IGNORED

positive stories with other hunters you didn't know

mazzgolf

Opening day of the 6 day I got to my ladder stand on public land and there was another guy sitting in it.  I told him it was my stand and he shone his light down on me and said, "F you, I was here first, get lost".   So I went about 200 yards and sat down, and about 7am shot a big 9 point.heet  I had to drag the deer back past his stand on the way out and I didn't hear him say anything, so maybe he was happy for me. Would like to thank that guy for helping me out ipon such a positive way. Never would have gotten that buck without his advice.

Oh sheet was that you? Well your welcome.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Opening day of the 6 day I got to my ladder stand on public land and there was another guy sitting in it.  I told him it was my stand and he shone his light down on me and said, "F you, I was here first, get lost".   So I went about 200 yards and sat down, and about 7am shot a big 9 point.  I had to drag the deer back past his stand on the way out and I didn't hear him say anything, so maybe he was happy for me. Would like to thank that guy for helping me out in such a positive way. Never would have gotten that buck without his advice.

you let some guy, sitting in your stand, tell you to F off? hope you're joking 

Opening day of the 6 day I got to my ladder stand on public land and there was another guy sitting in it.  I told him it was my stand and he shone his light down on me and said, "F you, I was here first, get lost".   So I went about 200 yards and sat down, and about 7am shot a big 9 point.  I had to drag the deer back past his stand on the way out and I didn't hear him say anything, so maybe he was happy for me. Would like to thank that guy for helping me out in such a positive way. Never would have gotten that buck without his advice.

That's a story of a NJ scumbag, so.....  :offtopic:

I can't really think of anything specific right now, but I've had a lot of positive encounters with great people in the woods. I honestly think the majority of hunters are good guys and gals. 

I also believe that a lot of issues arise simply because of the following:

Limited time to hunt with a limited space to hunt on and limited resources that we're all going after.

In other words....Most people only have so much time to go out and hunt, so they don't want that hunt ruined by another hunter. Compound that with the fact that there are only so many deer in the woods and they mostly live in small pockets, (90% of deer use 10% of the woods).... so anyone reading the deer sign properly is going to end up very close to each other. There aren't a lot of places that get little to no pressure, so we can't just pick up and move without a lot of effort involved and even if we do, same problems will exist.

Over the years, I've adapted my way of hunting to avoid this as best I can. I don't want my day ruined and I don't want to ruin someone elses. It still happens inadvertently though and I hunt pretty unorthodox in some cases, so I'm sure people have witnessed me and thought....what a shmuck. My intentions are only to have fun without ruining someone elses day.

Like I said though, it's going to happen and I don't think there's much we can do about it.

When I started to realize this and think of it this way, I really didn't care if someone moved into an area I was hunting. Or blundered by me breaking every branch. What are you going to do? It's public land and they're out here just trying to have fun like me. 

Also, all the wounded warrior hunts I was on would rank way up there with my positive experiences. Met so many wonderful people. Some of the best days I've ever spent in the woods.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I left my pack on a rock when I left one night.  Next morning I went to another spot, and couldn't find my pack in the truck.  My license was on it, and I was worried where I had left it.  I went back to the other spot, and found it behind the big rock.  Thought it had fallen behind the rock, and I didn't see it when I left.   Since I was there, I stayed there to hunt for the day.  On the way out at night, another hunter caught up to me and said,"I see you found your pack".  It didn't click at first, then he said," I figured you would be the only one to look for it behind the rock, and if it was still there tonight I would have brought it to the ranger station."  I must have thanked him a hundred times before we got back to the trucks, then offered him my towel to dry his gun off before I did mine.

I was talking to two polish guys going in the same way I was one afternoon.  Nice guys to say the least.  They gave me their cell# and offered to help me drag out a deer if I got one.  I would have given them the meat if they did.

Edited by Greybeard

met a few guys hunting over years nothing  lasting but a couple that i would talk to each year i remember one of them during six day had his dad who was maybe 80 or so with him one morning late in the week and a  group of us did a drive in that area and being on the end i could hear then see them breaking and then the old man opened up on this decent 7 point  as i walked up he was shaking his head laughing he couldn't figure how he missed him. i said you didn't miss he shook his head yeah he went across the field and never stopped he says.  being at the end of the drive  i told him to wait there and went across the field to were i thought i seen it go in and fall , sure enough it laid ten feet in the woods i will never forget the smile on his face as i was dragging it back to him.i think  have had more positive experiences than negative over the years....