IGNORED

DMZ5 - bizarre, not a single acorn to be found

JHbowhunter

I am sure some of you will reply with "i am in z5, and we are loaded with acorns". 

Usually my woods is carpeted by now, and not a single fresh acorn on the ground. I scanned both the reds and whites all the way to the treetops, and can't find a single one hanging..

Oh well - bumper crop of apples, except all the leaves fell off early leaving many under-developed apples.  Strange year for mast crop with all the rain would have thought great year for acorns. 

My woods are best when the acorn crop is "normal". 2015 was extreme crop, and hunting sucked. I never had a season where there were none. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

It might be due to some madman with a chainsaw on your property last year.  All the trees saw that and their nuts shriveled up.

I'm headed into the woods today to set my spot up for October.  I'll see if we have any nuts here.  My hazelnuts went berserk this year with three plants producing a few hundred nuts.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I noticed some northern red oak acorns on the ground in Sparta, zone 6, the other day.  Not many, but it's early for them.  Didn't notice my white oaks, but wasn't near many of them that day to notice.  I agree, Jack.  The heavy acorn years make it tough hunting because our property is nothing but 100 acres of oak trees.  Finding a few magic spots is always impossible and wherever the heaviest dropping trees are located, we just have a bear lying on them sweeping them into his/her mouth with its front paws. 

The big drop was two years ago.  Last year was normal in my area, but the year before was insane.  The key is having enough species of oak that some mast is falling every year if you don't have row crops to feed them.  Our forest that I manage in Sparta has northern red, chestnut white, scarlet, and white oaks in that order with a good mix of red/scarlet hybrids.