 75% more and have to deal with a rude employee just to support a store that has been around forever

Edited by Bubblehead

I honestly haven't been there in over 2 years and Cheyenne almost the same . I try to support as much as my wallet will tolerate . I know Vinny 20 years and his last year there was hell, you could see it on his face when you walked in. Since a lot of the old timers left about 3 years ago it was a slow spiral downhill I remember the Jambos with the Benoit Family and Salernos from NY ... Good Times

I went in Sportsman's last year and realized the regulars had disappeared and some new staff were in their place.  Like ya'll stated before, it seemed like I was a bother even though I was spending money there....definitely not the same standard of care of customer service.  I haven't been to Cheyenne for bow care yet, but I miss the old staff from Sportsman's.

I haven't been to the Sportsman's Center since the 90's, when they used to host the Deer Classic, or whatever the big deer hunters' festival was called.  Used to draw a huge crowd.  I used to man the UBNJ booth, and it was a thrill to get to hang out with a lot of big-name bowhunters.  Got to sit down and have lunch with Gene Wensel on two occasions!

I haven't been to the Sportsman's Center since the 90's, when they used to host the Deer Classic, or whatever the big deer hunters' festival was called.  Used to draw a huge crowd.  I used to man the UBNJ booth, and it was a thrill to get to hang out with a lot of big-name bowhunters.  Got to sit down and have lunch with Gene Wensel on two occasions!

The Jamboree! That place was happening back then . I worked there for a very short time in my teens and would go there on my off days sometimes. Now...whewwwwww its a shame. 

Cheyenne is now the place to be in that area for sure.

I have no idea how the can open the doors and turn on the lights. They literally have nothing to sell. I was almost embarrassed for the people working there. Almost....I went in there once back in their heyday right from work. I was completely dirty but, I did have $1000 in my pocket. I waiting my turn in line at the gun counter. When I got up there I told the clown behind the counter I wanted to get into shotgun shell reloading and needed everything to get started...reloading machine, resizer all supplies and books. He looked at me and said "Before I get all of that stuff together, you think you can afford it?". This was in front of about 20 people. I pulled my wad out of my pocket and said "I'm sure that I can but I won't be needing a bag for any of it cuz right after I pay for it I'm gonna wait my turn in line again a stick all of it right up yer azz". I never went back til I heard that guy was gone. Never bought much there cuz most of the staff, other than Vinny, had about the same attitude. Wonder if their all still as cocky standing in the unemployment line. I'm sure that attitude was the demise of the store.

I'm local and shop both . Sportsmans really never has anything . I'll stop in to check milsurp rifles once in a while just to see , other than that it's pretty dead . Cheyenne I've had too many instances when looking at firearms where I felt like they were too busy to show me anything . I haven't bought much from them in quite a while .

Wow! I just had a flashback to Ray's in the early eighties! Good times! :up: