IGNORED

Scope Help?

JimmyScags

Hey Guys,

I picked up a couple of Savage Axis rifles(.22-250 and .270) on the cheap and as such put cheaper optics on them (a bushnell 4x12 and a barska6x24). They both had pretty good reviews but I'm not having much luck with them. I took them over to Tackle and Field and had them bore sighted and then went to Cherry Ridge.

The problem I'm having is that it seems like I'm seeing the inside of the scope more than anything, eventually I'm able to get in the right position to see the crosshairs fairly clearly but the shots still aren't great. Seems like the parallax is moving even when set to the right distance. To compound problems I wear glasses and from what I've read that also seems to wreak havoc on optics. I do have a Bushnell 1.75x4 Trophy XLT on my slug gun that I don't experience the same issues with.

I'm planning on a trip in October and need to get this sorted out fairly quick so I can get back to practicing. Is there anyone or anyplace I can go to in North Jersey with the expertise to help me on this? I don't want to break the bank being that these are sub $200 rifles but I am willing to buy a new scope with in reason if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

Hey Guys,

I picked up a couple of Savage Axis rifles(.22-250 and .270) on the cheap and as such put cheaper optics on them (a bushnell 4x12 and a barska6x24). They both had pretty good reviews but I'm not having much luck with them. I took them over to Tackle and Field and had them bore sighted and then went to Cherry Ridge.

The problem I'm having is that it seems like I'm seeing the inside of the scope more than anything, eventually I'm able to get in the right position to see the crosshairs fairly clearly but the shots still aren't great. Seems like the parallax is moving even when set to the right distance. To compound problems I wear glasses and from what I've read that also seems to wreak havoc on optics. I do have a Bushnell 1.75x4 Trophy XLT on my slug gun that I don't experience the same issues with.

I'm planning on a trip in October and need to get this sorted out fairly quick so I can get back to practicing. Is there anyone or anyplace I can go to in North Jersey with the expertise to help me on this? I don't want to break the bank being that these are sub $200 rifles but I am willing to buy a new scope with in reason if needed.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

For the 22-250 I recommend the Vortex 4-12-40. Its only $200 and its a great scope. AT the range you can see where you hit the target at 150 yards and a groundhog at 150 yards looks like a horse.

It sounds like your eye relief is not set right. Also if you can use the focus adjustment to get a clear sight picture without your glasses on it will help you a lot.

I agree, sounds like an eye relief issue. You may need a scope with a longer one

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Jimmy,

When in October are you heading out?  No panic, we'll get you sorted. 

A few questions:

(1) What is the model of the Bushnell?  Does it have parallax? Is it first focal plane or second? Personally, I would forget the Barska. 

(2) When you say that it feels like you can see the inside of the scope, are you seeing a black or white-ish outer circle?

Once the scope is correctly focused at the eyepiece and you've got about 2" of eye relief, then you should adjust the parallax.

As for parallax markings, don't go by what the scope says, but what your eye tells you.  I shoot 1000ya often with parallax on 600ya.  

Dial the parallax out until there's no apparent movement between the reticle and target. Use the parallax markings as an estimate.

Forget bore scopes: a waste of time and money.  Totally unnecessary at 100ya. I use the same method for 100 and 1000ya to get on paper - looking through the bore.

A few more questions:

(3) what are you hunting?

(4) at what distances?

(5) do you reload?

Edited by username

Yeah I definitely think Eye relief has a lot to do with it. The Bushnell on my slug gun has a much longer eye relief and it works great for me.

Username.

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm leaving October 5th.

1) Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm Multi-X

Adjustable Objective Paralax

Second Focal Plane

2) Black and cloudy

3) Deer and Boar

4) Outfitter says 125yd average but anywhere from 50-400yd opportunities

5) I don't cure reload but plan to in the future.

Damn, what caliber?

Thanks for the detailed response.

:up:

I'm leaving October 5th.

Plenty of time.  I'll be at Cherry Ridge on Saturday the 23.  If you are still having issues, we can sort them out.  I'll be there on the 23, maybe sooner.

2) Black and cloudy

If you are seeing an outer black circle, your scope is too far forward.  Cloudy may indicate that either the scope is out of focus and/or the parallax is not set correctly.

