IGNORED

What would you do ?

Let's say you're hunting a WMA this year, and you wanna keep your budget around $350 for a tree stand or multiple tree stands.

I can get a hang on with the right amount of pegs for $68 from dicks sporting goods. $68 x 5 stands = $340.

Or I could stretch the budget a little bit and get 1 lone wolf assault hand climber for about $370.

What would you do ? Having 5 stands already set up and ready to go sounds nice, but I learned the hard way last season how fast you can burn a stand. I've already made my decision and spent my money, but Id like to hear from you guys what you think the better idea would be. Hopefully my decision makes me more successful this year.

On the public land (WMA) that I hunt, I have two stands -- one for early season and one for the late season and I hunt them both sparingly so that I do not -- as you said, burn out the spot. Other than those two spots, my climber is always on my back and I get to spots that no one is willing to hunt and my spots stay pretty fresh throughout the season (s).

I've always hunted public land, and for me at least I found lock on stands to be way more versatile then a climber, I'm able to get to spots on trees that a climber can't use, in fact that probably why I don't see anyone where I hunt!! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

There are differences of opinions and methods from everyone. My take of it over the years is that with climbers you need to find good trees and they might not necessarily be in good spots. Loc ons can always put you in a good spot without necessarily needing good trees. Natural ground blinds can put you in all of the spots. The key to using loc ons is not blowing out the spots by over hunting them and hoping others are not hunting them when you are "resting" them. You can also over hunt a good tree with your climber. Pick your days for every area or spot you hunt with any method you use. Good luck.

There are differences of opinions and methods from everyone. My take of it over the years is that with climbers you need to find good trees and they might not necessarily be in good spots. Loc ons can always put you in a good spot without necessarily needing good trees. Natural ground blinds can put you in all of the spots. The key to using loc ons is not blowing out the spots by over hunting them and hoping others are not hunting them when you are "resting" them. You can also over hunt a good tree with your climber. Pick your days for every area or spot you hunt with any method you use. Good luck.

That's why I go in with my climbing sticks because I can get up any tree. I love using my climber but only use it in locations I am already familiar with, I know the tree I will climb before I get there.  

I hunt only private land and use my climbing stand more then anything. With valleys, ridges and benches that I hunt the wind directions are really never the same during bow season. Always have to adjust. We do have lock-ons and ladders to use for the easy in got out of work late stand, which also have proven themselves. But if I had to choose, I would go climber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk