IGNORED

To Nuke or Not to Nuke?

Rusty

What are your thoughts on microwaving food?

I work with a woman that nukes her lunch everyday.  She puts seran wrap over her food then stares into the microwave as her food pops and sizzles.  The seran wrap melts onto her food and she pulls it off in gloppy chunks.   :shakehead:

I work with a woman that nukes her lunch everyday.  She puts seran wrap over her food then stares into the microwave as her food pops and sizzles.  The seran wrap melts onto her food and she pulls it off in gloppy chunks.   :shakehead:

That's a disturbing visual:-)

We have one, my wife uses it every now and then I never use it. I don't really know if its good or bad for you, I just don't have any need for it. Everything I cook or reheat goes on the stove top.

I don't nuke much, maybe one or twice a week. I also do most of my reheating on the stove top. I would think there has to be some long term health risks to people that nuke their food daily.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I honestly don't know how to use a microwave.  To make food that is.  I have been known to do experiments with tin foil and pencils.  I find that they're better to do physics experiments with.

My wife could not survive in the wild without one.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Every morning I cook a deer burger on a George Foreman grill. I put it in a baggie and bring it to work. At lunch I heat it uncovered on a paper plate in the nuker for 45 seconds. Then put it on a potato roll with cheese and ketchup. It's juicy and delicious!

Edited by Woodsman416

I use it for reheating foods like pasta, or a quickie grilled cheese, or nachos with using slices of cheese (that's the good stuff right there) on porcelain. BTW which teacher is that Rusty? The sacrilege of seran wrap in the microwave reminds me of someone. 

Actually, there is a very important role to plastic wrap in the microwave.  If you're going to reheat something, put 4-5 drops of water onto the plate your food is residing on.  Cover the whole thing in plastic wrap, sealing it.  Pop it into the nuker.  Microwaves agitate water molecules and create heat that way.  So the 4-5 drops of water turn into steam, and the plastic wrap will expand.  The steam will heat the food faster and more thoroughly while keeping it moist.  When the nuker is done, carefully remove the plastic wrap.  I can't tell you how many times I've gotten blisters on my fingers doing this, so you're forewarned.

Dirty little secret:  I used to work in various restaurants growing up and through college.  We used to cook pasta in the afternoon and chill it down with cold water.  Into a plastic bucket it went with a wet towel over it.  When someone ordered a plate, I'd go into the walk-in, grab a handful, pour some water into it, and nuke it for a couple of minutes.  Pour some red sauce over it, and dinner was served.  That's where I learned the water/plastic trick, and where I suffered with burnt finger tips.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.