IGNORED

How accurate are your arrows.

Livesintrees

A lot of guys will tune the nuts off their bows (myself included), but how well built are your arrows. Do you make them yourself? Does a shop do it? The difference between a perfect built high quality arrow and a shop shelf Special can be up to 6" group size variations assuming a perfectly tuned bow and a disciplined shooter.

Posting this Bc at the range yesterday before the rains and a guy was there shooting. 20 yards getting frustrated as all hell. Looked like he was patterning a shotgun. I was at 55 yards confirming a sight mark and holding 2-2.5" groups. Started talking to him and he couldn't understand why he couldn't hold a group even with FIELD POINTS. Looked at his bow quick, moved his center shot and nocking point. Peep was spot on. No cam lean. Timing was provably a twist out but with no press, couldn't make that change. Shot a couple more arrows and the groups came together a tiny bit. Then I checked his arrows out. Made from a local shop, he didn't say where, and I didn't ask. Doesn't matter where. Not one nock was indexed the same as the next, nock bushings weren't square, point inserts weren't square, wraps had more bubbles in them then bubble wrap, and the canes also weren't set properly either. His arrows were within 1/4" of mine and the same spine. Handed him 4 and said shoot these and let's see. Low and behold, 4 arrows in the top of a coffee cup lid at 20 yards from a fairly new shooter. Imagine the same setup trying to shoot broadheads? He packed up his stuff, said thank you and left with a Lancaster archery list I gave him with what he needs to do it himself, as well as my phone number for any questions.

Most people don't go as into depth as Myself and others into the tuning process, especially arrow building. And that's fine. But With the amount of free information out there, especially videos by pro archers that take you step by tedious step into building tournament grade arrows, your simply cheating yourself out of accuracy in a few small overlooked steps.

Nice job!

I have mine done at Strictly Archery so I know they are all dead on. Spine tested and built from bare shafts. Never an issue with them at all.

I build my own. Same thing though. Arrows are built to with .2 of a grain. I use my tester not only for spine and straightness, but also on nock and point bushings. The dial gauged places on them and then rotated shows you how true they are to the shaft. Arrows straightness is measured in the factory with a laser shot down the center. So the .001 they claim is really .002 tolerance on the tester. You can reheat and 1/8 turn at a time rotate bushings to the truest fit. A .001 arrow with a bushing that shows .006 is at the mercy of the components. Cutting more of one end then the other can make a world of difference. I've made arrows backwards. Basically you want the truest end of the shat the have your nock as that's the driving force. Sometimes that means having the factory nock end become the point end.

I build my own arrows when I have the time and money, most of the shafts I have have been through multiple deer, I just wash off the blood check for cracks or splinters and then remove the old feather fletch and re so it. Three inch left wing all chartreuse.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Fanatic about my arrow builds.

while I have a bunch of jigs my better arrow are all made on a single jig , especially my tournament arrows.many shafts arent created equal

Gold tips especially can be made to be much truer by cutting an inch off their nock ends, then being cut to the correct length.

may arrows are then matched shooting at 60 yards.

all arrows are spined. as well as weight matched.

at one point I used to even match vane weights, but found the little difference in their weights only made a difference on arrow that were on the edge of being underspined.

but I do still weigh components looking for deviation

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Bob & AJ's Archery World Do mine. Easton Axis 340.

They cut to length, make sure ends are square etc.

I'll do refletching on my own.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Fmj ' s accurate enough , going to get into building and tuning soon ! Definitely the more control you have over your set up the better !

Any carbon/aluminum combines the best of both worlds. As long as your ends are square your in business. Shot them for several seasons with excellent results.

Fanatic about my arrow builds.

while I have a bunch of jigs my better arrow are all made on a single jig , especially my tournament arrows.many shafts arent created equal

Gold tips especially can be made to be much truer by cutting an inch off their nock ends, then being cut to the correct length.

may arrows are then matched shooting at 60 yards.

all arrows are spined. as well as weight matched.

at one point I used to even match vane weights, but found the little difference in their weights only made a difference on arrow that were on the edge of being underspined.

but I do still weigh components looking for deviation

Gold tips I've shot in the past were excellent are around. I shot the ultralight pros for many years. Spin and spine test and take off from whatever side showed more wobble. And that wasn't very often. The biggest variations I find are in pin nock bushings. I would buy several dozen each year and always one or two out of the package weren't true. As I know you shoot tournaments.....if I were to setup a field arrow tomorrow I would be getting "da torch" shafts. Hunted with hem for several years and they are more consistent then cx nanos and Easton x10's and ace's. Most underrated and little known about arrows I've ever built and shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I build and fletch my own. This way I can control the quality and consistency of my hunting arrows. I weigh and spin test them and select the truest ones for hunting. The rest go in the practice pile. Before I start shooting practice broadheads I make sure that my bow is tuned to the max.. Nothing beats the confidence of knowing that your gear is dialed in. So if I miss, I know it's me and not the equipment.