Your scope has a generous 3.3" eye relief.  Try bringing it back towards you and see if it helps.

4) Outfitter says 125yd average but anywhere from 50-400yd opportunities

125 is nothing for good factory ammo on a deer or hog sized target.  400yd is doable with a 4-12.

Pick a magnification and get used to it.  

Your second focal plane has the advantage of a fixed reticle size, however, moa increments will vary with magnification setting. Is there a "*" or number missing on the magnification scale?  Generally speaking, I would go right in the middle of the magnification range - 8x.

For what you are doing, I would zero at 200ya. Anything inside of 200ya gets the center of the reticle.  Learn where to hold for 300ya or 400ya.

Find out what the top of the thick 6:00 post corresponds to too.  That is, if you have a 200ya zero and hold over, centering the top of the thick 6:00 reticle will correspond to ... - 300ya?  400ya?

5) I don't cure reload but plan to in the future.

I would buy several boxes of factory ammo, such as Hornady in 130gr or 140gr or Nosler Trophy Grade.  Get a rock solid rest and head to the 200 and 300ya range at CR.  Shoot 5 shots at small targets and see which holds the best group.  Whichever group is smallest, buy a few hundred rounds and shoot as much as you can.

Not to sound like a jerk but my recommendation is to loose the cheap scopes and buy decent quality.  If there is one thing where the saying "you get what you pay for" is true, it is with optics.

You can go cheap with a rifle and it will still be a shooter out of the box, but always spend the most on optics and rings.  I have a $400.00 rifle that wears a $1000.00 scope and $200.00 rings, and a $200.00 MZ with a $500.00 scope and $80.00 rings.

The higher the magnification goes, the more you need quality.  You are much better off buying an inexpensive fixed power scope, then an inexpensive variable scope.  Depending on the game you are hunting you can shoot a long way out with a 4x scope.

Best of luck.

Not to sound like a jerk but my recommendation is to loose the cheap scopes and buy decent quality.  If there is one thing where the saying "you get what you pay for" is true, it is with optics.

You can go cheap with a rifle and it will still be a shooter out of the box, but always spend the most on optics and rings.  I have a $400.00 rifle that wears a $1000.00 scope and $200.00 rings, and a $200.00 MZ with a $500.00 scope and $80.00 rings.

The higher the magnification goes, the more you need quality.  You are much better off buying an inexpensive fixed power scope, then an inexpensive variable scope.  Depending on the game you are hunting you can shoot a long way out with a 4x scope.

Best of luck.

I was just in the process of typing a similar reply.  I often bite my tongue when I read about cheap optics on forums, but I agree with cappy.  Sell both scopes and parlay the funds into one scope for your .270 since that is likely the gun you'll use on a boar and deer trip.  Toss in whatever extra funds you can on top of that and worry about the 22-250 next year.  Think of modern hunting rifles as race cars because most will shoot just fine well beyond 300 yards.  You don't put budget brand tires on your race car, so why put a cheap scope on your rifle?  There are some scope brands out there that are just crap and should never be bought.  Just my two cents.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

Think of modern hunting rifles as race cars because most will shoot just fine well beyond 300 yards.  You don't put budget brand tires on your race car, so why put a cheap scope on your rifle?  

May be he is shopping on a budget since he stated his Rifles are Sub $200 out the 1000s of Scopes out there as to day what was Crap years ago is state of the Art today.  I guess the question to members is I need a good performing scope that won't break my bank but can be mounted later on a better rifle when I open my piggy bank  ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

What town are you near?  I might be able to help.

I'm in Garfield but willing to travel to meet you at a range or whatever.

Yeah guys I think you're right about getting what you pay for. It's just that there's so many options and everything it gets real confusing for a novice, factor in the lure of saving a buck with online shopping and I think I screwed the pooch. It's actually kind of funny because I always lecture my clients that saving a buck usually costs them two in the long run. Should've taken my own advice!

I'm in Garfield but willing to travel to meet you at a range or whatever.

Yeah guys I think you're right about getting what you pay for. It's just that there's so many options and everything it gets real confusing for a novice, factor in the lure of saving a buck with online shopping and I think I screwed the pooch. It's actually kind of funny because I always lecture my clients that saving a buck usually costs them two in the long run. Should've taken my own advice!

I'm not far, I will send you a PM