IGNORED

I somewhat disagree.  Yes, it's good to tag along with someone, but rest assured majority of trappers would rather see you learn on your own through trial and error and you will much more appreciate learning it that way.  By no means do I consider myself a seasoned trapper, but I really enjoy learning the game by myself on the trap line.  Don't get me wrong, I chewed many a ears off with questions LOL.  From the beginning I made my own snares and they worked, then Redneck showed me a better way to do it and they work better.  What I've learned is trappers are the most willing to help, but they will not do it for you.  Frustrating... yes, but you are about to venter into an addiction like none other.

Trappers are a completely different breed than other outdoorsmen

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Take the class make sure it is for you get a feel for the sport and than go from there I teach trapper ed if I had a dollar for every student who went full bore and purchased stuff in advance I'd have a ton of extra money not discouraging you by any means start small listen and learn than start gettin equipment any one who knows me knows that I will help anyone in the sport with info or helping them out All of the guys who teach the class will have suggestions on equipment etc listen and watch whomever it is they will all steer you in the right direction. You don't need a ton of gear you need enough to make quality sets that will produce

In the beginning set what you can handle after the catch putting fur up is the work trapping fur is easy put up is time consuming don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning

As far as a 22 goes pick up a old beater single shot you don't need anything special or fancy

Thanks very Common Sence  Reply  Pilgrim do you   Skin Bear   ;)  I guess times have changed to the Dark side I have had many people wanting to get interested in Hunting and Fishing Never once did I refuse to Buddy Up and lend a hand.  Some of those have returned that gesture 10 fold.  Just as the member that picked up some Brand new traps I offered Free Or the many deer I have skinned and Butchered. Hunting and Fishing to me is a Sport enjoyed with Sharing  I like helping when I can. 

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Any .22 chambered in Long will fire shorts, it just wont cycle another round. You will have to manually load it and you will have one shot at a time. You are only allowed to have any firearm loaded with 3 rounds anyway 

:up:  :up:

Any .22 chambered in Long will fire shorts, it just wont cycle another round. You will have to manually load it and you will have one shot at a time. You are only allowed to have any firearm loaded with 3 rounds anyway 

Any Rifle chambered for 22 LR - 22 Short Bolt action with a clip or not will chamber Shorts no problems.

The clips shown are from My Winchester 22 Cal Bolt action one is for LR the other for SR. 

someone said only 3 rounds allowed These Clips can be plugged for 3 just as any 5 Shot Shotgun has a Plug. Legally accepted.

If it was me IMO I would want more than a single shot in excitement you may Miss     :fudd:   :elch:  Guaranteed  ;)

Clips.jpg

IMO what you need is to Buddy Up with someone with some years of Trapping.   There are Trapping Clubs also get involved

it is more to it than just setting a trap the right way and dispatching what you trapped shooting destroys value. on small game. preparing Hides right 

A single shot is just that you get only one shot any Bolt Action or revolvers accepts LR _ SR - CB - BB Caps.

Autos present a problem.

A Good $$$$$$$$$$ Air Gun has advantages but has limited kill power. 

There are Air Guns for Simple Target to Air Rifles for Animals up to Buffalo ( American Bison ) and above.  

There are some good trappers on here Beg a little maybe u will get help  ;)

Plus what is your Choice Rifle or Pistol?

It makes no sense but, in our wonderful state you can't use a .22 pistol to dispatch trapped animals. .22 rifle or Air gun

It makes no sense but, in our wonderful state you can't use a .22 pistol to dispatch trapped animals. .22 rifle or Air gun

Like you said makes no sense in NJ.

like why I need to show by Purchasing ID to Buy 22 cal 410 Ammo just because they can be used in a Pistol. :rant:

Fred Myer stores in Alaska Need to show drivers LIC and They walk you from That department to the register and out the door :headscratch:  This store is a Costco Dicks Shop Rite Auto Zone all in One.  

I have a few 22 rifles,  they all work but have no magazines but their all worth 100 in the buy backs  so for $50  you drop the in the drink, dry em out and use again. perfect trapping rifle that you don't need to keep out of the briars .  also have ammo  with each purchase for a few bucks more.  Located In Clifton .  Paper work goes without saying.  One is a nice Browning Belgium made but without they make 2  mags and without them in my hand I don't know which one I need .

Edited by jerseyhunter

You don't have to have a gun to run a trapline , but it does make things a lot easier

Follow tinemaster and rgws advice, take the test and give it a try, if it is something you want to pursue, then look for a cheap, used single shot bolt action beater. Trust me, if you trap for long the gun will be used for lots of things and go through hell.

Also don't want to discourage, but most first time trappers do not buy a second license.