IGNORED

Trailcams can be such liars.

Greybeard

Decided to put two cameras up in one spot because I couldn't cover all the trails and a clearing with one.  They were only 10yds apart at different angles.  The first camera was facing down the heaviest run trail, heading toward open fields of head high weeds, and facing an intersection with another heavy run trail that crossed it and went into the clearing.   The second camera was on the clearing, with the first camera in the upper left corner of it's pictures.

On the first camera, I had a lot of doe pics, and a few fawns coming and going on both trails, in all directions.  Nothing else.  I was thinking of getting my earn a buck doe there, then going elsewhere.

MFDC4182.JPG

Then I looked at the card from the second camera, and it told a different story.  They avoided detection from the first camera,  Think I'll be doing it this way more often.  And I'll give that spot a couple tries for a buck.

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0017.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

PICT0032.JPG

PICT0042.JPG

What do you think of the size of this bear.   I'm standing in the same spot.  I'd say he's a pretty good size compared to my stomach.   Looks to be as tall as the top of the camera in my hand, around 44".  Has small looking ears, too. 

PICT0129.JPG

PICT0131.JPG

I've seen quite a few that weren't afraid at all, and I don't want to meet up with another in thick brush.  Hoping they never close the season again.  At least that put some fear back in them.

I had a place in Warrant county loaded with bears. Every time I saw them they showed no aggressive behavior and in fact they were afraid of me. Nevertheless, it was not a good feeling walking in complete darkness to the stand over bait, knowing they were around. For the early morning hunts I had something with me beside my bow for protection :shock:  :happywave:  

I was charged once, and followed for a mile back to my truck.  Turned around in a swamp to see two following right behind me.  They did turn off the trail after I turned around, but I couldn't see where they went.  I got 5' off the ground in a climber and heard one following my trail to the tree, in the pitch dark.  It was directly under the stand sniffing the bottom of the platform.  Many times they tracked me to the tree, and were sniffing around the trunk.  Got down at night with the climber just as it was getting to dark to see, and heard what I at first thought was a rattle snake.  Looking on the ground I heard it again and turned around to see a bear right behind me chattering it's teeth.  I banged the sections together and it only went 5yds away, then sat there to watch me pack up.  Saw one cross in front of me while mountain biking.  It stopped when it saw me and came down the road toward me, then tried circling around me in the brush along the road.  It pushed me all the way back to the truck.

Edited by Greybeard

Not so unusual, this time of year bucks may as well be a different animal from does, does need very protine rich foods to produce milk for the fawns, a bucks food requirements are different, as such they segregate by sex, hence the batchlor groups we see all summer, Bucks will even run separate trails from does. That's one reason why posting cams in the summer can show only does in one spot, and only bucks in another, by fall it'll all change.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.