IGNORED

Lighted Nocks. Thoughts?

dlist777

I was thinking about getting lighted nocks for my crossbow.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Are they worth it?  Do they change POA at all?  

To answer your questions:   Do it.  Yes.  No.

And there's no reason to use an expensive brand like Firenock.  I use Lumenok which is much less expensive and they work great, PLUS you can install them yourself.

In fact, I like them so much that I installed them on all my practice arrows as well.  As with firearms, I'm a big believer in "shoot what you're going to use" in the actual moment.

As a helpful tip, buy BOTH red & green lighted nocks.  You use the red lighted nocks for early dawn and late dusk, and you use the green lighted nocks for daylight conditions, because, science.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

In my experience, they absolutely changed my POI by 2-3 inches. But it's not only the weight that I believe creates the change, it's a combination of weight and how the nock sits on your string. Depending on which type you use, the activation switch may have an impact. In order to nock the arrow without activating the light, the nock can't be pushed entirely onto the string, the actual switch centered in the nock throat must remain slightly away from the string, this creates a small gap between the string and the throat, I believe this gap, coupled with a weight difference, causes the varying POI, at least with my set up, you all may not experience the same result, but I would strongly suggest you shoot the exact setup you'll be using.

In order to nock the arrow without activating the light, the nock can't be pushed entirely onto the string

They're not all like that though.  I'm not sure which brand(s) you're referring to, but the ones I use for instance (Lumenok), the "space" is fingernail thick, so you get the same POI (assuming shooter does his/her part).

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

They're not all like that though.  I'm not sure which brand(s) you're referring to, but the ones I use for instance (Lumenok), the "space" is fingernail thick, so you get the same POI (assuming shooter does his/her part).

In my experience, they absolutely changed my POI by 2-3 inches. But it's not only the weight that I believe creates the change, it's a combination of weight and how the nock sits on your string. Depending on which type you use, the activation switch may have an impact. In order to nock the arrow without activating the light, the nock can't be pushed entirely onto the string, the actual switch centered in the nock throat must remain slightly away from the string, this creates a small gap between the string and the throat, I believe this gap, coupled with a weight difference, causes the varying POI, at least with my set up, you all may not experience the same result, but I would strongly suggest you shoot the exact setup you'll be using.

Thanks.  In either case, I'll definitely shoot them before I go out to be sure.  I guess I'm mainly concerned with them impacting accuracy (widening my groups).  If POA changes a bit, that's fine so long as it is consistent.  

Many times the POI difference is not the weight, its the fit. A lot of them pinch the string too tight. For the average archer/bow hunter, your not going to notice 8-10 grains @ 20 yards IF the nock to string fit is correct. 

If you check out some of the threads on AT, youll see a lot of Nocturnals cracked and broke. A lot of the newer ones were breaking more often than the older ones. They tightened the throat and this was causing way too much pinch. They added what I call the "wings" to the nock hoping the extra plastic would prevent cracking. There were still lots of threads in regards to them breaking.

I had an older Nocturnal and newer one at the shop last year. Old one went on the string with that faint little click and fit all the way on perfectly. The new model(I believe Rage bought them???) never sat on the string correctly. Needed Incredible Hulk to put them on, but then it would activate. Re-served and then was good to go. However, I now shoot Ignitors...

The nock out lighted nocks fit perfectly on my string but I didnt like how it was adding another 1" or so to the back end of the arrow.

In either case, I'll definitely shoot them before I go out to be sure.  I guess I'm mainly concerned with them impacting accuracy (widening my groups).  If POA changes a bit, that's fine so long as it is consistent.  

Definitely.   I weigh mine and then test them on a tripod for POA.  I have a bunch of them since they're on all my practice arrows as well, and I've never had one out-of-spec, but better safe than sorry.

???

I have many places where the landowners let me legally hunt their property. Oftentimes the neighbors don't like hunting. If you want to lose a hunting spot just advertise that you hunt there. Landowners don't want complaints about hunting on their property. If a pain in the ass anti hunting neighbor sees you marching around the neighborhood in camo, you're done. The same goes for lighted nocks,flying around or worse yet a deer with a lighted

arrow in it.

Edited by Zipper

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

I have many places where the landowners let me legally hunt their property. Oftentimes the neighbors don't like hunting. If you want to lose a hunting spot just advertise that you hunt there. Landowners don't want complaints about hunting on their property.

They don't want complaints about hunting on their property?  WTH?

If my neighbor complained that I allowed deer hunting on MY property, I'd tell him/her, CONGRATULATIONS, because of your mouth I'm now allowing bear hunting, fox hunting, turkey hunting, and just maybe even coyote hunting WITH an AR-15 to boot!

Screw that.  I'll move out of New Jersey before I live in fear of my neighbors.

Edited by BenedictGomez

They don't want complaints about hunting on their property?  WTH?

If my neighbor complained that I allowed deer hunting on MY property, I'd tell him/her, CONGRATULATIONS, because of your mouth I'm now allowing bear hunting, fox hunting, turkey hunting, and just maybe even coyote hunting WITH an AR-15 to boot!

I'll move out of New Jersey before I live in fear of my neighbors.

Ok I see you have a lot of experience with this. :) A landowner is nice enough to give you permission to hunt their property and you think it's okay to piss off his neighbors and create a big headache for him. I know many property owners who have nothing against hunting, but they don't want the hassles of antihunting neighbors busting their balls for letting you hunt. That's just the way it is. What you do on your own property is up to you. If you are a guest on someone else's property you act in a way to alleviate problems for them.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Benedict,

I think its just another perspective or working with the landowner that's giving permission. I don't think it has anything to do with fearing  thy neighbor.  Speak softly and carry a big stick! ( Teddy Roosevelt). We all have our opinions, Its all good! :up:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

I have many places where the landowners let me legally hunt their property. Oftentimes the neighbors don't like hunting. If you want to lose a hunting spot just advertise that you hunt there. Landowners don't want complaints about hunting on their property. If a pain in the ass anti hunting neighbor sees you marching around the neighborhood in camo, you're done. The same goes for lighted nocks,flying around or worse yet a deer with a lighted

arrow in it.

Ok, thanks. I didn't think about that, and it makes sense.

One farm I hunt I have similar situation. We were asked by the farmer to stay away from one side and we respect his wishes. No need to eff up a good thing for no reason