IGNORED

A holy sh#t late morning moment on my minerals today

JHbowhunter

I am going to break my two week rule and go pull my card, even though it's only been since this past Sunday. Ironically I had bee pm'ing with BHC about lucky buck minerals, should we referesh with all this rain, etc. I was bitching about my damn puddle filling in again and negating my mineral site.  Well 10:40 am I look out back and see brown all around the site (after flooding rains). I counted 7-8 bucks and a doe and fawn.  Two of the buck looked like shooters - but I need to pull the card now to confirm.   There as a lot of fuzzy bone in a very small area - excited to go pull, but I risk jumping them out of beds and ruining it.   Also there is always the chance I didn't put the camera switch in the on position and got no pics, but I am pretty sure I did set it properly last Sunday. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I may have to cancel the August bow shoot / pool party... can't risk spooking these guys out of the neighborhood...

I have lots of pics of that wide short-tined 10pt, as a similar 8pt last year.  I was pretty sure he survived to make it to age 3.... I can probably find a match to the taller 8pt as well, but the wide 10 - 100% no doubt. 

I snuck in and out undetected as soon as it started to pour again for some cover and scent dispersal. 

07140192.JPG

07140193.JPG

07140194.JPG

07140209.JPG

07140210.JPG

07140212.JPG

07140213.JPG

07140228.JPG

I shot a big 10pt once….

realistically - even the two biggest, need another year. I can't promise they get a pass from me, but they will look a lot smaller when the fuzz comes off and neither will even make 120" I think. Both are 3 year olds...  Hoping something more mature shows early season, and not have to wait for rut.      I love the picture of the fawn with all the men - "are you my father?  Are you my father?" is what I can imagine being said. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

As far as shooters are concern, we all agree shoot what you want, but depending on what your area normally produces these can be shooters.

For example the pictures of the various bucks I posted from the area I hunt are either above average or well above average for the area I hunt, where as these same deer from another part of NJ might be average

Definitely nice NJ bucks but not 'slammers' or 'hogs'.

I've only seen two "slammers" in NJ over the past few years and both were in z2, not near my house. One of which I missed last year.  The last true "Slammer" I have seen in z5 I shot in 2011. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

excited to go pull

Oh, my.

Sorry, had to do that. I'm getting drunk at the Delta club in Atlanta because my flight home has been delayed. I hope it doesn't get delayed any longer or I'm liable to get banned from this site too...

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.