IGNORED

Woodpile Cleanup

You all heat with wood that doesn't have a roof/tarp over top to keep dry? I know Jack does...

He gave me wood to try my new insert last season and it was 5 years old, but not covered.. smoked alot and wouldn't get real hot..

Curious if everyone just burns it uncovered and somewhat wet like that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You all heat with wood that doesn't have a roof/tarp over top to keep dry? I know Jack does...

He gave me wood to try my new insert last season and it was 5 years old, but not covered.. smoked alot and wouldn't get real hot..

Curious if everyone just burns it uncovered and somewhat wet like that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I top cover my wood about a month or two before I burn it. It's just to keep the outside dry. Unless it's punky, wood looses moisture through the ends. I age my wood for various amounts of time depending on type. Ash 18 months, maple 24 months, cherry 24 months, hickory 24 months, oak 24 to 36 months. I keep records of when the wood is stacked and burn in order of dryness. Before I start burning a stack, I freshly split a piece and check it with a moisture meter. Below 20% is good. I'm usually 15 to 18%.

random9.jpg

Here's an exotic way of stacking wood, I think it's a Scandinavian style of stackin'- I used to be meticulous about stacking my wood, but I since I have wood from various species and from green to punky bark, I just have lots of separate small stacks most of the new stuff is either bowsaw and single/double bit axe, or just any of the axe from felling to bucking to splitting.

gardening11.jpg