IGNORED

Im planning on taking trapping course next month or October so I going through all the gear I will need to give trapping a try and the biggest issue im having right now is the gun. I have a .22 mag that I know I can not use so im looking for a short but I can't find a .22 short, everything is .22lr or they can shoot s/l/lr but they want $350+ for it. All I want is a single shot .22 short ,noting fancy or that expensive.

Im planning on taking trapping course next month or October so I going through all the gear I will need 

IMO what you need is to Buddy Up with someone with some years of Trapping.   There are Trapping Clubs also get involved

it is more to it than just setting a trap the right way and dispatching what you trapped shooting destroys value. on small game. preparing Hides right 

A single shot is just that you get only one shot any Bolt Action or revolvers accepts LR _ SR - CB - BB Caps.

Autos present a problem.

A Good $$$$$$$$$$ Air Gun has advantages but has limited kill power. 

There are Air Guns for Simple Target to Air Rifles for Animals up to Buffalo ( American Bison ) and above.  

There are some good trappers on here Beg a little maybe u will get help  ;)

Plus what is your Choice Rifle or Pistol?

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

On another note why all the talk about Shorts if it is noise that concerns you  The CCI Low Noise bullets are quieter than the shorts big time have all the kill power you need  Just find the 22 rim fire you want and use the CCI My brother uses them in Alaska for Red Squrilles plus he has slicers on all his Rifles including 22 Cal that are quieter than any air gun. Google the CCI low Noise 22 Cal.   Plus the low noise equates to lower velocity and Range. since he is shooting those reds out of some trees over 200 this year and counting. 

quiet_22_longrifle.jpg

On another note why all the talk about Shorts if it is noise that concerns you  The CCI Low Noise bullets are quieter than the shorts big time have all the kill power you need  Just find the 22 rim fire you want and use the CCI My brother uses them in Alaska for Red Squrilles plus he has slicers on all his Rifles including 22 Cal that are quieter than any air gun. Google the CCI low Noise 22 Cal.   Plus the low noise equates to lower velocity and Range. since he is shooting those reds out of some trees over 200 this year and counting.

because for dispatching animals trapped in nj you are only allowed to use 22 shorts. Lr is a no no

because for dispatching animals trapped in nj you are only allowed to use 22 shorts. Lr is a no no

Thanks for the education never was involved inTrapping.

But had an NJ  Rifle Permit for chuck shooting with BP only that I let expire.  I would guess one would also need That. These SR will work in any Bolt Action rifle never saw one Marked any Differently. Just have to Xtra clean Chamber after their use. 

22_SHORT_CB_0026.jpg

Take the class make sure it is for you get a feel for the sport and than go from there I teach trapper ed if I had a dollar for every student who went full bore and purchased stuff in advance I'd have a ton of extra money not discouraging you by any means start small listen and learn than start gettin equipment any one who knows me knows that I will help anyone in the sport with info or helping them out All of the guys who teach the class will have suggestions on equipment etc listen and watch whomever it is they will all steer you in the right direction. You don't need a ton of gear you need enough to make quality sets that will produce

In the beginning set what you can handle after the catch putting fur up is the work trapping fur is easy put up is time consuming don't overwhelm yourself in the beginning

As far as a 22 goes pick up a old beater single shot you don't need anything special or fancy

IMO what you need is to Buddy Up with someone with some years of Trapping.  

I somewhat disagree.  Yes, it's good to tag along with someone, but rest assured majority of trappers would rather see you learn on your own through trial and error and you will much more appreciate learning it that way.  By no means do I consider myself a seasoned trapper, but I really enjoy learning the game by myself on the trap line.  Don't get me wrong, I chewed many a ears off with questions LOL.  From the beginning I made my own snares and they worked, then Redneck showed me a better way to do it and they work better.  What I've learned is trappers are the most willing to help, but they will not do it for you.  Frustrating... yes, but you are about to venter into an addiction like none other.

Edited by B B

Any .22 chambered in Long will fire shorts, it just wont cycle another round. You will have to manually load it and you will have one shot at a time. You are only allowed to have any firearm loaded with 3 rounds anyway 

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."