IGNORED

I Wish There Was An Open Season.

Tarhunt

You can hunt them all year long. If they are a threat to your livestock or property you can legally hunt them like you would during the season. The farmer or his agents can do it. The farmer has to give you a signed written document, designating you as his agent to hunt coyotes because they are either killing or threatening his livestock or property. I have this type of permission to hunt them and foxes all year long. If you need more information look at Hunting Digest they have a section on it describing it in detail.

Edited by Lunatic

You can hunt them all year long. If they are a threat to your livestock or property you can legally hunt them like you would during the season. The farmer or his agents can do it. The farmer has to give you a signed written document, designating you as his agent to hunt coyotes because they are either killing or threatening his livestock or property. I have this type of permission to hunt them and foxes all year long. If you need more information look at Hunting Digest they have a section on it describing it in detail.

Be careful - this isn't entirely accurate. Read page 27 of the digest, section "Wildlife Damage Control" and on page 28, section 'Farmer Regulations" - does not explicitly say if they are "threatening" or if they are just on the property. It only specifically mentions (quoting here)

"suffering damage from" (page 27)

"when found destroying" (page 27)

"when found destroying" (page 28)

"when found destroying" (again, page 28)

So no where does it say you may kill or trap at any time just because they are present or even threatening (the question would be: what is your definition of threatening? Just present? Walking across the lawn? Teeth bared? In any case, it never mentions the word "threatening"). They must be found actually destroying or have destroyed property, livestock, crops, or poultry.

I don't agree with it, but I'm just pointing out the words used. If it is true "The yotes are not killing his livestock" then that doesn't fall into the legal category here.

That said, if they are attacking the cats (i.e. property) then I can't see any CO giving you any problems since the cats would be "suffering damage from" yotes if they have been attacked.

My point is, don't assume just because you have coyotes (or fox) that are resident on the property that you can legally hunt or trap them. They must be "found destroying" or already destroyed ("suffered damage") property or livestock or crops for it to be legal.

Be careful - this isn't entirely accurate. Read page 27 of the digest, section "Wildlife Damage Control" and on page 28, section 'Farmer Regulations" - does not explicitly say if they are "threatening" or if they are just on the property. It only specifically mentions (quoting here)

"suffering damage from" (page 27)

"when found destroying" (page 27)

"when found destroying" (page 28)

"when found destroying" (again, page 28)

So no where does it say you may kill or trap at any time just because they are present or even threatening (the question would be: what is your definition of threatening? Just present? Walking across the lawn? Teeth bared? In any case, it never mentions the word "threatening"). They must be found actually destroying or have destroyed property, livestock, crops, or poultry.

I don't agree with it, but I'm just pointing out the words used. If it is true "The yotes are not killing his livestock" then that doesn't fall into the legal category here.

That said, if they are attacking the cats (i.e. property) then I can't see any CO giving you any problems since the cats would be "suffering damage from" yotes if they have been attacked.

My point is, don't assume just because you have coyotes (or fox) that are resident on the property that you can legally hunt or trap them. They must be "found destroying" or already destroyed ("suffered damage") property or livestock or crops for it to be legal.

I read it and I agree. I wish people who write these laws wrote them clear so we don't have to sit here wonder what they meant.

Here is what I read on page 28:

Farmers or their agents may shoot or

trap coyotes by lawful procedures at any time when

found destroying livestock or crops.

This indicates to me that if coyote killed your chicken you are allowed to go after it. Go after not only when caught in the act of killing it but anytime after. It think this is the correct interpretation for three reasons: 1. it does not say when found in the act of, 2. its states you can kill at any time and 3  may Trap coyotes when found destroying livestock of craps. 

I think the very last one tells the intent because no one can set up a trap a trap coyote if he could only do it while the animal is "in the act"

So that's part one,. 

Part two is the threatening vs destroying. I agree with you and no you can't actively hunt it just because it is looking at your chicken. You can kill it if its pursuing your livestock.  

In my case coyotes killed farmers livestock and therefore I am legal as his agent to trap them or hunt them any time as if the season was open. When they already killed, you can kill them on site because they are threatening and maybe this explains why I used the word threatening, which as you correctly pointed out doe don exist in regulations.

If the farmer wants to go after coyote on his farm, in reality he can do it any time..just think about it

If the farmer wants to go after coyote on his farm, in reality he can do it any time..just think about it

That's how I would approach it. If questioned, I would just say it killed one of my chickens and that would be that. If I'm a farmer and I have resident yotes running around, they ain't there for a tea party. If they haven't yet killed livestock or pets, they will.

I wish we did have an open season all year long. It's crazy how close these things live to houses and how wide spread they are getting. They are all over down here.