IGNORED

Total Eclipse of the Sun - August 21, 2017

Is anyone doing anything interesting to see the eclipse in August?

I am working in Atlanta this summer on a contract and am bringing my family down for the eclipse.  Atlanta is about a 2-hour drive to the total eclipse area, which runs through TN, GA, and SC (areas close to Atlanta).

Here's a couple of good websites if you're interested in this kind of thing.  The next two total eclipses are 2024 and 2045.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_20170821_pg01.html

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse.html

If I can get any photos, I'll post them here.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Not this one, but I plan to be skiing at Jay Peak during the April 2024 total solar eclipse, which falls on a Saturday.  It's going to travel almost smack-dab over the mountain.  We discovered this a few months back while researching the 2017 t.s.e.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

How do you photograph the eclipse?

Would a 300 mm lens with solar filter be enough?

This is a pretty good article to start reading.  I am going to use a 300mm lens because it's the largest I have.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/how-to-photograph-a-solar-eclipse.html

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

You need filters on your cameras and your eyes. You can ruin both if you are not careful

NASA has a great safety section on their website:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

On this page is one of the most important pieces of information for the public:

"Our partner the American Astronomical Society has verified that these five manufacturers are making eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers that meet the ISO 12312-2 international standard for such products: American Paper Optics, Baader Planetarium (AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only), Rainbow Symphony, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17."

There are a ton of eclipse glasses on Amazon for next to nothing, and they're all from China.  They claim to have these standards certifications, however, it's not on the packaging or imprinted on the product.  They're probably poor quality and won't keep your eyes safe.  I'm glad I read this before I bought the first $4 pair of eclipse glasses off of their site.  Instead I went to the manifacturer's site from the list above and got some certified and real gear.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Not this one, but I plan to be skiing at Jay Peak during the April 2024 total solar eclipse, which falls on a Saturday.  It's going to travel almost smack-dab over the mountain.  We discovered this a few months back while researching the 2017 t.s.e.

That's where I have been taking my children skiing for the last 20 years, up until couple of years ago they were getting over 400 inches of snow a year , that's 34 feet, that is amazing ! My daughter uses her french from high school there, they have probably 60 percent of the people that ski there are from Quebec (canada) . I lave been up there in early September and I get up by Jay VT and it starts snowing! Someone explained to me why it gets so much snow there but can't remember why! Gonna have to look up that eclipse!

Will this be something that can be seen here in NJ?

Yes.  NJ should see the sun between 72%-78% covered.  Should be pretty spectacular.  I think you'll see it start in NJ around 2PM, but I need to verify that.

Here is the PDF of where the eclipse will be crossing the US and the viewing times/%.

NASA_map_508.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 6.48.20 PM.png

NASA_map_508.pdf

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

How do you photograph the eclipse?

Would a 300 mm lens with solar filter be enough?

Sure but you would need a good filter. Then set your camera to 100 ISO and the smallest aperture your camera allows - the more speed you can get the better. You don't need powerful lens because you are not photographing anything with great deal of detail, like the moon for example.