IGNORED

OBX pics

JHbowhunter

Enjoy. Looks better than my office. I used to go there when I was a kid and surf. Have fun and relax

I gave surfing a shot, as usual, the transition from knees to standing ended badly.....  Maybe try again today..

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

after a first week of great weather, the daily random T-storm pattern has moved in. I did meet up with an old friend that lives in Frisco I haven't seen since 2010 out at the point yesterday since his diesel F250 was rigged to get out on the beach and my GF's Honda Pilot was not. I love it out there, the fishing is so much better, just a variety of water conditions to choose from. I arrived to see a small shark being landed, a small shark being released, and one cut up on the beach. I got a line out literally only 20 yards from the sand, right at the tip of the "new island" that has formed at the tip. That place is shark central, they are swimming between the tip and the new island (just a big 1/2 mile long sandbar really).   I had a full size Penn reel loaded with 400yrds of 40# braid / 50# dacron backing. Put half a giant mullet on an 8/0 circle hook attached to 3 feet of 200# single strand wire, with 2 feet of 100lb mono as the final link to the braid. The third pic, shows exactly where I cast the shark bait.

Well when I wasn't paying attention of course, the rod doubles over and reel is screaming and there is a large shark heading to Key West and FAST..  Went to pick up rod and it went slack...   The shark bit through the 200# wire like butter, about 2.5 feet from hook.  That never happens!  Possibly a spinner shark, since I have been seeing them free jump a mile off the beach every day.   I then saw another small lemon shark landed, but that was not what I had hooked for sure.

Was also working two lighter rods with fresh live mole crabs for Pompano, southern whiting, croaker, etc - but only managed a tiny croaker, so the crappy fishing continues but I really love being out on that point...  It was interesting to see the drunken idiots walking neck deep holding their beer above water walking to the new island right through the shark infested waters at sunset.

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5642.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG

IMG_5648.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

Spend 1 year at Cape Hatteras.Good fishing but keep a eye on weather.Nor'easters are real bad down there.

I have been here a lot and mainly fished out on the point. I have seen the most insane fishing ever at times, especially during the October mullet runs when you drive on the beach in morning in the dark and start running over live mullet on the beach as they left the water to get away from marauding bluefish.   I have seen insane Spanish mackerel bites too. The sharking can be good there. Never was there for a good Red Drum bite though.

I shot a big 10pt once….

last post before heading back to the people's republic of NJ...  Wednesday morning got out with old shad fishing buddy Alex Craig at zero dark thirty, he went 2 for 3 on the redfish out in the sound on the grass flats, and I went 0-3 and am still thinking about the big one that got away, looked to be well over 30" which far exceeded the 18-20" fish we been getting.     Been doing a lot of fiance stuff  (yes... fiance, but no rush will be a few years).     Finally figured out how to catch some fish off our beach, turns out I was casting too far out, when the best fishing is literally no further than you can spit...  These southern kingfish, (or sea mullet, or southern whiting - but are really what we call kingfish in our surf), literally come right to the sands edge, to grab the plentiful mole crabs which are "free bait" / "best bait".  Once i stopped using the stand spike/dead stick and picked up a lighter rod and worked them slow right up to the last inch of water, I had some really good action on the incoming tide... I did even better going to a single 1/0 drop shot gamakatsu hook, behind a sliding 1 ounce egg sinker, and hookup ration increased dramatically. Kept three Wednesday afternoon  for an appetizer, and 4 Thursday afternoon for some fish & shrimp tacos. These fish are delicious and fight like hell for their size. They remind of me bonefish the way they fight, I only wish I bought a 4lb or 6lb outfit but on the 7' 8lb braid rod, still a lot of fun. I will bring lighter tackle next year.    Great two weeks, great weather overall although there is a T-storm or 3 every day and when it rains, it freakin' pours.

IMG_5669.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

IMG_5673.JPG

IMG_5676.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5679.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

IMG_5702.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5711.JPG