IGNORED

Cost to rebuild a deck

mattg1500

I have a 14x14 wood deck and was wondering cost to replace it. Structurally its fine but my wife painted it with Deckover and it looks like hell. Id like new decking, vinyl railings and white facia boards on the outside. Thanks!

WTW about composite decking.  IT IS NOT MAINTENANCE FREE.   It also gets very hot in the summer. so much so that you can't walk on it barefoot.  So do your HW before you buy composite if you decide to go that way. 

OK, I just did this last year, but on a much bigger scale (one side of the deck was something like 20' by 15', the other something like 30' by 20' - some stupid crazy sized deck that I wish I never built in the first place back in 2001 - but that's another story). The framing and supports were fine - decking was in bad shape. Was about 15 years old and I just didn't take care of it the last 5 years.

First, buy the largest length lumber to fit the long runs. I bought the biggest I could get for the longer runs - looks much nicer when you have a single board rather than butting smaller lengths together. Also, the butt ends warp worse/easier then a solid run of wood (as my old decking can attest to). Just looks nicer if you have a 14 length deck to buy 14 foot boards, and easier to install (no need for measuring and cutting the butt ends).

Another recommendation - spend the extra money and BUY STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS. Don't buy that stuff from Home Depot (DeckMate or whatever) - the screws that they claim are outdoor deck screws but still rust over time. I was amazed when I demo'ed the old deck boards how many of those supposed outdoor screws were just completely rotted through with rust. They got so weak, they'd even snap as the boards warped and twisted. The stainless steel screws I put in last June look the same as when I first put them in. I don't see a spot of rust anywhere on them. I think they are definitely worth the money. I think they are going to last a long time.

Another thing - shop around for quotes! I got quotes from I think three or four lumber yards, some were much more expensive than others. Some yards couldn't get me 20 footers, others could by special order (and prices varied on those special order lengths).

Here's the monstrosity - actually, if you want one piece of advice to rule all others - don't build a deck, just pour a concrete patio :)

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

Broom it off with a good stiff broom, and restain with a paint roller.  Take you about an hour and look nice for 2 years. The spindles are a pain in the ass, let your wife or kids do them. 

Power Wash lightly not to create splinters.  Lunatic I have one if needed yours looks like that is all it needs. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I'm in the business of construction and building decks. IMO (sight unseen) I wouldn't put composite decking on a frame that old because you'll probably have to replace the frame much much sooner than the new deck boards. If you go the vinyl railing route don't cheap out and get a higher end railing because the cheap ones are flimsy junk that won't look good over a short period of time. I just redid my deck and instead of using vinyl I bought alluminum balusters and ipe deck boards for the top and it looks great and solid as a rock. Like others said if you get full sun on it don't go composite because it'll be so hot that not only you won't be able to walk barefoot the heat rising off it will make it uncomfortable just to sit out there.

image.jpeg

Cost on my 12x20 not including labor (I was the labor) was right at 2000$ that's new boards, posts, railing material and lumber for two new sets of stairs. My boards were a higher price because they're 20 footers. The railing cost me the most at 5$ a baluster and 55$ for 12 ft ipe boards.

Power Wash lightly not to create splinters.  Lunatic I have one if needed yours looks like that is all it needs. 

Good idea and I do have a power washer. Maybe that's the best way to go, what do I have to loose? I was ready to replace the deck anyway. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the offer and the idea \

if you want one piece of advice to rule all others - don't build a deck, just pour a concrete patio :)

I agree.. Decks are a thing of the past IMO.. They only look good for about a year... Concrete or stone or something along that line lasts almost forever...

:D

I agree.. Decks are a thing of the past IMO.. They only look good for about a year... Concrete or stone or something along that line lasts almost forever...

I agree My Wood Deck The Top with an overhang to the Bottom one with a Hot tub on it. That I built is showing some wear after more than 30 years. some 80Ft by 18 Ft of Pressure treated wood. Put some Water Proofing NOT Thomson on it a few times along with a light colored Stain NOT home Depot. Looks Like I am stuck with it a few more years till I sell My House.  

Wood is not for everyone.

A composition is not for everyone.  

Pavers and Block - Stone - Concrete  Is super Costly. One of my SIZE and ELEVATION  Close to  $4000. or more   Excavation, Foundation. Permits Zoning - Labor and Materials.   

I have Mario The Paver coming at noon tomorrow to give me an estimate for Cutting and Pruning My Trees Shrubs and Bushes. 

I can not do it anymore I will ask him what it might cost. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif