• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Please pass me up!

40 replies to this topic

#21 Male ONLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 03:16 PM

Well, I ain't overly picky about deer, I look to put meat in the freezer first and foremost, after that's done I get pickier, untill I start running low on meat, you see, I eat venison nearly every day, 

I was a big Venison eater loved the Liver & Heart. Then they said don't eat the Organs Heart Liver.  Then had Quadruple Bypass surgery at 35. Missed that years hunting so guys would fill my freezer.  My Cholesterol was always high and the reason for the Bypass never had a heart attack. Then a Visit to the doctor where my Cholesterol was very High.  Come to find out Venison is The Highest meat with Cholesterol.  been many years since then with just a Steak or Stew. But I still make about 100Lbs of Jerky for My Buddies each year.

It affects everyone differently.   Bonaparte 

• Disturbing x 1
  • List

#22 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 03:26 PM

This thread reminded me of something that happened several years back. 

Early bow season had come and gone without a buck. I hadn't seen a lot and because of work obligations I really hadn't had a lot of time in the woods. I was hunting private land on Round Mountain bordering the county park lands, normally a pretty good spot but, like I said, not so good that year for me. 

One day a found a scrape line going up the mountain above Rt 31. The next day I had off was a Friday. I climbed up the mountain early in the morning and set up my climber. I was situated in my stand at least and hour to and hour and a half before shooting light. Dawn came and I started seeing deer. The problem was, they were below me and sidehilling, all heading North. It was probably about 8:30 when I first saw the buck. He was a good buck, but this year he was a great buck. He was following the same trail the rest of the deer had been on and I thought he would pass below me out of range too. When the buck was directly down hill from me he stopped and turned uphill, he came walking right to me on a string. I heart shot him at ten yards. He tried to run, got tangled up in a blowdown and didn't make it 20 yards from me.

On the way home, I stopped at Sporstmans' Rendezvous to check him in. They knew me pretty well there, and after doing the paperwork, they would hand me the tag and I would attach it to the deer myself. So, I'm in the back of my truck, cutting the bucks leg to attach the tag. Like I said, it wasn't a huge deer,it had a seven point rack with about a 16" spread. Not huge but I was happy with it.  Another hunter walks up to the back of my truck, looks over the tailgate, looks up at me and says "Nice LITTLE buck". I was immediately pissed. It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it. His statement was dripping with arrogance and meant to be condescending and demeaning. 

I jumped over my tailgate and landed on the ground right in front of him. I mean inches. I was definitely invading his personal space! Now, I stand 6'3" and weigh in at about 220 lbs. Not huge but I'm happy with it. I looked down at this guy who stood maybe 5'7" or 8", moved my face even closer and said "Thank you. You're a nice LITTLE man!" I'm sure it's not what I said but how I said it that made the color drain from his face, and made him turn around without saying another word, walk back to his truck and drive away without ever walking into the store. 

I mounted that bucks rack on a plaque and I'm looking at it right now. Still smiling.....

Remind me to only ever say nice things about your deer Woodsman.   :rofl:

• Funny x 2
  • List

#23 OFFLINE   LittleM

LittleM

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 03:38 PM

We have different points of view on deer hunting.  But that's cool.  I'd kill that deer in a heartbeat, but only if it was the first down the trail.  But as we live somewhat distant from one another (I think), you / he are prolly OK.

• Like x 3
  • List

#24 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 03:57 PM

We have different points of view on deer hunting.  But that's cool.  I'd kill that deer in a heartbeat, but only if it was the first down the trail.  But as we live somewhat distant from one another (I think), you / he are prolly OK.

. I don't tell people what to shoot and I would congratulate anyone who shot that buck. I do realize this is NJ and unfortunately for those of us that prefers to shoot older bucks - we are in the minority.
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#25 Male OFFLINE   Roon

Roon

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 04:20 PM

Regardless of what the headgear is, they ALL look like this at the end game.

Attached Images

• 20170607_172451.jpg

• Like x 7
  • List

#26 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 05:23 PM

Regardless of what the headgear is, they ALL look like this at the end game.

. Looks great but why did you burn it?
  • Like x 1
  • List

#27 OFFLINE   GhostBear

GhostBear

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 06:47 PM

Look medium rare to me!! Yummmmm.
  • Agree x 1
  • List
Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

#28 Male ONLINE   LPJR

LPJR

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 07:28 PM

I won't, but I can't speak for the other guys.   :rofl:

I can speak for one of those guys.......I won't as well :rofl: 

• Funny x 1
  • List

#29 Male ONLINE   LPJR

LPJR

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 07:30 PM

Remind me to only ever say nice things about your deer Woodsman.   :rofl:

Remind me too! :rofl: 

#30 Male OFFLINE   Roon

Roon

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 08:15 PM

. Looks great but why did you burn it?

Blackened in cast iron skillet.
We make our steak here just like "Oprah" black on the outside and pink in the middle.
  • Informative x 1
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#31 Male ONLINE   LPJR

LPJR

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 08:36 PM

Blackened in cast iron skillet.
We make our steak here just like "Oprah" black on the outside and pink in the middle.

Love the cast iron skillet. Just lost my appetite though Roon.... :laughing: 

• Funny x 1
  • List

#32 ONLINE   Nomad

Nomad

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 08:42 PM

This thread reminded me of something that happened several years back. 

Early bow season had come and gone without a buck. I hadn't seen a lot and because of work obligations I really hadn't had a lot of time in the woods. I was hunting private land on Round Mountain bordering the county park lands, normally a pretty good spot but, like I said, not so good that year for me. 

One day a found a scrape line going up the mountain above Rt 31. The next day I had off was a Friday. I climbed up the mountain early in the morning and set up my climber. I was situated in my stand at least and hour to and hour and a half before shooting light. Dawn came and I started seeing deer. The problem was, they were below me and sidehilling, all heading North. It was probably about 8:30 when I first saw the buck. He was a good buck, but this year he was a great buck. He was following the same trail the rest of the deer had been on and I thought he would pass below me out of range too. When the buck was directly down hill from me he stopped and turned uphill, he came walking right to me on a string. I heart shot him at ten yards. He tried to run, got tangled up in a blowdown and didn't make it 20 yards from me.

On the way home, I stopped at Sporstmans' Rendezvous to check him in. They knew me pretty well there, and after doing the paperwork, they would hand me the tag and I would attach it to the deer myself. So, I'm in the back of my truck, cutting the bucks leg to attach the tag. Like I said, it wasn't a huge deer,it had a seven point rack with about a 16" spread. Not huge but I was happy with it.  Another hunter walks up to the back of my truck, looks over the tailgate, looks up at me and says "Nice LITTLE buck". I was immediately pissed. It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it. His statement was dripping with arrogance and meant to be condescending and demeaning. 

I jumped over my tailgate and landed on the ground right in front of him. I mean inches. I was definitely invading his personal space! Now, I stand 6'3" and weigh in at about 220 lbs. Not huge but I'm happy with it. I looked down at this guy who stood maybe 5'7" or 8", moved my face even closer and said "Thank you. You're a nice LITTLE man!" I'm sure it's not what I said but how I said it that made the color drain from his face, and made him turn around without saying another word, walk back to his truck and drive away without ever walking into the store. 

I mounted that bucks rack on a plaque and I'm looking at it right now. Still smiling.....

Did he bake you a pie to smooth things over? :lookaround: (inside joke from other site, Buckfever)

Edited by Nomad, 08/11/17 - 08:45 PM.

• Funny x 1
  • List

#33 ONLINE   Hunter115522

Hunter115522

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 08/11/17 - 09:51 PM

Come to find out Venison is The Highest meat with Cholesterol

That's not 100% true actually. It  depends on the different cuts. While certain cuts of venison do contain higher levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) then some cuts of beef, for the most part, venison is lower in LDL when compared to beef.

FROM HEALTHYEATING.COM

Cholesterol

Beef has more than three times more cholesterol than venison. A 4-ounce serving contains 20 milligrams. This same serving size of porterhouse steak contains 76 milligrams. The recommended daily intake for healthy individuals is 300 milligrams. People with coronary heart disease should take in no more than 200 milligrams a day. Adding butter to beef and venison will quickly increase the cholesterol content as well as the saturated fat.

FROM LIVE STRONG.COM

Cholesterol in Other Meats

A 3-ounce serving of broiled beef sirloin steak contains 75 milligrams of cholesterol, considerably more than in the same serving of broiled venison

Edited by Hunter115522, 08/11/17 - 09:51 PM.

#34 Male ONLINE   Zipper

Zipper

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 07:23 AM

Hunting is a highly personal matter. What you kill should be what satisfies you, not someone else. After many years of taking deer of all ages, I now prefer to target older animals. That's was I enjoy doing. You do what you enjoy.
  • Agree x 1
  • List
"All men die, not all men really live". WW

#35 Male OFFLINE   Pintail

Pintail

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 07:57 AM

The trophy isn't always what is on the animals head. Baked, broiled or fried the antlers still taste like crap.

#36 Male OFFLINE   Lphunsjr

Lphunsjr

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 08:02 AM

I hope he chases a hot doe to Z16 :praying:

• Like x 1
  • List

#37 Male ONLINE   hemlock

hemlock

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 08:35 AM

I hope he chases a hot doe to Z16 :praying:

They ain't leaving the comfort of jacks deer day spa. All you have to do is find a magic mud puddle like he has and you will have  every buck within a square mile sipping the magic brown water lol.

• Informative x 1
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#38 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 02:53 PM

Never found a Recipe for Antlers If its Legal Brown It's Down. 

Note for some reason I have seen some road Kills this week a Big Doe RT 9 Manalapan. Small ?? still with Spots Rt 520   2 Does Road Pizza Rt 34 Coltsneck. Was going to pick up the spotted one for the pot but it was hit the big time.  

Stay out of colts neck, nothing to see there, move on. 

• Funny x 2
  • List

#39 Male OFFLINE   Greybeard

Greybeard

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 05:41 PM

I've killed a lot that could call that buck daddy.  

I hunt for the bucks that are smart enough to get big, just to challenge myself.   Rarely will they give you an opportunity even when young. They don't need a pass to get big.  Any buck that keeps showing himself is no smarter than a spike in my book.  If a buck gives me a shot, he doesn't deserve a pass.  If someone else shoots a buck after I passed, then he doubly deserved to die.  The smart bucks you'll only get on camera at 2-3am, if at all.  Most likely he will only show up on camera once, because he rarely takes the same route twice.  Doesn't matter to me how big the antlers are on any deer.  They are all worth taking when I'm in the mood to do so, but hunting for, and outsmarting one of the old phantoms is my goal. 

• Like x 1
  • List

#40 Male ONLINE   hemlock

hemlock

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 08/12/17 - 06:10 PM

I like hunting older bucks and good head gear is a bonus.In my area most of the good gene bucks get shot at a young age leaving the bucks that were not so great to age and get  wise. So I fully understand the passing of a tall young buck they get snuffed quick. But if one just one slips through the cracks and makes it past 2.5 or 3.5 and I get a chance to hunt him it gives me something to strive for. But either way if a buck is a big older 4 point or 10 point I like the feeling of accomplishment I get when I do get an older buck it is awesome. But I expect a lot of the bucks I pass to get killed its part of the deal. It is a low odds game that makes it that much more rewarding to me.

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users