IGNORED

looking for opinions on a blackfish rod

allmann

I want to get a rod dedicated to blackfish. I have been using a Trevala with an avet mx. I feel like I need a longer stiffer rod. What do you guys recommend? I will probably continue using one of my Avets. Also what lb braid do you use?

Thanks in advance

Everyone will have different opinions to the best rod for blackfishing. I have tried different models. I personally like a lighter jigging style rod with a lot of flex for fishing inshore and weights up to 7oz. Then I always bring a heavier rod for those days when you need 10 - 12 oz to get down there.
Learned the hard way that the heavy graphite rods are not good when fighting larger blackfish, you need a rod that bends and absorbs the runs. Way to many quality fish shook their way loose on the way up.

Currently I am using a Shimano Trevala jigging rod, inshore plenty of 5 -8 lbrs with a PB 12lber on this rod.
The heavier rod this year is going to be ugly stick Tiger Lite which we used in the Bahamas as per Jacks recommendation. Heavy Duty light and tough as nails for $70 really can't wait to try this one out in Nov and Dec. 

Edited by OMC

I suggested a few on the other thread you had.

best thing is to really fish with a few different rods under DIFFERENT conditions.

Then buy the one that felt best to you .

the reasons guys use a rod  between 7 and 8 foot  isnt just about rod length.

its some rods require a longer blank to get the extra back bone needed.

the rod I like best 1143 lami. if cut down to 7 foot is soft.

cutting it at 7'8 or 8 foot totally changes how the rod loads.

on most other rods I prefer 7 foot.

much of which rod you choose will also be based on the sinker weight you like to fish, as well as the size of the fish you target.

while fishing  lighter rod is def more enjoyable, IF targeting BIG blackfish , you want to have a rod that can stop the fish.

lts of variables, calls for a FEW rods LOL

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/