IGNORED

Recent Visit to Dicks

:cupcoffee:  This is not an attack on Hunting Since I enjoyed it for 56 years Started at 10 to about 11 years ago give or take.

When at dicks I took a slow walk thru the Hunting Section.  What I saw was unrealistic with all things available to day.  Cabelas was another story.   

My memories of local Sproprt goods Store back in Union ( HUFFS ) had a few Guns boxes of ammo. Quality Clothing Enter the photos of my father and I dressed in Woolrich and Thermal Underwear we both used Rem. 12 ga 1100 Bird shoot small game 00 buck for deer. Had areas we had regular spots we hunted in Sussex & Warren. the week before 6 day Deer Season. We would Scout and pick out a spot to Stand that Monday since we hunted the same areas during the small game we had a good Idea of the Habits of the deer. From Bedding to Feeding. 

Hunting pressure varied depending on the Weather but we always went.  Some land was Previte but for the most part Public Hunting Grounds. The Early year's deer were hard to come by their numbers were low in all of NJ The heavily Farmed areas had the Most The Wooded Sussex had few,

Our Success was low in the 50s - into the 70s had a better chance when the Party Permits and Doe Permits came about.

The 80s began a big improvement in the success the 90s were days of Plenty with Numerous deer taken.

In all those Years are methods and equipment remained the same, But for me and Black PowderCap  Ball Patch.  My preferred Method from day one when it started.

Remember This Is Not an Attack or a Put Down on anyone's Choices on How To Hunt or with what you Choices of Firearm. or Choice of what you Hunt.

BUT What happened to just Plain Hunting with out all the Bells and Whistles I see in the Stores and on Line.  The tradition and style of Hunting to me has been Lost.  

Do you Really need it all to HUNT The reward is Success in Harvesting a deer?

Might sound unfamiliar to many But I quit Deer Hunting when the people I Hunted with in a Freehold Gun Club had a very different Idea from me on Hunting It became Killing numbers and competition between Clubs.  

Maybe because my Son never took to Hunting after his first 2 Years at 10 & 11 YO. I lost interest as to me Hunting and fishing is a Sharing Sport.  Ending with get out enjoy your selfs time is passing memories are Comming. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

So you waited for the week before shotgun season to scout and you used 00 buck? Sounds like the typical 6 day crowd that is still ruining NJ hunting 50 years later.

I for one enjoy a slug gun, warm clothing and boots, and a comfortable place to sit. I enjoy scouting out hunting spots year round. I enjoy choosing a gun and ammo that I enjoy shooting. I enjoy handwarmers in my pockets on the coldest days. I enjoy having my bow tuned to perfection. I enjoy using a range finder in order to make an ethical shot. None of this is bells and whistles. Its the natural progression of things.

Do you still drive the same car that you drove 50 years ago or do you have a modern one with bells and whistles? What about the appliances and furnace in yout home? Are you posting your posts on a 50 year old computer?

You can't say "this isn't a put down to other people" and then proceed to put other people down. The good old days weren't all that good. The nostalgia they invoke is just a trick your mind is playing. We all yearn for the good old days, but when you stop and think about it you miss the experience and the people, not the crappy technology and lousy gear

Edited by not on the rug

I see the day when guys will be sitting in their offices and will be shooting remotely via a cellphone that is connected to a laser in a tree. There is a big difference between hunting and shooting deer.

How about hunting via drone? Sitting in your truck with a remote control and a hot cup of coffee. Lol

My Dad was 92 when he passed away 7 years ago.  He hunted until he was past 90.  I remember him commenting, "what ever happen to grabbing your hat, coat, gun and a couple of shells and going hunting?".  

God bless him Bet he had some Back in My Day Stories you in your 50s have lived thru my latter days of hunting I hope you carried on some of his Traditions.   if you have some Photos of your dad hunting please Share 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif