IGNORED

Crossbows now legal in Illinois

tcook8296

The ONLY problem I have with a crossbow is that IT DOES NOT INCREASE your effective range. If you are a 40 yd max w "vertical bow," then it is the same w a crossbow.

It has a scope though?? Doesn't that add like 50 yards? 

Personally I am not a fan of crossbows and I really don't see them becoming too popular in states like Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, etc. 

The ONLY problem I have with a crossbow is that IT DOES NOT INCREASE your effective range. If you are a 40 yd max w "vertical bow," then it is the same w a crossbow.

But it does!

It is so much easier to shoot long distance with a crossbow(BTW most have pins to 50 yards and you can easy practice and be effective beyond 50 yards). The eas of being consistently accurate gives you much greater reach. Your not even close or fair to compare the two.

Edited by Lunatic

Archers used to be a select group of men with a high regard for tradition and doing it the hard/old way.   After all, you don't have to accept the challenge of a bow, we have guns now.  Seems like quite a few guys only try to make it easier and easier not more challenging, but that is a personal choice.  Everyone's definition of challenge is different.  Now... bows have changed quit a bit from when I started.  I still use the old bows, but I don't really have a problem with the modern stuff, I just accept them for what they are and the different challenge that they provide. (Lazy cheating scum) ;) 

Edited by Nomad

Archers used to be a select group of men with a high regard for tradition and doing it the hard/old way.   After all, you don't have to accept the challenge of a bow, we have guns now.  Seems like quite a few guys only try to make it easier and easier not more challenging, but that is a personal choice.  Everyone's definition of challenge is different.  Now... bows have changed quit a bit from when I started.  I still use the old bows, but I don't really have a problem with the modern stuff, I just accept them for what they are and the different challenge that they provide. (Lazy cheating scum) ;) 

And this selective group of men are free to exist. There are no laws making anyone moving up from a long bow or compound bow.

It is interesting how so many made the move from primitive bows to compounds but then they are against others who made the next step to crossbows. :happywave:

Regardless of what you choose to shoot, the average whitetail kill happens at 17 to 19 yards (national average,whatever that means) so, it ain't over till the bloody arrow is in the dirt. Sometimes what appears to be a slam dunk turns out to be tag soup. The animal provides the challenge. 

I don't see anyone but the manufacturers clamoring for all of the "modern" weaponry to make profits from it all no matter what it is. They run stuff down peoples throats whether we like it or not  If hunters lobbied any states for any of it I have not heard about it. The thing I'd like to see changed since it seems we have no choice in any of the matters (including hunter surveys that go unheeded) is the mindset of those hunters who use the devices. That mindset being self control and respecting the deer herd we have left.

If you log onto any of the stickbow or compound sites the "chicken Littles" are bawling their eyes out over this decision. I guess its a little known fact that if you hunt with a crossbow you are successful everytime you go out? The arguments and excuses are priceless.  

Why I dun heard that when you shoot one of them crossbow bolts, it ricochets and kills every dang deer within 30 feet!   My friend he dun seen it!

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Ummmmm.........no.

A crossbow will increase the average proficient person's range, assuming both people are proficient with their weapons and keep them properly tuned & running.

If you dont believe that set up a little contest where you and a friend fire arrows at targets at 30, 40, 50, etc... yards.

SPOILER ALERT:   The guy with the crossbow is going to win.

Edited by BenedictGomez

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

But it does!

It is so much easier to shoot long distance with a crossbow(BTW most have pins to 50 yards and you can easy practice and be effective beyond 50 yards). The eas of being consistently accurate gives you much greater reach. Your not even close or fair to compare the two.

Yes, the crossbow does increase accuracy at range. No doubt about it.

But just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD do something.  

I CAN reliably hit the target at 60 yards in the kill zone with my crossbow, but I don't take those 60 yards shots in the field.

Yes, the crossbow does increase accuracy at range. No doubt about it.

But just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD do something.  

I CAN reliably hit the target at 60 yards in the kill zone with my crossbow, but I don't take those 60 yards shots in the field.

But thats the huge problem. People think that because they can shoot accurately out to 60+ yards at a target, they can shoot a deer at that distance as well. Add all the companies promoting a 400+ FPS and showing shooting groups at long distances isn't helping the cause either.